"Make the tile shiney"

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I was asked to do this for a ceramic tile job at a restaurant along time ago. So I researched it and told him putting a coating on ceramic is not recommended and will be a maintenance nightmare. Well he scoffed and said they do it all the time in florida so i didnt have an answer for him.
I want to hit him up for cleaning again so i want to be prepared. I cant get a definative answer either way and if you cant whats he talking about?

Bob Foster

A person who would wants a shiny tile finish in a restaurant is setting themselves up for a good lawsuit or a workers comp claim. I wouldn't do it. It's not that the shiny alone would not have a good not slip surface, it's when you add food grease and spills that are not water that I think it might be a problem.

Good question for Dana.

G

Remember; this tile is made to be slip resistant; Restaurant grade ceramic tile is not made to wax/seal. Tell custy he would do better letting you clean with your trusty grout wand and chemicals that are made tomake his floor look good.

I got approached by a Mc D's about this once; told him same thing. Did a good cleaning on it after taking years of grease build up; he told me it looked like i waxed it.

P.S. I am in Florida other than a special chemical process that doesn't leave a wax residue it is a chemical firing process; I know of any other way recommended on shining ceramic tile. This process is usually done before firing in a kiln; so it isn't something you can duplicate on site in an occupied building; I have seen it done on new construction under heat lamps.

Gary T

Joel, you were right in your post. Putting a topical on any tile, especially a high traffic area such as a restaurant will be a maint nightmare. Just because someone does it in Fla doesn't mean its right. Also what type of tile do they do it to in Fla?
There is a ton of saltillo down there that looks like crap because of the topicals put on it in high traffic areas. How many times does it have to be refinished?

I do not recommend this in this situation, but there is a very good product for non-porous tile. It is called Tile Cover by Aldon Chem (www.aldonchem.com) I have used it in several resi setting with great results. Remember, if you try this, the floor is yours with all the pitfalls that may accompany it. Also Aldon has very good products, but their support leaves a ton to be desired.

Steven, Shine & Seal is an excellent product but is for porous surfaces. I use it on slate all the time and it it works great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom