Marble?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Hub' started by SamIam, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SamIam
    SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
    sam miller
    IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3404.JPG

So I went and looked at this, still haven't bid on it.

1091 sq ft some huge piece of furniture.

Lip page and they want it honed and polished.

Are pads better then 3 inch diamonds

For uneven flooring? It's not horrible but it's huge, half the floor was covered hard to tell condition.

I just don't want to get into a 3-4 day job work my ass off and not have a real happy customer.

They seam picky. And for the $$$ I would be too.
  2. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    Pads will not work to prevent lippage. When pads are used on an uneven floor, there is more likely to be a window pane effect.

Measure the lippage. You will need 3" diamond disks to correct minor lippage. More severe lippage will require more than the 3" discs, probably metal bars. Once the lippage is removed, there will be 4 or more polishing steps to get to the point they probably want it.

This will be a big job.
    SamIam and Jim Pemberton like this.
  3. Jim Pemberton
    Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.

Name:
    Jim Pemberton
    Note the dog food dish and leash around the chair.

That floor will be scratched up again the day you are done. I'd be sure to be talking about that to the customer.

Super picky....but I bet the dog can urinate anywhere it wants.

I'm not bitter about it....those animals pee liquid gold for our industry....but just be sure they have this in some perspective.
    Lee Stockwell, Cleanworks and SamIam like this.
  4. clean image
    clean image

Name:
    Carl Maddock
    May be a a breccia. Also looks to have some onyx in there. Highly variegated

We never use DIP for restoring polish to Marble

lippage may or may not cause pic frames. Or knock you resins of every 20 seconds. You need to quantity the lippage. Too much and it may require grind for proper refinish

As a beginner If they want ground flat - refer it out

If standard refinish - 220-Up. Compound. Then you want to make sure your well versed in using different compounds.

Not a beginner job
    SamIam likes this.
  5. SamIam
    SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
    sam miller
    Ya I did an entry for a repeat 120 sq ft got the framed look from the lippage there 400 800 polish with emp.

I hate stone!
  6. SamIam
    SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
    sam miller
    I need to get the metal to knock it flat but I'm guesssing they're not gonna want to pay for it.
  7. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    For the $10,000 I'd charge, I'd drive to California and let you buy lunch. Get @Cameron DeMille or @ted mcfadden to talk you through it. If in range, share the job with one of them and you'll come out with a PHD in stone refinishing.
    SamIam and Cleanworks like this.
  8. SuperDave212
    SuperDave212

Name:
    David
    roja alicante....u can put the 3 inch pads on a hogs hair pad instead of plastic drive plate to help with pic framing and learn how to polish real well and you'll be fine...I love stone;)
    SamIam, Old Coastie and Mikey P like this.
  9. Wandslinger
    Wandslinger

Name:
    Tom Meyer
    Stick with cleaning Section 8 rentals....
    SamIam likes this.
  10. srosen
    srosen

Name:
    stuart rosen
    1100 sf of Marble with lippage and a very picky customer could potentially cause you some issues.
    From the pics it looks do-able. The grout lines are filthy(but they look unsanded)-I can see some wear in the face of the stone.
    You could start with 220 resins up to 800 or 1800 and powder polish with dynamite or MB-22.
    We would probably charge for a job like that in our area over $5 sf.
    There are tools and techniques to deal with the lippage and picture framing.
    With some support I think you would be fine.
    I agree with Stephan-Give Cam or Ted a call-Am not sure but they may have an open spot in their next class.
    Who knows, besides the great experience you will have you may even fall in love-with stone.
    scottw, Mikey P and SamIam like this.
  11. Paul
    Paul

Name:
    Paul Notarstefano
    Pads won't work that well for uneven floor, go with 3 inch diamond.
    Mikey P likes this.
  12. Stephen D. Gillett
    Stephen D. Gillett

Supportive Member

Name:
    Steve Gillett
    • I always charged extra for moving furniture (4 man hours). One hour with 2 guys to move it out and one hour with two guys to move it back.
    • 3" pads are ideal for bad lippage. If it's only a handful of tiles, I have put a 3" electroplated 220 0r even 120 on my Makita and just knocked down the edge to make a bit of a ramp. This would be for folks that don't want to pay for "Lippage Removal", I called this "Lippage Reduction". The floor will be smooth but not flat. That way when you run the DOT pad over it, you won't hear that clacking.
    • If the lippage is minimal (less than the thickness of a dime) I would use a Diamond-on-top (D.O.T.) pad. It looks like I might start this floor at a 220grit, then 400, 800, and possibly 1800 before a powder polish. A test spot would be Ideal for this.
    What do you usually use for a final polished finish? a powder polish, high grit mechanical, or Crystallizers?
    I hope you take it. It may be a tad bit of a challenge, but worth the experience. I'd be willing to help trouble shoot if you get in a tight spot.
    Old Coastie likes this.