Mark my word...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
No put the gun on a quick connect at the end of the 3ft hose.

We use just the gun to rinse showers, wash the trucks, rinse lint filters, dirty hoses, muddy shoes, CRBs...you name it.

Make a 3 foot hose connect it with a 8006 jet and wash down filter and tools at the truck fast!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I worked for 4 cc outfits, including Stanley Steemer of Rochester, NY, before having the opportunity to give it a whack on my own.

There were MANY things that impressed me about Stanley and some things that didn't. I loved how we kept the trucks nice and clean at the end of EVERY day. I loved the systems in place and that we methodically worked the system, job after job.

I HATED the high pressure sales, if I wanted to make any money at all.

Like, REALLY hated it. I felt embarrassed a lot of days when I was paired with the most high pressure guys. I couldn't believe how bold and pushy some of the guys were.

I was the opposite so I made no money with Stanley. The pay was truly miserable because my upsales were just not there.

When I first started on my own it took me YEARS to take my eyes OFF of Stanley, even though I rarely see them where I live now.

I knew they were successful and tried my best to emulate them. My pricing was per room and often closely reflected whatever I saw them doing at the time. My pricing had little to do with my business and everything to do with theirs. HUGE mistake. I could't be profitable by playing their game. I had to change it up.

It was a real grind, trying to be something that I'm not.

Real success didn't start to come until I began to realize the importance of maximizing MY strengths. I began to engage in my craft like never before. I found this place and dove in. I implemented piece by piece, learning that I often have to try something for a week or 2 before I really know if I like it or not.

A simple pre vacuum and mechanical agitation using a CRB or rotary is enough to set a cc biz apart in many markets.

My confidence grew so my customer interaction really improved. I started to believe I was the best and the homeowner picks up on that. I take my time with any interested homeowner, telling them just what we will be doing and why.

I've heard Zero Rez spends a fortune in my market on radio advertising. I've heard 30K a month but can't verify if that is anywhere near true but I will say they are on EVERY major station near me A LOT.

There was a time that this would scare me to death.

That time has passed. I'm as in tune with my market as any franchise owner near me. I got here by personally serving thousands of customers in central IA.

I'm small, so I'm nimble. I can change directions on a dime.

That being said, I'm vulnerable and envy the security some of these big guys enjoy.

I'm constantly working on getting bigger and better without losing site of what has gotten me success.

Maximizing MY strengths and trying to iron out my weaknesses.

This is getting long but it's a great thread. I know Marty will chime in and complain about how wordy it was so I'll go for now.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The Oreck would be far better than the Royal for most Stanley franchises...or residential owner/ops.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That being said, I'm vulnerable and envy the security some of these big guys enjoy.
Not to take anything away from these guys, but I wonder, assuming you mean financial security, how much financial security these guys really have?

With sky high monthly expenses, they all start the month with a set & huge expense, therefore I wonder how much security they really have when the economy skids?

I personally know a person who sold his very successful business to Nabisco. Made a mint. He didn't want or intend to sell and Nabisco were very nice about it and told him that its not a problem yet he should know that they intend to enter the market and offer a product similar to his.
He decided to sell. They paid him handsomely and hired him to keep running his former own company. Only after he worked for them, he told me that he realized he could have very successfully competed with them.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I was thinking mostly physical security. I’m amazed at what we’ve been able to accomplish with one truck on the road and an extremely charming wife answering the phone.

Reactions: Mikey P and FB7777

steve_64

Still cleaner than when we arrived. Plus my customers love s low price... if I need to decontaminate everything that comes into their house between jobs that’ll get expensive and my techs will be taking 5 showers a day :lol: and realisticly it’s quite easy to roll the brushed backwards and suck the junk out with your vac hose between jobs without getting in super clean mode
I tore mine apart yesterday after a job on Saturday. It didn't look bad till took it apart. The brushes stank like like an ashtray. Had to soak them for over an hour to get it out. Just cleaning the whole thing took almost an hour to clean because I pulled all the bearing covers too.

I would've stunk up someone else's carpet if I had used it in another home that way.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was thinking mostly physical security.
This does cause me to be extremely careful on the job.

genuine concern work or play for the one truck/one man biz model
Pulled a hamstring twice (one hobbled me real bad)
all from "play"

rolled ankles, twisted knees minor and more than minor, razor burn.....
That kind of stuff WILL happen , and we're generally able to muddle thru somehow
(assuming one's not a sissy/cupcake/candyazz)
and you didn't rupture your liver in a hi-speed turn skid into a tree........

but the truth is, no matter how safe/cautious one is....you can still be T-boned or head on'd by a drunk or texter

start thinking contingencies now.
Maybe find a part timer to break in if disability ins is out of the question due to cost/risk analysis .....or other

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Russ T.
F

FB7777

I’m afraid I’ll break a leg again or something.

This does cause me to be extremely careful on the job.
That fear is good

It keeps you from being complacent and reckless with finances during good times

It's rare that guys run a wand for 25 plus years to build for retirement, and the ones that do typically don't grind out the kind of revenue they did in their 20s and 30s

You're smart , set your goals and you'll reach or exceed them... without them you're fooked

steve_64

I tore mine apart yesterday after a job on Saturday. It didn't look bad till took it apart. The brushes stank like like an ashtray. Had to soak them for over an hour to get it out. Just cleaning the whole thing took almost an hour to clean because I pulled all the bearing covers too.

I would've stunk up someone else's carpet if I had used it in another home that way.
And I charged $250 for 3 rooms. Going back to pressure wash the front and side for $400.

But go ahead and do a cleaning with vac attachment spraying whatever then take it apart and see how much is stuck inside. I learned my lesson from not taking care of it the first year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom