Maximizing Suction

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Im curious to know .. does your vacuum pressure increase as your tank space decreases?

Would you have better suction if you ran with a 50 gallon waste tank pumping into a 100 gallon auxiliary tank as opposed to using a 150 to begin with? Would it be better to allow the waste tank to fill near the limit before pumping out?

Would a portable extracter have better suction if the waste tank was split between the two motors on a dual parallel system? On an average 12 gallon porty .. give each vac motor a 6 gallon tank with its own 2in inlet then going 4 to the Y to the 2in vac hose

If youre wondering which tank will fill up first .. both 6 gal tanks will have a small opening at the bottom of the dividing wall to fill each side evenly .. once the water fills over the opening, the individual tanks will become seperate chambers

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I wouldnt think so. The only difference would be the time it takes to create the desired pressure within chamber to get the Hg. To increase suction pressure in chamber is to get bigger blower. As for improved airflow via tube, youll want bigger hose to create less friction for increase CFM, bigger blower if you want optimal lift at a desired distance.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Larger empty tank takes longer to get maximum lift (larger capacity), and also holds lift for longer when you lift wand (larger capacity) happy to be smacked down by those who know better..

:lol:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
That works too. I would imagine that difference would be negligible with a good TM.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Its all energy and how fast and how long it takes your unit to build and store this energy. A smaller tm with a smaller tank builds and keeps this energy better than a small tm with a lager tank.

A large unit with a large tank does very well.

Just see how long it takes your unit to build back to hg setting on your panel.

Now vacuum flow is a different question and a longer conversation.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Im curious to know .. does your vacuum pressure increase as your tank space decreases?

Would you have better suction if you ran with a 50 gallon waste tank pumping into a 100 gallon auxiliary tank as opposed to using a 150 to begin with? Would it be better to allow the waste tank to fill near the limit before pumping out?

Would a portable extracter have better suction if the waste tank was split between the two motors on a dual parallel system? On an average 12 gallon porty .. give each vac motor a 6 gallon tank with its own 2in inlet then going 4 to the Y to the 2in vac hose

If youre wondering which tank will fill up first .. both 6 gal tanks will have a small opening at the bottom of the dividing wall to fill each side evenly .. once the water fills over the opening, the individual tanks will become seperate chambers
The difference between a 65gallon tank and a 100gallon tank is minimum to none on a truckmount. There might be a slight difference in how long it takes for the mercury to rise but when you take the time it takes on walking from your van to your wand after you've increased your rpm, that's the time. So you shouldn't be able to tell a difference.

Now if you're installing an Aerotech tank on your tm??? Well, you're not installing one of those, so it doesn't matter.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Someone made a good point in a thread several months back saying..."does your suction increase as your tank gets full of water? No it doesn't." So that should answer your question on this thread.

Reactions: Spurlington

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
does your vacuum pressure increase as your tank space decreases?

If "vac pressure" means lift/HG, the answer is no.
Regardless of tank size, or blower size the HG will be whatever the vac relief valve/spring is set at....lets say 14hg
be it a 36 or 68 blower...14 hg is 14 hg is 14 hg...period

The amount of "recovery time" (time it takes to evacuate all the air in tank and hoses before rise to 14hg) is really what we're talking about.

I can only tell you it makes no practical difference with an empty 110 gal tank compared to a near full one (equivalent to 20gal tank) w/45 blower @14 hg

..L.T.A.

Reactions: DAT and Hack Attack

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PEE-ESSS

know where recovery times have been more noticeable to me ???
Long hose runs.....

Next time you have 250ft or more run down a corridor or large rm, cover the cuff and watch the hose tighten and shrink.
Max hg won't happen til all the shrink is out...going by memory, that can take a second or more

any of you guys that can count past 20 (not me) tell me what volume/cubic ft of air is in 100ft of 2" hose?
100ft 2.5 hose ?
and volume/CF in a hundred gal tank?

tankz a bunch

..L.T.A.

Name
Jeff T
Ill wait for the Sutley's Steps To Success VHS to explain this all to me.
Just make sure he sends you his ‘smoked tofu’ air freshener, instead of BACON..... it’s option ‘B’ when you speak to the rotary phone operator......

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
For long hose runs, you should consider some sort of butterfly cutoff at the wand.

Fortunately, I never have long hose runs because why? Read the sig.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
our relia built has a tall skinny 75gal waste tank and it charges up the lift noticeably faster than our 150 gallon TNT machine.

it also has 3 more HP though and runs on gas instead of propane on the TNT, so hard to tell how much of it is because of the tank or the power of the machine

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
PEE-ESSS

know where recovery times have been more noticeable to me ???
Long hose runs.....

Next time you have 250ft or more run down a corridor or large rm, cover the cuff and watch the hose tighten and shrink.
Max hg won't happen til all the shrink is out...going by memory, that can take a second or more

any of you guys that can count past 20 (not me) tell me what volume/cubic ft of air is in 100ft of 2" hose?
100ft 2.5 hose ?
and volume/CF in a hundred gal tank?

tankz a bunch

..L.T.A.
1. 100ft 2" hose=
8.7269953293 cubic feet
2. 100ft of 2.5" hose=
13.6353847812 cubic feet
3. 13.3689839572 cubic feet for 100 gal tank.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks Derrick!!
100ft of 2.5 hose has more air to evacuate than a 100 gal waste tank...

while you have your slide rule out...how long would it take to evacuate all air from a system with 100 gal waste tank and 100ft of 2.5 with a 50ft 2" whip @ 300cfm ?

thanks again

..L.T.A.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
You guys are so lucky you can ask alexa to solve your math problem. Im stuck with a calculator...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom