Mechanics tool set?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I'll be wrenching on the Butler, changing belts and fluids. I should be prepared on the road too, for small repairs.

Is there a pretty minimal and compact set that is also good quality and easy to work with? Something that doesn't rattle around in the van also. I see some on Amazon in hard cases but thought I'd see what kind of snark Marty will come up with when a fella is simply looking for some tools!

Recommendations?

I'd like to find a small set of essentials to keep on each van.

Thanks!

Name
Matt Ross
Harbor frieght. I have 10k plus in tools inside my snap on box and those break just as often as my harbor frieght set I keep in my work truck. Older snap on tools are much better. New stuff not so much.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'll be wrenching on the Butler, changing belts and fluids. I should be prepared on the road too, for small repairs.

Is there a pretty minimal and compact set that is also good quality and easy to work with? Something that doesn't rattle around in the van also. I see some on Amazon in hard cases but thought I'd see what kind of snark Marty will come up with when a fella is simply looking for some tools!

Recommendations?

I'd like to find a small set of essentials to keep on each van.

Thanks!

Hey Russ T

Take a look at this on this thread I started...

http://www.mikeysboard.com/threads/nice-little-tool-storage-case-we-found.284622/

And we just throw in some essentials and go to that kit a lot such as some common open end and box end wrenches, Vice Grips, Crescent Wrenches, Teflon tape, Mulit use Screwdrivers (all in one kind) hex key wrench set, pretty basic stuff.... And then we do carry a larger Craftsman set in plastic carry case...which we have probably only used 3 times in 5 years....

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Hey Mark! I'm headed out to do a smaller commercial job this morning. I may give a call during, or after, to chat all things Butler. I'm kinda nervous about changing all the belts and fluids myself, but this is ONE of the reasons I chose Butler!

If my next 3 Sunday's weren't spoken for, I'd be heading up to see you guys!

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mikey P

Administrator
Those kits have lots of stuff you wont need. Go hit up Home Depot for good enough cheap tools. Harbor Frieght is ok for tool that don't pivot, twist or move.

and even thier screwdrivers suck

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Harbor freight here. Get a good pair of vise grips too. Nothing better to change out quick connects.

steve_64

My harbor freight adjustable wrenches all rusted up. A good smack on the driveway gets em working again but I like my Craftsman tools better.

Channel locks adjustable wrenches a flat and a Phillips screwdriver. Hex wrench set welding torch tip cleaners and a good razor knife.

I'd stay away from a hardcase kit. Just get a small plastic toolbox or a tool bag.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The repairs you're going to run into every day are going to be pretty minor

For the truck toolbox:
-Small plastic tool or tackle box that will fit in the top shelf of your chem rack.
-Spray lubricant of your favorite brand. Spray on cheap tools to slow rust.
-Adjustable wrench. Buy a decent quality. Junky ones will damage your fittings.
-Flat/Phillips screwdrivers
-Hex wrench multi-tool. These and the screwdrivers are used to tighten furniture legs to change a potential claim into an extra special service.
-Vise grips. Buy decent quality.
-Duct tape. If this doesn't fix it, use the vise grips to tear it off the rest of the way.
-Sink adapters. We found a four-way that fits 90% of faucets, and another that fits most of the rest.
-Replacement plug and socket quick-connects. If they leak when disconnected toss them.
-Quick connect o-rings. If the fittings leak when connected the o-rings need to be replaced.
-Large safety pin or small awl. To pull the damaged o-ring out. The fastest, cheapest way to fix a leaky fitting.
(NOTE: If your o-ring is damaged, it's from dragging the plug over sidewalks until it has brass spurs sticking out of it. When you connect, the brass shards cut the o-ring. Use your pliers to smooth any snags on the plug so you don't ruin your newly replaced o-rings.)
-Teflon pipe thread tape
-Electrical tape
-Razor knife

I wouldn't plan on changing belts or doing oil changes at the curb between jobs, so keep your full tool set at your shop... unless you have a Vortex or one of the crazy slide-ins that require a ride-along mechanic.

Name
Nate W.
I wouldn't plan on changing belts or doing oil changes at the curb between jobs, so keep your full tool set at your shop... unless you have a Vortex or one of the crazy slide-ins that require a ride-along mechanic.

From what I've heard through the grapevine, you guys only change the filter and not the oil?!?:stir:

@Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The repairs you're going to run into every day are going to be pretty minor

For the truck toolbox:
-Small plastic tool or tackle box that will fit in the top shelf of your chem rack.
-Spray lubricant of your favorite brand. Spray on cheap tools to slow rust.
-Adjustable wrench. Buy a decent quality. Junky ones will damage your fittings.
-Flat/Phillips screwdrivers
-Hex wrench multi-tool. These and the screwdrivers are used to tighten furniture legs to change a potential claim into an extra special service.
-Vise grips. Buy decent quality.
-Duct tape. If this doesn't fix it, use the vise grips to tear it off the rest of the way.
-Sink adapters. We found a four-way that fits 90% of faucets, and another that fits most of the rest.
-Replacement plug and socket quick-connects. If they leak when disconnected toss them.
-Quick connect o-rings. If the fittings leak when connected the o-rings need to be replaced.
-Large safety pin or small awl. To pull the damaged o-ring out. The fastest, cheapest way to fix a leaky fitting.
(NOTE: If your o-ring is damaged, it's from dragging the plug over sidewalks until it has brass spurs sticking out of it. When you connect, the brass shards cut the o-ring. Use your pliers to smooth any snags on the plug so you don't ruin your newly replaced o-rings.)
-Teflon pipe thread tape
-Electrical tape
-Razor knife

Beautiful thing about the Butler...to change the blower belts and cat pump belt...I can do it with no wrenches....

For the Front of the van belts...have done it in a driveway of clients home couple times...only need 3/8 inch ratchet wrench to get er done! :rockon: (and a long sleeve shirt not bad idea when they are still hot....ouch!) :shifty:

Reactions: Russ T.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom