"Mexican Tile"

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have received a call from a customer who says she has "Mexican Tile"' in her kitchen that is looking dull and dirty. I assume this is a natural product (clay?) that has had some sort of topical sealer put on it. Since I have never done one of these that looked shiney, I anticipate it's an after installation topical sealer?

These sealers don't normally need stripping, do they?

Wouldn't I just clean it good and then re-apply a sealer?

I should avoid an acid based cleaner ... right?

Name
Bruce
admiralclean said:
I have received a call from a customer who says she has "Mexican Tile"' in her kitchen that is looking dull and dirty.

Are you stereotyping ? :shock:

I have no answer to your question, sorry

Gary T

"Mexican Tile" as referred to by your custy can be several types, saltillo, terra-cotta, quarry. Some come factory finished with a glaze, or topical. Many are "finished" on-site with a topical. You may need to do a little testing.

A few drops of acid on the grout resulting with a "fizz" will tell you if it was factory finished. Do this in several spots to determine if the sealer may have worn off the grout. This will not tell you if it is glazed or or not, only that it was factory finished.

Testing with a floor stripper or scratching with a pocket knife can determine sealed or glazed.

If glazed, clean normally.

If the sealer seems in sound condition, you can clean and add more topical. High solids, non penetrating, are what to ese on top of another topical.

If the finish is flaking or peeling in places, you may need to strip and re-finish. You'll need a topical for porous surfaces, or seal the tile with a penetrating sealer and then apply topical. 3 coats minimum.

Aldon chem has outstanding products, but their custy service blows. I have heard good things about Glaze & Seal but have not used them. Hillyards Terrazine also has very good reviews.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The husband laid this tile himself and says he applied the sealer. The sealer is in pretty bad shape with scratches and black heel marks, chair damage, etc. I suspec that stripping is what's really needed, but I'm afraid to strip it for fear of damaging the tile. I told her I would clean it and then she could apply another coat of the sealer.

However, once I "clean" it, I don't think it's going to look all that much better and she's going to as about stripping it.

Do I just use common stripping chemicals ... like Spartan products, etc?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Sounds like it needs stripping. Hopefully he put down a water based topical vs some kind of polyurethane.

Test your stripper in a few areas (traffic and and close to the wall) to see what dilution you'll need. Some of these can be a pita. If it's porous it's important that you suck out the dirty slurry right away or it may get absorbed by the tile.

Albert

Gary T

You won't damage by stripping. Johnson's Fastrip/Butcher's Wild Rapids will do the trick nicely. Test what you have on hand. Also, let it dry for 3-4 days before any sealer/topical is applied.

Gary T

Because it's really not worth taking the chance that there is moisture left in that stuff. As you know, it is like a sponge. You just had a fun time stripping it once, why do it twice if you really don't have to. Guys will come on and say, "I do it next day all the time and nothing bad happens."
Personally, I ain't taking that chance if it is at all avoidable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom