Mildew chemicals

WillH

Name
Capital region carpet cleaning
Hi everyone I have a customer who asked if I could get a chemical that kills mildew and slows it growth . They have a damp basement in the summer. Thanks for the help

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Great point Steve!

Controlling the environment is the long term solution.

Their best move would be to have you HEPA vacuum any existing growth. Then apply any antimicrobial liberally, followed by Drying it down.

Wear PPE and the homeowners should consider leaving during the process. Staying away several hours until dry. Run an Air scrubber if you have one or rent one.

The dehumidifier should keep the humidity under control.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For persons who are sensitive to mold (not likely to be mildew), even "dead" mold is harmful. Killing mold is rarely the right goal. As Richard pointed out the goals should be 1) Remove such as by HEPA vacuum and then 2) Prevent regrowth by controlling the humidity. Usually means a dehumidifier for a long-term solution.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
It sounds like the mold has developed in to mycelium. If so will hepa vacuuming be enough to remove the hyphae that has grown into the food source?

Is this a finished basement with sheetrock walls, carpet and furniture?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It sounds like the mold has developed in to mycelium. If so will hepa vacuuming be enough to remove the hyphae that has grown into the food source?

Is this a finished basement with sheetrock walls, carpet and furniture?
Too hard to say with no more info than was given.

I assumed there was no visible growth and assumed concrete walls. ??? Depending on the situation it could need a good pressure washing or could need more aggressive wiping of the walls. If as you mention you have microbial growth that has taken root then removal and or sanding could come into play. ???

Not enough information to really be of much more help.

Reactions: kmdineen

steve_64

Too hard to say with no more info than was given.

I assumed there was no visible growth and assumed concrete walls. ??? Depending on the situation it could need a good pressure washing or could need more aggressive wiping of the walls. If as you mention you have microbial growth that has taken root then removal and or sanding could come into play. ???

Not enough information to really be of much more help.
Like I said.

A good apoxy paint on the walls after cleaning helps too. I'm assuming concrete also.

Most of my custies want cheap and to do some themselves. From the way he directed the question it sounded like what I'm use to hearing. They just want directions to do it themselves.

But I charge for the treatment of sporicidin and any cleaning I do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom