Mildew in the grout.....

R

R W

I did a shower/bathroom combo today that had massive smoke buildup from a fire. The tile cleaned up well, but it seems like there is still some mildew in the grout lines. I used Viper Venom, mixed heavy, and scrubbed my arse off before extracting with the SX7 tool at 1000 psi. This was a poorly maintaned bathroom to start with, and we're not there to clean their other messes (according to insurance adjuster.....this is an insurance job), but I would like to get it as clean as possible. There is some grout damage, but I don't repair grout. What's best for mildew, other than bleach???

Name
I'm Rick James
R W said:
I did a shower/bathroom combo today that had massive smoke buildup from a fire. The tile cleaned up well, but it seems like there is still some mildew in the grout lines. I used Viper Venom, mixed heavy, and scrubbed my arse off before extracting with the SX7 tool at 1000 psi. This was a poorly maintaned bathroom to start with, and we're not there to clean their other messes (according to insurance adjuster.....this is an insurance job), but I would like to get it as clean as possible. There is some grout damage, but I don't repair grout. What's best for mildew, other than bleach???

Color seal.

R

R W

I don't think the insurance will pay for color seal, and the homeowners, I know, wouldn't pay. They want a whole new bathroom. Plus, the grout lines are SOOO tiny that color sealing would put me over the edge......and there is a mix of expoxy and sanded grout (or whatever type of grout was used 40 years ago). There is a lot of "shadetree" repair to the grout also.

Name
I'm Rick James
R W said:
I don't think the insurance will pay for color seal, and the homeowners, I know, wouldn't pay. They want a whole new bathroom. Plus, the grout lines are SOOO tiny that color sealing would put me over the edge......and there is a mix of expoxy and sanded grout (or whatever type of grout was used 40 years ago). There is a lot of "shadetree" repair to the grout also.

I did my shower that had four different colored grout from repairs over the years. I did it in about 20-30 minutes, did second coat in some areas. I got the color seal fom home depot, it had a little sponge on the end and made it very easy to use for tiny grout. I will post the pics if I can find them.

CapeCleaner

Good advice but are you there to clean after the fire or restore the shower? If you removed the smoke buildup, you've done your job, pick up your check. I'd be very leery of doing too much work and then not being paid by the insurance company.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom