Minimum rates

WillH

Name
Capital region carpet cleaning
I'm new to the business and I'm wondering what the minimum rate is I know it varies on location but is their a ball park range. I'm in the upstate NY so AnyOne from the around here could give me some advice to that would be great. Thanks

EDS

Name
Ed
When I first started out I wanted to book every job. This was wrong. It took me a couple months to realize. I raised my prices and people actually did pay.

Sometimes (correctly or incorrectly) their is a perceived value in price. The guy that charges more must do a better job (i. Rolex. Is superior to timex iron man watch...) depending on your market customers will pay a higher rate.

Your job is to shock and awe...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You want to base your minimum rate on your costs and what you need to make a decent profit. You also have to take into consideration, is the job for a customer that gives me other work. For example, I clean empty apts for a property manager, charging $120 for 1 bedrooms and $150 for 2 bedroom suites. They also give me their hallway carpet cleaning once a year. I average $1500-$2000 per year on the suites and $1500 for the hallway cleaning. Sometimes a little more. I don't go anywhere for less than $120 and this year I am raising that to $150 for residential customers.

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I wonder about this also as more customer are going to hard floors in their homes.

I get a lot of calls for 1 or 2 rooms as that is all they have now, so with a higher minimum it make more customers shop a little more.

Reactions: SamIam

EDS

Name
Ed
I'm running a special right now ...15% off. Every time the I make an invoice it hurts...first time running a special.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I wonder about this also as more customer are going to hard floors in their homes.

I get a lot of calls for 1 or 2 rooms as that is all they have now, so with a higher minimum it make more customers shop a little more.
I just did a job this week for a property manager. Turned out to be 1 room that was aprox. 8x10. I stilled charged $120 even I was there for only 20 minutes. Take into consideration the time it takes you to have the truck prepared with the appropriate tools and supplies for each job, a man and a truck driving to the job site, setting up the tm or bringing in the portable, doing the job and packing everything up and going on to the next job, then cleaning up at the end of the day. If you had to pay someone to do this for you, what would you charge? Never mind the other overhead you have to pay such as fuel, insurance, phone bills, advertising, rent, etc. If your competitors are doing jobs for less, let them. They will be losing money, you won't. When you get these small jobs, take your time and do the best you can. People appreciate the service. Don't think that you are expensive. When someone calls you for a 1 room job, tell them it's only $120. Don't say this is your minimum charge.

Reactions: Captain Morgan

EDS

Name
Ed
I hate property managers. They seem cheap as fфыk!!!

But if you live in a small town and the other carpet cleaner is a cheap whore but does fantastic work your may minimum may already be set for you.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I work for a lot of property managers and they don't really care about the price. They just want the work done right the first time with no complaints. Property managers here are usually overworked, have too many buildings to look after and just want someone reliable to come and do the job without having to be babysat.

EDS

Name
Ed
IMHO the only thing worse the. A property manager is a strata directly managed...

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith

We get calls for one or two rooms also and we handle them one of two ways: either put them on the schedule with another job in the same neighborhood so we aren't making an extra trip to get to them and charging by square foot like we normally would, or we offer other services to make up the difference. Say the one room would cost $75. We explain on the phone about the minimum and why it exists and then offer to clean the couch also, which puts them at the minimum. Most of them book because they were already thinking about having other things cleaned as well.

It might be hard at first to offer more than just carpet cleaning, Will, but as you become more experienced you can learn other skills and with small investments you can use your equipment for more diversified services. Do you have a portable unit or a truck mounted unit?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
As long as your not locked into a yearly contract with print ads your price can start lower and improve with learning.

I wouldnt be as price conscious as quality conscious. The better you do your job the more in demand you'll be. Which in turn will allow your pricing to increase.

Check phone book and on line competition.

Stanley is two areas $99 minimum just to give you an idea.

Reactions: EDS and Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom