monkey pads and a Cimex

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
am i a moron for having a Cimex and NOT getting into marble polishing w/ MP's?

is it REALLY as easy and worry-free as their 6 min vid shows?

what's 1 reason why i should run from getting into marble polishing with MP's?

Mikey P

Administrator
Every stone/install is different and you'll pay a serious price for learning on the fly.

Take a few day class before jumping in with both feet.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Personnaly I would think the pads are fairly harmless. Their not going to dig too deep into the stone. Definitely do a test patch before but taking some classes is not a bad idea. The cimex would make for much quicker work then a rotary since it spins at 400 rpm.

Albert

RickL

I have been involved in several stone jobs and talk to Bruce Z daily from what I see every Stone job varies greatly. I've used the monkey pads and was quite impressed. As mike stated early on these are great for Mrs P with 2 kids and dogs that just wants a little shine because it's dull. But basic stone knowledge is essential. I take a look at them and if it's a mullti million dollar house that wants a perfect level spotless floor i refer it. If it's one like i looked at today with shit all over it and you could barley see the reflection of the light bulb above i took a piece of marble i had sprayed acid on (etched it good) then sanded it with sand paper and brought back with the monkey pads from 800 up to 11000 and laid it under the light she flipped loved it and booked the job.
Will be taking pics of this one it's bad.

M

Markd

Couple of questions when using Monkey Pads (or Eco-Pads, which is what i have on order:)
do you need to clean the floor first with a traditional stone cleaner?
if the floor has been 'crystallized", or "re-crystallized", should you use these pads?

plcmass

Stone is from two chemical make ups, Calcarious (marble) or Silicious (granite). Calcium based or Silica based and have very different reactions with cleaners.
Acid based cleaners are deletarious to Calcium based stone such as marble. There are Alkiline cleaners and restorative products for interior and exterior applications specifically formulated for softer stone.
It has been many years since I have been involved with stone restoration like the state houses in Boston, Hartford and DC.
A good place to start is Prosoco.com, they have been manufacturing hard surface products for the commercial trades for decades.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Derek;

We have sold diamond grinding pads for marble, granite & concrete for several years.

They are used to flatten lippage and polish these floors very successfully.

Lippage still requires these pads.

Polishing marble or travertine is where the Monkey Pads are most effective.

The compression of the 3/4" thick hog hair pad enables better contact with the marble.

It also minimizes the "window-paneing" on tiles.

The best machine, however, is a 20" variable-speed buffer or Orbot.

The 300 RPM top speed shortens the time required for the job.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom