More stone hack tips

Mikey P

Administrator
My explanation to homeowners asking why they should bother to seal stone if it does not prevent etching is

"If you place get red wine on your unsealed Limestone you have a pink etch mark, if you get red wine on your sealed Limestone , you'll just have the etch mark.."

This home has a REAL obvious pink stain that I'm guessing came from toilet bowl cleaner based on how deeply etched it was. I told her right up form that cleaning would not fix the etch and depending on how deep the dye went I could not guarantee the stain removal either. To get Albert over to grind it out and re-polish the whole are would run at minimum $700 so she asked that we do our best and just clean and seal.

First we let it soak in straight 40 vol for 10 minutes or so. Next a good scrubbing with Stone Pro's Stone Scrub and a Turbo Hybrid rinse which got all the color out but left the surrounding area dull. To fix that a pinch of Cobb's Powder Polish and a minute with a red pad and hand polishing made it all but disappear. It took her a long time and real head twisting effort to find it when she got home.

We did the same with a similar but Rorschach shaped stain in her bathroom as well, with even better results as the etch was not so deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4t9hBoFyX0

Back
Top Bottom