More Travertine pics

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Could that job have been done with Monkey Pads?

Sure it can.
Different tools from the tool box.
I just believe the powder polish provides a much deeper shine. and can correct light acid damage, without the need
for honing and going thru the levels...
It is also a "chemical finish", as opposed to a "mechanical finish"
I will let Rob explain that in more detail...

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
This is a bath counter top I did yesterday, both pics are from the same area... Powder polished, and sealed.
I did 3 baths, and made good $$$

View attachment 1373 View attachment 1374

Great job Lance!

Monkey pads could be used but why? First the pads, if started at 800 grit, would not remove the chemical burn, and damage shown in the first photo. In order to remove that damage the starting grit would have to be at least 400 if not lower. We've all seen the orange peeling issues, with ALL types of pads, at the lower grits. In addition, at this moment in time, in order to reach the maximum level of color and reflectivity in calcium based stone a chemical polish must be performed.

The biggest advantage to the powder is TIME and LABOR. The polish Lance shows in the second photo is a result of one step. If pads were to be used it would have taken at least 5 steps (800, 1500, 3000, 8000 and 11000). After theses five steps the polish still would be inferior if a chemical polish was not done. That is 6 steps.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
one powder under a Makita would fix that?

I must be missing something

really looking forward to your display at M9F

Your not Mike.
Just a pinch under the Makita, with a hogshair pad.

Larry I am always open to new products.... Is yours "Low V.O.C.?" And can yours double for "porous" surfaces, such grout?

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
cameron demille
I would like to clarify a few things.

Powder polishing only will bring the surface up to a glossier finish, but it won't remove moderate to severe etch marks. It will remove any light etch marks that are only dull and not something severe enough to be felt with your finger. The difference in the final polish depends mostly on the condition of the surface before you start. Why use a mechanical pad if the powder does this? Because mechanically refinishing first with smooth out the surface and make the powder polishing easier, and less time consuming, and give you a better finished product. Going through all the mechanical steps takes about the same time as it does to powder polish, so you're essentially doubling your time, and theoretically, doubling your money.

"chemical" polishing with a powder only uses chemicals during the actual polishing part, but leaves nothing on the surface. You are actually polishing the stone itself. There is nothing to wear off after.

for those of you wondering what the benefit of refinishing mechanically first vs. powder polishing only is; You get a better finished product, the surface is more resistant to light abrasion, and you make more money.

It all comes down to what your client is willing to spend and what you're comfortable doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom