more vortex noise complaints than walk ups!!!!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
What about putting two big mufflers in parallel?

I run a 4 cyl Perkins driving a roots59 enclosed in a plywood box on my truck, two big mufflers in parallel inside the box, and you'd have to listen for it if you were inside the next house to really hear it. Sure sounds loud close up with the box doors open!

Greenie

Hey Ron, that was my thoughts on it. Since you do it, you ought to know.

So what size are your silencers?

And how fast are you spinning that 59?

btw: we're due for some pics, how about the ones you showed me at Connections? That monster HX will trip some out I'm sure.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Oh, so you believe that a "hat 7000" blower really exists?

From the pix it sure looks like an 850 and not the larger T1050 Jeff.

I for darn sure don't for a minute believe the hype that Shawn has commissioned a new unique blower for his application. There is nothing NEW under the sun in most cases,.....except product names.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Lee Stockwell said:
Oh, so you believe that a "hat 7000" blower really exists?

From the pix it sure looks like an 850 and not the larger T1050 Jeff.

I for darn sure don't for a minute believe the hype that Shawn has commissioned a new unique blower for his application. There is nothing NEW under the sun in most cases,.....except product names.

the 7000 HAT is a Tuthill TI 850...i don't believe the hype either

http://vacuum.tuthill.com/prodmedia/Bro ... ochure.pdf

Aaron

All I know is that I ran my AT next to a brand new 7000HAT and they sounded nearly identical. Mine just had a bit higher pitch to it. When the doors where closed, it was basically a dead heat.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
7000HAT 6008 whatever they are too loud!!! I still think a good % of the noise comes from the UD motor. Blower makes up about 60% but the UD is loud.

I have a 6008, the new blower has no grease zerks and that would be nice.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i think it's a little quieter than 6008 a couple cleaners that run one where at the shop last week. we where doing some broadloom the conversation about noise went something like this...guy 1, it sounds the same, Oh maybe a little quieter...guy 2 i think it's quieter but not too much?

Greenie

ya know Lee, you may right.
I've actually not seen the performance chart for a 7000, but surely Shawn York wouldn't have lied to me.

I first got wind of the blower specs you posted when I saw an advertisement in one of the trade mags from Tuthill, it looked a lot like the new V blower so I went and checked it out, just as you posted, they specs were interesting.

The two things that stuck in my mind before looking up the specs were the verbally claimed 1100 max cfm, and the fact the V runs 5.5" hose from the blower to the tank, this is from all of the 6008 blowers and their 5" ports.

As you can see the Ti850 comes with 4" ports, so I immediately put that detail and the 1100 cfm max (760 cfm reality) from memory, together to form the opinion that these two can not possibly be the same blower.

Add to that the fact Shawn said this blower model was owned by Vortex, he said they actually owned the castings for it now, it was not for sale on the open market, example: AT did not have the option to use it in their machine.

Come to think of it, if I'm way off base Why did Vladimir not try it out on at least one truck?

So what are your thoughts?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
greenie

i can't say who said what where but I'm looking at binder given to me with my 7000 not only does it have the technical manual from Tuthill that comes with the blower (Tl-850) the technical drawing from blueline list the blower as the Tl-850

Greenie

So.....splain' the 5" port discrepancy? That is the little detail I'm caught up on.

So other than the supposed noise reduction, more of a tone if you ask me, what is the big deal with the Springfield boys making this new fangled blower?

Surely it doesn't weigh less, or cost less?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
the flange for the vac hose is larger than the port of the blower

see

DSCN0511.jpg
[/img]

why couldn't the blower opening be machined larger ???

Attachments

• DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 103
Name
Lee Stockwell
Pictures don't lie. Perhaps someone thought a bluff like this would go undiscovered. The flange could have at least been tapered to minimize turbulence, or for goodness sake at least centered on the opening.

I look at stuff like this and wonder what other engineering masterpieces lie undiscovered nearby?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
don't forget that that flange for the vac hose has to stand up to extreme vac/pressure. It needs to be a certain thickness. So if the hose is going to be 5" then the inside diameter is going to be smaller.

You could grind it out and open it up but you would be weakening the metal. Looks like that piece just unbolts, You could unbolt it, grind it out and reinforce it from the outside.

Just a thought. :roll:

Name
Lee Stockwell
No agenda at all, but this brings back memories of Bane pulling the same thing, while feeding a young family very bogus info about their machine's capacities and components.

I just wanted Shawn to either plead the fifth, or say why he led so many to believe the unit was something bigger and more capable than it is.

Again, I hate to see people misled.

Thanks,
Lee

Shane

Greenie said:
Lee,

I don't know what you were thinking, but that is extremely unprofessional posting a private email on a public forum.

Might I add, it was also addressed to myself, and I did not grant you permission.

You are lucky this is in Big Trucks and not my room Popular Mechanics, or I would have gave you the boot for sure.

What is your agenda? Something against Shawn, or BlueLine?
Did you not administrate the old Vortex forum?
Some grievance?

In this thread I am just asking questions about the blowers, I don't seek to harm or damage.

I'm actually quite embarrassed for you.

I hope Mike will have the wisdom to delete this black eye.

Well said Greenie.

G

I see that you got pissy about showing something that was CC'ed to you, but he did what the board says...CALLED AN ACE AND ACE.

Did Lee do something wrong...Maybe. Did someone else do something wrong too??? Maybe. Its the glass half full, half empty saying.

Name
Lee Stockwell
As long as somebody honestly explains the difference between the above pictured TI850 (note the serial # sequence as well) and the widely advertised yellow "HAT 7000" I think everyone can be happy.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
well i asked lee for the explanation

"The TI850 shaft is 1-3/4" dia x 3.78" long with a 3/8" keyway"

If i have time tomorrow I'll pull the cover and measure the shaft

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I'm glad someone is paying attention to details. This could get interesting.

And by the way, if you guys that have these noisy trucks, why complain?

Something has to give if one wants all that suck & heat.

Or maybe closing the doors of the box to contain the noise? I don't know just asking.

And sometimes, just because it has a 427 sticker on the fender doesn't mean its a bad ass.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom