Most valuable thing you learned at Mikey Fest

Name
Steve Lawrence
Sorry I couldn't make it. So do tell what you learned that will help you in this biz.

Thanks,
Steve

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I learned to never let your room key out of your sight.

I learned to park your car far away from the festivities, and let nobody know what car is yours.

Most of all, I learned, don't piss off Mikey.

:wink:

R

R W

Having only been at MF 1, I can only say.....if you need a drink, just look up Chuckie. Always one within an arms length......

Mikey P

Administrator
I learned that I need to form a 3 person commitee to get MF4 done.

I also learned that getting 3 BDCCs out here was a real good idea.

As well as learning that Chad can dish it out but he cant take it.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Mikey P said:
I learned that I need to form a 3 person commitee to get MF4 done.

I'd suggest Steve Frasier, seems like a nice guy who is willing to work for a week for nothing. :p

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Well since I was a part of the vacuum test and did not have much time to check out what else was going on:

The biggest thing I learned was...... the louder the vacuum cleaner-the better it performed. No joke.

Mikey P

Administrator
You could also say that the more filters it has the less it sucks.

The age old Sanitaire, while not perfect, has enough OoompF to suck dirt from UNDER the rug.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
WOW...too much to list. Don't give the flippant answers a second thought Steve. Tons to learn at this MF. Some of the highlights for me:

Expensive vacuums don't perform any better than cheap ones.

The operator and style of wanding gives a huge difference in the cleaning results....and not how most would think!

larger diameter vac hose makes a big difference.

Alchohol does NOT help get rid of a cold.

I need to sit down with Rick Gelinas and get some more tips on moving out of our home office and professionalizing our operation.

In our scientific testing the Rug Doctor and Bissel Steam machine performed better and removed more soil than a popular commercial portable tested.

Color repair with crayons demonstrated by the master.

There is a significant difference in performance between a truckmount and a portable or walk behind....way more than most porty operators would care to acknowledge.

We need a viable protocol to compare extraction and non-extraction cleaning methods which does not bias one method over another, and will give REAL World results.

Comparing wanding styles and stress injuries was interesting, but showed little correlation between the way someone holds a wand and their risk of injury.

Harry works WAY too hard.

Mike has more patience and tolerance than most men.

Shawn Forsythe is "kinda protective" of his car....and he can sure spout the F-bomb if it's toyed with!

Mikeyboard stickers look great almost anywhere... :wink:

This industry is full of some of the most loving, caring, quirky, funny, independent, stubborn, opinionated, arrogant and DAMN NICE people you could ever hope to get together. I love this industry and all the people in it!

It was a great time Steve, I wish you could have been there. You would have loved it.

Take care,
Lisa

cmaster

Name
Paul Budnik
Some very surprising results with vacuums. I've never liked the Sanitaire, but can't deny the results.

A Butler seems to outperform a Vortex....or does Chad outperform Dirk.

Low moisture cleaning performs very well on carpets that are prone to wicking. I think I knew that, but got my confirmation.

We had a great geology lesson. I think I forgot most of it already.

There are a lot of smart yet humble people in this business.

Tony, Bob and Brian are 3 guys I could get used to working with.

Greenie can pimp a Chem Dry TM and flood a parking lot at the same time.

Waldo is a riot.

Had a great time. Next year will be as good or better.

harryhides

Name
Tony
All of the testing was filmed and a DVD of the full results will be made available to supporting members of this board. Give Brian a few weeks to do the editing and you can see it all for yourself.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
MF confirmed that people are generally nice no matter how much crap they spew on the boards.

I was pleasently surprised how many systems would have done an acceptable job to a prospective client at the rink.

Seeing how some of the different ways folks wand.

I learned that ex Coit guys are good business people.

I learned that Jim Eckman (spelling) is my new hero. For a cuban you'd think I can dance but suck at it.

Ken Snow's marketing material and the way he mails before the job was eye opening.

Tony Wheeright is a hard working and dedicated individual.

Albert

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have helped anyone who has ever asked me to help. Have I criticized a few, yes I have

People who can vouch for me are

Lisa & Greenie

Mike P, I sent in my money last year and was unable to attend but didn't ask for the money back and I buy his dog pig ears when he hints that he needs more

Anna of Summer Fest, picked out all the restaurants for her

Jeremy, tried to help him get a janitorial account

and a few others

I would have come this year but getting over illness and didn't think anyone would appreciate me coughing all over them

I have stuck up for Mike(I realize he doesn't need it) and this BB many times, when my local supplier got a bunch of Mikey Board business cards in the mail and was going to toss them I talked to Jerry about it

to be honest with you I would rather do behind the scenes things instead of hanging out drinking

I am a nice guy but I sometimes see things different and ask questions, maybe they should have been asked in a PM instead, can't change that now

If Mike needs help all he has to do is ask, to be honest with you, I would be more likely to show up if I had something to do

I would have loved to see the rug plant
Seen the bleeder cleaned in the drive way
learned how to color carpet
Gary clean a couch

other then that, I don't think I would have learned a whole lot but would have liked to have my picture with Steamn Hot Neva, I would have liked to meet Jeremy also, I was a lot like him at one time

I appreciate Mike(and MF) and the others for what has been done in this BB, if Mike wants to make a profit go for it. I don't care, I just thought in the beginning that making a profit wasn't the goal but if that is the goal then do what you have to do

I talked to Mike, he wasn't to happy with me and I didn't intend to piss him off, I apologized to him but not sure if he accepted it or not

you really have no idea what I have done for other people, like working for free, and I am a supporting member

This industry is full of some of the most loving, caring, quirky, funny, independent, stubborn, opinionated, arrogant and DAMN NICE people you could ever hope to get together. I love this industry and all the people in it!

I think that quote from Lisa sums it up for me

PS thanks for the steemer tip and the soiled couch was that you Harry or Tony, can't remember at the moment

Name
BradFenstermaker
First of all the vacuum test was eye opening. The more they cost the less they suck.

Low moisture for sure on commercial olefin with lots of drinks. Or post encap after HWE.

Rick Gelina's gave one hell of a motivation class, well that's what I received out of it.

Learned geology of natural stone from David, never new that many types existed.

Al Spaet tought us to dive right in. Go slow and some you will learn as you go. Dry treat was explained to us in depth, it should last forever.

The canadian redneck with the leather tie demoed one hell of a spot dying technique. Got to get to toyRUs know.

Tony, Luddy and many others where behind the scenes making sure all this gets done. Thanks!

One of the best things I learned will come when I finish the Rug Cleaning Manual given to me from a drawing.

The personal marketing and sharing of Idea's between friends and new friends was worth the trip alone. Meeting friends with now Idea what they looked like was great to.

Mikey you put on one hell of a Shendig as we call them over here. I am very glad I took the chance and scholarship money to Attend Mikeyfest. Thanks for everything and hope to make it out next year with Amanda.

Monsterfocker

JeffC

Name
Jeff
It sounds like it was a blast. I had a scheduling conflict and wasn't able to attend, but hope to attend next year. I am looking forward to seeing the results of the testing.

Jeff

Name
Steve Lawrence
Well, okay!! Sounds like y'all had a great learning experience/fun time. Congrats to all who attended and especially those who helped out or gave classes.

Way to go Mikey. Sounds to me like it was worth every bit as much as a big time convention without so much BS.

I'll be there next year.

How was the weather?

Fon Johnson

Greenie said:
...and you guys think that is a butterfly.

Sure it is. A very beautiful butterfly.. :lol: :roll:

Tell us more about the recoil test. I would have expected it to do well. I mean it is said to be as powerful as a small tm? Are you sure it was working corrrectly?

I hated to miss. I plan to be there next year if at all possible. I just had way to much on my plate this year. 8)

harryhides

Name
Tony
Fon, that is a fair question and I do not know the answer.

Each vacuum cleaner was presented with a new bag or empty dirt cup by it's owner and one can assume that each one was in good working order.

As for the equipment, one can assume that the tm's were in good working order. The Rug Doctor was rented off the shelf and both the Recoil and Bissell were rarely used and so may well have not been in top condition.

We will try to have better controls next year for whatever testing we do.

Mikey P

Administrator
The Recoil is in better then new condition.

All internal plumbing has been redone so as not to cave in under load.

I think everyone should know that all test cleanings were done with no pre vac, no pre spray and no detergent, just a water rinse on heavily dry soil loaded carpet.

The Recoil was used with a standard 2 jet wand and 25 feet of hose.

Name
Steve Lawrence
A recoil as powerful as a small TM?

ha ha ha ha ha ha h ah ah aha ha ha akuhaphkasd p;aihkjfaq]0aewk\-qwoiq0ewr8uqe[jadf]jqa

maybe a small, plugged up, abused, leaking, dying, broken TM

Back
Top Bottom