Moving furniture

Name
Swani
We have been asked to give a quote for a house that is going on the market. The owners plan to live in the house till it is sold. The house is pretty cluttered and the carpet needs some serious attention. They want every inch of carpet cleaned so that it looks good when they move out. So my question is how do you charge for having to move excessive stuff? We will typically move things like coffee tables and end tables, chairs and couches for free, but this house has items in the hallways, beds and dressers in the rooms, moving boxes all over the house, among lots of other odds and ends due to getting ready to move. I'm thinking at least 2 to 3 hrs added of extra time. So would you add on to your price per sq. Ft. Or just add on a flat moving fee?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
CONTENTS MANIPULATION, list it as optional. If they want to save some money they will move it themselves.

Schedule it in two parts. Have them move the items to one side of the room. You clean the open area and come back in a couple of days to do the other side, once they move the contents over to the cleaned side.

Name
Swani
I wouldn't do it. If they can't get the bulk of the little stuff to the tile in the kitchen then they don't want the carpet cleaned that bad and aren't even ready to move.

It just sounds like trouble.
I see where you're coming from but I think it's just a very busy family with a ton of stuff going on. We want to help them out and do the job plus we want to do the job. We are also bidding the tile and grout.

Reactions: Russ T.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I see where you're coming from but I think it's just a very busy family with a ton of stuff going on. We want to help them out and do the job plus we want to do the job. We are also bidding the tile and grout.

This might be an all day job for 2 people--- how much do you want to make in a day

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We have been asked to give a quote for a house that is going on the market. The owners plan to live in the house till it is sold. The house is pretty cluttered and the carpet needs some serious attention. They want every inch of carpet cleaned so that it looks good when they move out. So my question is how do you charge for having to move excessive stuff? We will typically move things like coffee tables and end tables, chairs and couches for free, but this house has items in the hallways, beds and dressers in the rooms, moving boxes all over the house, among lots of other odds and ends due to getting ready to move. I'm thinking at least 2 to 3 hrs added of extra time. So would you add on to your price per sq. Ft. Or just add on a flat moving fee?
I usually do those jobs in 2 stages. I clean the traffic areas so they can stage the home, then when they move, I clean the whole place. Moving every stick of furniture and padding/blocking doesn't make a lot of sense and some things may be too heavy to adequately block. Let them know what the cost is going to be for moving all the furniture, then the cost for coming back and recleaning. Probably going to be about the same. Give them the option.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
These days most furniture are badly built. What used to be dovetail joints is stapled in. Just inferior quality and not designed to be moved.
How do you guys handle potential damage?
I tell them that if anything happens to the furniture- they release me from liability (and they sign).

I actually had an owner ask me to move a shelf. One look at it made it clear to me that it is not likely to survive a move.
I told him I wouldn't do it.
He said that it is not a problem and that he moves it all the time.
I told him that if he wishes he can do it, but that I wouldn't recommend.

He did. And it broke apart right there and then.

It was a monumental struggle keeping a straight face. I should have charged extra for that effort :winky:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Russ T. said: ↑
I wouldn't do it. If they can't get the bulk of the little stuff to the tile in the kitchen then they don't want the carpet cleaned that bad and aren't even ready to move.
It just sounds like trouble.

Well, your kinda asking for it then, must be a nice payday.:rockon:

I'm thinking at least 2 to 3 hrs added of extra time. So would you add on to your price per sq. Ft. Or just add on a flat moving fee?

Give them a couple of options moving crap and not moving crap. They obviously don't understand what a pain in the butt the extra work is going to be.

I actually had an owner ask me to move a shelf. One look at it made it clear to me that it is not likely to survive a move.
I told him I wouldn't do it.
He said that it is not a problem and that he moves it all the time.
I told him that if he wishes he can do it, but that I wouldn't recommend.
He did. And it broke apart right there and then.

Lol! Score one for the carpet cleaners!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
I think they really do know how much of a pain it will be to move all their stuff and are hoping they can pay someone else to do it. How much you want to bet when they sell the place they won't call you back? So you better get paid upfront for everything and make sure it's enough to cover all your medical bills. Moving a house is strenuous on your back. You're a cleaner not a house mover. Why don't they get a storage unit for their junk? They can't seriously think they are going to have showings with their house full of stuff stacked to the ceiling?

I understand wanting to be a nice guy and help people out. It makes you feel good but I've changed my attitude lately, but that's me. Lets us know how it turns out.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Customer is a one time clean. Client is long term over years. : )

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Warning about moving beds Queen size or bigger. the newer Cheap frames that come with the bed are likely to break when moved.
I'm referring mainly to the center post under the bed. If it is metal going into a plastic foot, it will most likely break if the mattresses are heavy, so remove the mattress first.

Swani-- having a swivel wand might reduce the need to move some furniture if saving that money is ok with customer.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
BradFenstermaker
I wood bid normal rate for normal routine.
Easier money to make out there than jack up your back doing this Juan.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Just include in your bid the movers you are going to hire to put all their crap in their garage before you come to clean, and move it back the next day..

Mrice

Name
Mat
I'm friends with a local moving company. IF they want it done (all of it) I'd hire the movers and let them do it. Aside from everyting else mentioned above...when something breaks...and something will break...they have insurance for it...I don't. I think about the things around my house...so many things have hidden boobie traps. I think accounting for just 3 more hours is an understatement...but I haven't seen the house.

Reactions: Able 1

Able 1

Name
Keith
Movers will not guaranty the moving of particle board garbage furniture either..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom