Musky odor for previous water damage

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I have a restaurant that I have been cleaning twice a month since February. Before I had ever started cleaning it the manager told me they had the carpet get wet a couple of times and they just stuck fans on it and it took long enough to dry the it devoloped that musky odor. Now they have a perpetual bad smell in the place sometimes worse than others. Right now they cope by spraying odoban whenever it stinks and she says that will help a day or two then the smell comes back. I believe there is moisture present causing the odor to stick around. I believe it's due to a humidity issue inside the restaurant. When I'm there cleaning water drips on me, the tables, the carpet, form condesation built up on the a/c vents. I told her about that and that I believe that is a big part of her problem, she says she getting that taken care of this week.

My question for you guys is will anything eliminate that odor completely so it doesn't come back every time the humidity level goes up or we clean the carpet? By the way it's a glued down carpet, no pad.

I have judsons quatalot and I have some DD12 on the way.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'll defer to the guys who actually know something about this

but I figure one it's completely dry and humidity levels remain "normal", the "musty" smell will be gone

..L.T.A.

John Buxton

The carpet and probably walls were half ass dried and now there is odor. Live and learn. The place should have done it right the first time.

I would suggest they replace and use you as the go to guy for cleaning and drying.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Although you can have odor without humidity, if the cause of the odor is micro-organisms they need moisture or they will die or become dormant. So moisture defintiely is a factor.

Micro-organisms also need a food source. Really throough cleaning that flushes out any possible soil that could be a food source would also be important.

Dry and clean is the best way to prevent odor from micro-organisms.

You only have control of the face of the carpet. It is likely that the backing of the carpet, under the carpet, maybe walls and sub-floors and other areas that got damp are also part of the odor problem. The complete answer is to find every source and either clean or remove the source. If the restaurant won't go for such a complete solution, then use your chemicals. Disinfectants and sanitizers like Microban, Benefect, Milgo, Sporicidan, etc could be used to reduce the level of micro-organisms. Hydrocide or other products in that family work well to capture and remove odors from air and surfaces.

Scott Warrington

TimP

Everyone should keep in mind where Joey lives is right on the ocean and in Florida. Humidity levels are very high here all the time. I don't know what the humidity of the building is but that may or may not matter at this point. What does matter is the smell isn't going away and the most important thing is to find the source. I think the walls need to be tested inside them for mold/moisture problem. The moisture from the ducts while cleaning means that the place is way too cold for how much water is in the air, ( and possibly the a/c isn't sized properly). It seriously sounds like the grains and humidity never were right to dry the place in the first place since fans don't do it. I would venture to say there is a good chance that there is mold in the walls, ducts, etc.... but if tests come back negative then they need to go to the next step and seriously think about changing out the carpet.

Once carpet gets this moldy smell every single time it gets wet it is going to smell.....and let me tell you from cleaning in institutions after the carpet was allowed to sour I surely know. Anyways the humidity may be enough to make the microbials off gass and create a smell.....restaurants are known for spills etc happening which in turn give food to the mold. Replacement may be necesarry.

I myself would tell my customer that the smell is likely to be from mold that is growing somewhere that wasn't dried properly. If they don't want to have a pro come in they could try replacing the carpet. But at this point you are unqualified (unless you are) to fix their problem and give them advice as to what will work without a doubt. I would give them the number to some mold remidiation companies (or at least tell them to find one if you don't trust anyone or know anyone) who know how to handle these problems and test etc. And they may look at a lot of cash being thrown at the problem to fix it, since the water loss wasn't handled properly (however I wouldn't get into that last statement with the customer). I wish your customer luck.....as I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for sure. They may be looking at a complete renovation..... :shock:

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Ok You guys said pretty much exactly what I already told them. I really just wanted to make sure my bases were covered. Before I ever started cleaning the place I told them the smell was going to come back every time we cleaned and remain until it completely dried and it has done just that.

From day 1 of me cleaning there they have said they are planning to replace the carpets very soon. At that time she said within 6 months, it's now been 8 months and she says they still plan to replace it but who knows how long because they are a franchise there is red tape to be cut through. Basically I'm just trying to minimize the issue until they get it replaced. I was hoping a quat might help although I didn't have much faith it will. I'll probably add a couple of ounces to my pre-spray the next time I clean just to see what happens. I'll also see if I can find any moisture in the walls and let them know they may need a mold remediation company. I do have someone I trust that I can refer them to for that.

They are also notorious for turning off the ac after I leave and leaving the place closed up all night. I try to beat it into their heads that they NEED that ac running and fans on but they go through night managers so fast it's a never ending battle. :evil:

Thanks for the suggestions.

TimP

If it's just from cleaning and it goes away you know it's the carpet. But I thought he said it is always there was always an odor. Which leads me to think there is a lot more going on than just musky carpet. Although I would hope that it would only be the carpet....that's why I say the source needs to be found. Although I'm not qualified to know for certain. It could be that the slab wasn't properly poured and there is moisture that moves through the slab.....and given the shody construction in this area it could be a real possibility. But the way I see it.....if the smell don't go away once the carpet is dry then there is a good chance something else going on.....or in the very least something keeping the carpet wet/damp.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
adcomp said:
One question I have is are the drops only present when you are cleaning (increasing humidity), when the doors are open, or all the time?

All the time, I assume, because she said water is constantly dripping on customers heads and on the carpet, tables ,etc. :roll:

They are supposed to be attempting to fix the ac this weekend.

The odor is not always present but it does show up at times other than just after cleaning, which is what is leading me to believe the humidity is high enough to cause the off gassing much like urine odors will tend to rear their ugly heads on very humid days.

Back
Top Bottom