My new Devastator filter and more toys

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Kellie,
What you are experiencing is a filter that is just to small. It is doing it job, it is catching debris but the size causes it to start to drop off pretty fast.
My ? is why do you hate it? Is it because it fills and you have to go out and clean it, to finish the job? If so there is no comparison. The Dev has 2+ filter surface area to catch debris and still flow air vs smaller HF and LH filters.

Is the Dev Filter going to magically give your tm more power? NO it is not.

Many people claim it does but the truth is, nothing has been done to the tm. What most are experiencing is there tm running unrestricted....this give the impression that it has some how changed the TM, but it is just running more like no inline filter is actually on the line,..... Don't take this the wrong way, the Dev filter is just that, a filter, and it will start to drop off over time as it becomes full of debris. It just takes much, much longer to get there, and if you are doing average size homes 900-1400 sf of carpet more than likely it will go start to finish with no problems MOST of the time.

Next is are you happy with 2.0 hose? If you are than no I don't think you need to go to a 2.5 or 4 2 door setup. There is a lot of mixed reviews on 2.5 and 42dr set ups, The fact is my set up is 100' of 2" comes off my reel first then I have 2.5 cut in 25' sections.

With your set up I would keep cuff joints to minimum every cuff leaks a bit of air and the more you have the more lift is lost in those cuff joints, and you need save the lift for the wand slot. Bigger blowers can afford to let little leaks happen. I run a # 4 blower and I try and keep it as sealed as possible to give me the most suck at the wand. I hate to say it but the standard cuff and barb is still the best sealing cuff even though there a pain in the butt sometimes.
We make a big deal about cuffs and the true 2.0 flow but when they leak air....How much are you really gaining? Vacuum leaks will KILL a smaller blower, I would say a #4 or 45 is right at the point where you can just get by with a little leak but it doesn't take much for its performance to drop majorly if you do have leaks in the system.
Hope this helps. There are a lot of guys here that can give you there input.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
we are using the Mytee Lint Hog and I hate it. It clogs up fast and it seems like it drags down our CFM.
We a have a couple of them too.
They are not the best but can be functional. We use the knee high pantyhose to filter the lint and just change them out after each job. Its fast and easy, spin the top off toss the old one, put in a new one and keep going.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Kellie,
What you are experiencing is a filter that is just to small. It is doing it job, it is catching debris but the size causes it to start to drop off pretty fast.
My ? is why do you hate it? Is it because it fills and you have to go out and clean it, to finish the job? If so there is no comparison. The Dev has 2+ filter surface area to catch debris and still flow air vs smaller HF and LH filters.

Is the Dev Filter going to magically give your tm more power? NO it is not.

Many people claim it does but the truth is, nothing has been done to the tm. What most are experiencing is there tm running unrestricted....this give the impression that it has some how changed the TM, but it is just running more like no inline filter is actually on the line,..... Don't take this the wrong way, the Dev filter is just that, a filter, and it will start to drop off over time as it becomes full of debris. It just takes much, much longer to get there, and if you are doing average size homes 900-1400 sf of carpet more than likely it will go start to finish with no problems MOST of the time.

Next is are you happy with 2.0 hose? If you are than no I don't think you need to go to a 2.5 or 4 2 door setup. There is a lot of mixed reviews on 2.5 and 42dr set ups, The fact is my set up is 100' of 2" comes off my reel first then I have 2.5 cut in 25' sections.

With your set up I would keep cuff joints to minimum every cuff leaks a bit of air and the more you have the more lift is lost in those cuff joints, and you need save the lift for the wand slot. Bigger blowers can afford to let little leaks happen. I run a # 4 blower and I try and keep it as sealed as possible to give me the most suck at the wand. I hate to say it but the standard cuff and barb is still the best sealing cuff even though there a pain in the butt sometimes.
We make a big deal about cuffs and the true 2.0 flow but when they leak air....How much are you really gaining? Vacuum leaks will KILL a smaller blower, I would say a #4 or 45 is right at the point where you can just get by with a little leak but it doesn't take much for its performance to drop majorly if you do have leaks in the system.
Hope this helps. There are a lot of guys here that can give you there input.
This was very helpful...thank you! We use the flash cuffs which I do love but I do get some air leaks at the connects. I saw someone mention elsewhere that you can put electrical tape on the hose to act like pipe tape....but I do see where the standard cuffs would work better.
I am going to try the pantyhose option in my Mytee for now as winter is coming....
I am happy with 2.0 hose just because it is so much easier to work with, but would it make a difference in a good way if I were to make the run from the truck to the filter (which I set right by the machine) and from the filter to the door?

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
We a have a couple of them too.
They are not the best but can be functional. We use the knee high pantyhose to filter the lint and just change them out after each job. Its fast and easy, spin the top off toss the old one, put in a new one and keep going.
I love that idea....Thank you! :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We bough them in bulk off Ebay. They are packaged in those little plastic gum machine capsules (2) in each. They cost pennies when purchased that way. No more screwing around with cleaning the basket part.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
For another 150 bucks or so you could do 2 PVC Y's add a second Mytee LH so you would have a dual filter set up, just Zip tie them together and set them buy the van, a little bit of a pain but you will forget all about that as you clean the house with less down time.

Kinda like Mike Drapper set up picture just with two M LH's

O yeah also a good prevac prior to cleaning will also add much longer work times for the smaller filters

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
It's my understanding that Kellie does the cleaning...
I do.....my husband has cancer that has suddenly begun to progress and has spread all throughout his bones. So now I am mostly flying solo which is why I am trying to be careful with the spending but make things more efficient as well. He still comes with me sometimes but only does some light support work but I don't think he will be able to even do that for much longer.
I've been on the truck for 8 years but there were certain things on the technical end that he handled so now I am trying to learn everything so he doesn't have to worry about anything. :shifty::)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I do.....my husband has cancer that has suddenly begun to progress and has spread all throughout his bones.

I'm sorry to hear that!
I lost my father 4-years ago same way. The doctor showed me his X-ray and I just told me he might as well show me what isn't affected.

8-years...so MAYBE you might know what you're doing. Maybe. :winky:

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I am sorry to hear about your father....:(
Lol....I know a little bit about what I am doing :lol: but there is always room for improvement! I've been learning a lot on these forums, especially about the mechanical/technical aspects.
Trying to figure out some inexpensive ways to upgrade some tools and optimize our machine. It's a good machine but I miss our Fox with the 56 blower and amazing heat.....sigh.....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lol....I know a little bit about what I am doing :lol: but there is always room for improvement! I've been learning a lot on these forums, especially about the mechanical/technical aspects.
Alright the truth finally comes out. ;)
j/k

Trying to figure out some inexpensive ways to upgrade some tools and optimize our machine. It's a good machine but I miss our Fox with the 56 blower and amazing heat.....sigh...
Better agitation or more powerful cleaning solutions will compensate for the lack of "high" heat. You can buy a used 175 very cheaply or buy more aggressive chems.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
We have a 175, actually we have 2 and that's what we are using until I can get a CRB which would be easier for me to lug up and down stairs (I have 3 badly ruptured discs) .
We get great results with our machine and chemicals and all that, even on our really long commercial runs but I would Love to steam pouring out of my Zipper!
I use Flex for the rat nasties and restaurants which does a great job.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Kellie, do you have a helper yet?
If not when you hire will it be a he or a she?
I have someone helping me with the night work, he is a long time friend and he has been in the business for a long time. His day job is running a small supply house. As for full time help....not till Spring most likely. I'm going to spend the winter making some tweaks to the business and marketing and come spring I'm hoping to see the results. In all honesty, we have kind of stagnated because we have been dealing with his cancer for 7 years, and I was waiting for back surgery that I can't get (3 level fusion is a no no) so stress and exhaustion kind of took over. But now that his cancer has worsened I am taking over the reins and makin changes...

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Oh, and honestly, I haven't thought about female tech or male. Not gonna lie, I get along with men better because I have always worked with men and for some reason women don't seem to like me very much....:eekk:

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
That's the problem! They usually don't! Lol! Including me....I'm bossy....that's what my daughter says anyway.
Then she joined the Navy! Hahahaha!!
She gets out in August and I am hoping she will work with me at least part time while going to college.
She is one of the few who like me....:rockon:

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
She worked with us before she enlisted and she liked it a lot. She really cared about everything and was very good with customers, they always ask about her 3 years later!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom