"my" new Rug Studio that I always dreamed of owning..

Name
George Valliant
A rug cleaning studio?

That is totally the bomb man!!!

where do you come up with this sh$t?

I'm a little jealous... I wanna rug cleaning studio too...

Nice work

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Nice site overall. The text makes you think they might know what they're doing. They need to replace a couple of the pictures though, some undermine the credibilty built with text.

Aaron working in bleach spotted/shampoo covered gear is supposed to let you know he loves rugs so much he swims with them? The Navajo before and afters are of different parts of the rug, which suggests they're willing to cheat rather than show you a real repair. The "after" picture of the Chinese is such a poor photo that it looks like they either bleached the color out, left the rug full of shampoo, or used a different rug for the picture. Enough to frighten away any customer that sees it.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
you should be thankful he's using his own pictures and not ones lifted off someone else site or even worse those tired stale ones from lisa wagner

Mikey P

Administrator
Aaron really knows his stuff, not sure if he is at Randy's level but I've seen his work and it's outstanding.

He has also managed to procure most of the Talisman's best repair people.

If he and his Mom can survive the next couple of years they will own this part of the state.

Lefty724

Name
E
Mike, is this your place? Been asked a lot lately for rugs around the Pebble Beach, Carmel areas. Might have to be a middle/delivery man here! :mrgreen:

Mikey P

Administrator
NO!

Erin's shop is in Watsonville and YOU should be either bringing rugs to him or arranging for him to pick them up.

Give them a call and ask for the Mikey P special.

Go by his shop then come visit me and my Lima Bean.

Lefty724

Name
E
Mikey P said:
NO!

Erin's shop is in Watsonville and YOU should be either bringing rugs to him or arranging for him to pick them up.

Give them a call and ask for the Mikey P special.

Go by his shop then come visit me and my Lima Bean.

Good idea Mikey, the only rug pit that I know of around here is the one in Monterey and they are $$$$$.

Will give Aaron a call and definitely come by and check out the Lima! Thanks again!!

Mikey P

Administrator
Seeing how they are the new kids in town right now you can get rug fag premium cleaning for just $3.00 a foot.

An outright bargain.

claybutler

Hello Great Oz,

To answer a few of your questions, I did the website for http://www.rugcarestudio.com and can assure you the photos aren't faked. The reason it doesn't show the same sections of the Navajo rug is because it wanted to create a split screen look. I think it's pretty obvious to the layperson that if he got the right half of the rug cleaned like that we can assume the left side came out the same. It's a compromise I took and I think it works well.

The silk rug photo is not altered. The rug was not bleached. It really is the same rug. And it really did come out that bright and silvery from just good cleaning.

Aaron is wearing what he always wears. I came in and just snapped some shots while he was working. Nothing was staged and he didn't dress up for the photos...though perhaps he should have ;)

It's all rather innocent. For our intended audience I'd say the choices I made work well.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i agree with Oz on the photo ...can you belive that? the goal should be to show the work and that pic fails to do so not only that but the symitry of the design doesn't really work it makes some think you are hiding the quality of work.

As far as work clothing/ uniforms, For the first 10+ years of business we didn't wear'em and some very good cleaners such as Talisman, Robert man don't either. Truth is it was not an issue for the client base in fact it worked in our favor there's enough poor quality well dressed cleaners ..even worse some guys look like nothing more than janitors one company around here some people refer to as "the janitor mafia"

claybutler

Margaret hasn't signed up yet but she knows about my post. We talked this morning. She hired me to build her website and handle all her marketing (ads, postcards, etc)

As for the photo, I can understand from a professional cleaners point of view that you could interpret it as hiding something but our clients won't. They are not expert cleaners and don't think about this stuff 24/7. They just want their rug cleaned and they don't want it screwed up.

It's no different than the photos for car waxes and sealants that do a split screen. Sure, a competing car detailing business may go "hey what's up with that?". However the customers will just go "wow, nice wax job".

Two different audiences.

As for the photos no lining up, well they shouldn't. They are before and after shots taken at two different times. If they lined up perfectly, now that would look doctored.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Good of you to show up Clay. I refer to what I'm tuned to; what customers perceive when they see something that those in the industry wouldn't give a second thought.

Take a look at my original post. I liked the site overall, and made comments that I would like to have taken as constructive suggestions. You can argue with my observations, but when a customer sees the same things you will lose them without ever knowing you did. If these things even have the potential to bring up a negative connotation in a customer's mind they should be changed. Arguing with the customer about their perception won’t be an option.

Here's a little more in-depth reasoning; disagree if you choose.

An ad for an auto shop or sewer repair service wouldn't show a guy covered in his work, even if the customer knows the guy can't look like a fashion model all day. Having a guy (and any of his equipment) look presentable for pictures is common sense. Aaron looks fine, uniform not needed, but clean clothes would make for a more professional presentation.

Split screen isn't the issue with before and after pictures. If a repair is done to the lower right quadrant of a rug, the after picture should be of the lower right quadrant of the rug. The “car wax guys” might show two sides of the same hood, but they wouldn’t expect you to believe the cruddy hood was fixed when the after picture showed a shiny trunk. The Navajo shows different ends of the same rug, or a similar rug, something I think is fairly obvious to any observer. The dye bleed might have been throughout the rug, and both ends may have looked great after cleaning, but an end for end swap suggests a shell game.

Regardless of whether the Chinese was beautifully cleaned, the appearance is so radically different that it doesn't look like good cleaning, it looks like color stripping. In my opinion what a customer might think will happen to their once colorful rug.

claybutler

I know. It's crazy clean. It almost seems fake. But that's how it came out and they loved it. So what can I say? It is what it is.

I know you complimented the site, and I appreciate that, I was just providing the background reasoning on the split screen so you didn't think I just didn't know what I was doing. It was a deliberate decision because pairing the same two halves looked a bit weird in comparison (I tried that method first). It may have been the perspective. If it was taken from straight above I think two versions of the same half would look pleasing. With the deep perspective it didn't read as well as I'd like.

Now for a repair I would definitely show the same sections.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
claybutler said:
As for the photo, I can understand from a professional cleaners point of view that you could interpret it as hiding something but our clients won't. They are not expert cleaners and don't think about this stuff 24/7. They just want their rug cleaned and they don't want it screwed up.

i really like the site. As for the picture Clay, you're targeting a knowledgeable group of people "collectors" don't ever sell these people short as being just consumers many are much more knowledgeable than the average rug cleaner .. it's almost as if your saying we got the rug clean but the other side of the looks so much better. Frankly i'd put a better picture with something more dramatic visually photographing rugs is a problem it's hard to capture the nuances of stains color run

maggiek

Hi Everybody:

Thanks for your comments on our site - photos and all. We are the new guys in town with our fine rug care studio - but Aaron trained under David Walker as did several others on our staff - combined Talisman experience about 40 years.

As for the controversial silk rug photo: that job blew my socks off. The couple has a disabled daughter who loves to play on the rug. Thus, the "before" picture. When Aaron washed it - twice - by hand - the "after' photo is accurate. The family was SO HAPPY!! We were all ecstatic and insisted Clay put those photos on the site.

We don't underestimate our clients. We have many collectors and high-end dealers on our client list. As for "scaring people off" - our website increased our busines by 200 or 300%. I am so busy trying to get clients in so many ways, now that the site is done, I'm not going to micro-manage it. I have to move on...

So thanks, guys. And keep up the blogging!!
I hope someday I am so successful that I can spend time on the blog site.

In the meantime, I am looking for a used dry tower. Perhaps someone who is thinking of another line of work wants to get rid of theirs? Let me know...

Great site, Mikey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom