My Pearl Harbor survivor customer.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Sometimes we meet the greatest people when we clean. One of my regular customers was at Pearl during the attack. After I got done cleaning, I spent an hour talking with him, listening to his stories. What a great guy. Turns out he was 13 when the Japanese attacked. His dad was a skipper of a Navy Destroyer and they were stationed at Pearl. He was playing ball on a field with his friend when the Japanese planes flew right over him. He said he and his friends thought the Navy was testing some new planes from the East or that the Navy pilots were playing some sort of joke. Then all hell broke loose and the world changed in an instant. He also told me that he had also spotted a Japanese "Midget" sub out in the harbor. He reported it to the Navy command and it was bombed, but a few others got away. He ended up writing a book about it. The guy was just amazing to talk with and I felt very honored he shared his stories with me.

At the end of our conversation he gave me a signed copy of his book. I tried to pay him for it but he wasn't having any part of that. Next time i'm going to take it off his bill and a little extra. He's 90 years old. Guys like this aren't going to be around much longer. Truly the greatest generation.

His book is called."The Spies of Lanikai". It's of the true story of the Japanese spies that were stationed on the island before the attack.

Amazon link:

http://a.co/gHolgG7

855E0AAE-BCDF-468E-8B81-9A05BC20D28C.jpeg
28AB7DCB-9CE8-4F73-87E8-AE0EEBC79AB5.jpeg

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
One of my customers a few months ago was a survivor in the Navy also. He was telling me about how he was on his post on the ship operating his tower of communications when one of those Kamakaze's came flying in and took out a Tower literally 15ft away from him. It was amazing listening to him speak because of the way he was telling the story. It was like it happened just yesterday. He had a model of the ship he was on, and it was amazing how he's still alive today, due to how close that attack was. I too, felt lucky to be able to meet the guy and hear his stories

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He's 90 years old. Guys like this aren't going to be around much longer. Truly the greatest generation.

I treasured the time I was able to spend with relatives who served through the nightmare that was WWII. Like most, they spoke little about what they endured, especially those who were in the Pacific; what they told me both broke my heart and inspired me.

Remember that most were not yet 20. One friend of my family that I knew well lied to get in at 15. What kind of men where these? There is no answer that words can say that do any justice to them.

Thanks for sharing this Damon.

F

FB7777

He should sign a book for Merty and as he hands it to him with his left hand, deliver a throat punch with the right

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I had a few Pearl Harbor survivor customers around here too. There's quite a congregation of military folks in the San Diego area.

One of the PH survivors ended up passing away a couple of years ago and it particularly pissed me off seeing his car being driven around by a younger, certified white trash woman that destroyed the car in a few months. I don't know why....but it bugs me when they're allowed to drive around with the Pearl Harbor survivor license plate or Purple Heart license plate after buying the car from someone that earned those plates.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
cool story, Damon
Thanks

had several WWII combat vets as regular custys
several uncles too

Pop was a 5th Division Marine on the invasion of Iwo
(rarely ever talked about the war)
My uncle (his older brother) was Army in the South Pacific as the trigger man of a 30cal water cooled machinegun crew .
He'd talk a little, but not much
Same for my uncle on my Mom's side (combat vet Euro theater)

The WWII Navy vets I know generally will talk more.
Maybe due to less blood n gore so close up all around them compared to the ground pounder combat vets??
No clue...but they'll tell stories of riding out typhoons, of incredible amounts of lead flying at attacking planes and BIG GUNS pounding island targets, etc .

The Ole Gent that introduced me to CCing (S Pacific on Destroyers) also told of pulling survivors of sunk/battle damaged ships that often had terrible burns due to burning oil slicks they had to swim thru

I too think they were the "greatest generation"
Not a bunch of whinny candyazz sissies that seems so prevalent the last couple generations ...and worse than ever now

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Maybe due to less blood n gore so close up all around them compared to the ground pounder combat vets??

I'm sure.

A family friend told me that he was ordered to execute dozens of Japanese soldiers who had surrendered.

He and they were just kids. It haunted him all his life.

I heard a few worse stories. It made me understand why they couldn't talk about it. Few would watch war movies, and especially resented anything that included comedy.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Humility is something less seen today, for sure. Everyone is so quick to get on Social Media and pronounce to the world how great they are. It's become a race to see who can be the greatest the fastest. I know every generation thinks the next one is stupid and lazy, but with what I see around me everyday it's hard not to think like that.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Humility is something less seen today, for sure. Everyone is so quick to get on Social Media and pronounce to the world how great they are. It's become a race to see who can be the greatest the fastest. I know every generation thinks the next one is stupid and lazy, but with what I see around me everyday it's hard not to think like that.

I understand your points.... But....the whole "greatest generation" thing is over inflated in my opinion. Especially because it was coming FROM them. That's one way to belittle and ridicule the generation after that. No wonder, the kids of that ww2 agegroup brought to light the stupid rebellious hippie age, which then brought up a lot of today's youngish idiots. (mainstream drugs, sexual nonsense, etc all results of "you young worthless idiots")
So really, each generation has it's own fight.

Reactions: FredC and FB7777

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Bashing the next generation only serves to discredit the generation that raised them

I feel the same way about guys who complain about their wives at length...who chose them?

Best one yet:

A customer was talking to me, and said, I quote:

"My fool wife went and got herself pregnant again!"

I didn't know how to ask him how she did that all by herself....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
general agreement Zee
every generation thinks the one after it is worse

I've also determined my generation (baby boomers) and certainly the generation we spawned are softer than our parents mostly due to having it so damn easy in life

I like to think of myself as a "hard working, self sufficient man" that's never been afraid of hard work

But the truth is, I don't hold a candle to my Ole Man and those like him of that era
One small example..
Pop was in his early/mid forties when I was kid
Every year he turned garden appx 30 x 75 ft with spade shovel BY HAND

when I moved to the country, I decided to put in a small garden
No tiller, but figured if Pop could turn a big garden every year w/shovel, I could turn a little one
That lasted less than hour ...and I bought a tiller

Would I/could I if I had to?
I like to think so...but don't know what I don't ..and sure haven't been "proven" like Pop and his generation did ..that laid by hand the very foundation of us having it so damn easy and soft comparably

Yea, I think the generations after me as soggier (I've become my Dad)
But I think my Father's generation was/is the baddest azz of them all

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Not snow flakes. Raised by parents that experienced WW1 and then a great depression, that was finally ended because of another World War. I just can't imagine the snow flakes of today saving the world. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Not snow flakes. Raised by parents that experienced WW1 and then a great depression, that was finally ended because of another World War. I just can't imagine the snow flakes of today saving the world. Hope I'm wrong.
I’m with you Bob. The things people complain about and protest now just make me shake my head.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
F

FB7777

And how did they get there?

Our generation spoiled them, gave them trophies for showing up and essentially created this generation of snowflakes

It's stupid to blame the end product when we were responsible for creating it

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have been to Pearl Harbor a number of times. One of my must see stops when on the island to pay respects and witness the drop of oil continually rising up from the USS Arizona!

I have had many bands there performing at Pearl Harbor as well. Amazing experience and never had a student who didn't enjoy learning about the history before leaving MN and as well, even more incredible experience at the memorial.

Our band program even since I left in 2008 continues to travel and make Pearl Harbor a must for performing and witnessing history first hand!

Would have loved to have spoken with this gentleman also @Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom