My Prochem Trident LGR dehumidifer stopped working

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It has 5500 hours on it and this would be 2nd repair.

should I repair or replace?

It still has same compressor, motors and capacitors.

with this many hours- is this the time when it becomes a money pit to repair?
how long should a dehu last?

Thank you in advance

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I personally would repair if switches, wiring, fan motor, condensate pump and such. Repair should include cleaning of both coils for best efficiency and longevity.

If the refrigerant circuit is the issue, like pinhole leaks, compressor, plugged capillary tube, etc. then I would probably replace.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Thanks guys for the input. I took it apart and will inspect further when I have a chance. I'll repair it if it makes since..

Maybe I was looking for an excess to buy a newer and bigger one like the Dye Eaz LGR 3500i-- nearly 60% more water removal for about 25%more energy use.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
with this many hours- is this the time when it becomes a money pit to repair?
how long should a dehu last?
Most last forever.
We have 30 of the Drizair 2400's big refrigerator size machines we have for when storms hit.
They are from back in the 90's they still work great but Drieaz has made many improvements over it since then. I'd love to get rid of them but they are worth more as back up then to sell off.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You are very fortunate to have received 5500 hours of service from that unit.

Prochem ( I have heard) had so many problems with the tridents they stopped producing them.

Time to buy another unit.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The machine pulls a ton of water. The problem was a bunch of them got shipped out that weren't fully charged and there was no charging port. If it needs to be charged get it charged and keep working. Otherwise buy a 700oi and don't look back. The 3500 is a BIG machine unless you really need it the 7000 is my suggestion that or the revolution. I love those things just need wheels, one day I will convince Mike(Roden)... LOL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think where they have the most benefit is commercial losses. You can stack them in transport, you can stack them and move them with a cart to get into and around in the building. Wheels might get in the way of allowing you to do that???

Name
Nate W.
I think where they have the most benefit is commercial losses. You can stack them in transport, you can stack them and move them with a cart to get into and around in the building. Wheels might get in the way of allowing you to do that???

Those bad boys are nice units but heavy as shit... I agree with the wheels, or have the wheels recessed so it doesn't interfere with stacking..

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The problem turned out to be a $2 fuse in the circuit broad. this fuse is not mentioned in the Troubleshooting or parts lists.
A wire was not routed properly causing the protective coating to wear off and shorted out against the metal frame.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I edited this post because I just remembered it wasn't necessary to remove as much as it did..
In the next day or 2 I'll redo the repair and post step by step pictures.

Attachments

• 20170308_170137.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20170307_183357.jpg
    20170307_183357.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Reactions: dealtimeman

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom