Need a new van

steve_64

The transmission is getting real bad on my 2002 WM. I really don't want to keep dumping money into this thing anymore. It will need upper ball joints Soon too, just did lowers recently.
Those repairs may be the last major thing besides motor which uses a lot of oil. But there is so much smaller stuff too like the dented rear end and creaky doors and rust. I think it's time to move forward.

I called butler and am shopping so if anyone knows of a good butler or similar I'm in the market.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
The transmission is getting real bad on my 2002 WM. I really don't want to keep dumping money into this thing anymore. It will need upper ball joints Soon too, just did lowers recently.
Those repairs may be the last major thing besides motor which uses a lot of oil. But there is so much smaller stuff too like the dented rear end and creaky doors and rust. I think it's time to move forward.

I called butler and am shopping so if anyone knows of a good butler or similar I'm in the market.

I feel your pain. It's time for me to replace my 2004 Chevy with 220,000 miles on it. The transmission has a bad vibration in 3rd gear. Not to mention every crack and crevice of every worn out component of the White Magic Commander is leaking oil. I picked up a 2014 Chevy a few weeks ago and I'm going to have Sunbelt install a TCS unit the week after Christmas.

Good luck on the Butler. Those things are nice!

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
10 year warranty on the new Butler. Since you are an established company the lease or the lease to own payment should be less than fixing a clunker all the time. Really happy with mine. Best of luck which every way you go

steve_64

I'm considering new if I can get it financed but used is probably my best bet.

steve_64

Check with Brian Hanna. Hagopian refurbished their old units. New paint and they look like new.
I tried looking up their number but wasn't sure I found the right one. Read the history of the company though. Pretty cool story.

steve_64

I feel your pain. It's time for me to replace my 2004 Chevy with 220,000 miles on it. The transmission has a bad vibration in 3rd gear. Not to mention every crack and crevice of every worn out component of the White Magic Commander is leaking oil. I picked up a 2014 Chevy a few weeks ago and I'm going to have Sunbelt install a TCS unit the week after Christmas.

Good luck on the Butler. Those things are nice!
I'm considering just getting a new van and transferring the equipment. I can have this done for about $5000. I've replaced most of the parts and it runs real good but the blower will need replacing. The frame is all rusted out too so as much as I like this thing I just think getting new or newer is best for me.

steve_64

Broke a hose cuff yesterday too and don't have a replacement, I already used it. The hose needs replacing and needs new tires.

All new turn key just sounds so good.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm considering just getting a new van and transferring the equipment. I can have this done for about $5000. I've replaced most of the parts and it runs real good but the blower will need replacing. The frame is all rusted out too so as much as I like this thing I just think getting new or newer is best for me.
Some times you are best to move on. What could easily happen is you go through all the hassle of transfer and get nickle and dime'd to death with a money pit.

I think you are wise to consider moving on.

steve_64

I've been working on old equipment all my life and enjoy the challenge but damn I'm getting old fast.

I have had a hard time adjusting but im accepting it now. Kinda like accepting I need a good employee or two but it's hard to let go of the wand. Well it's getting easier to accept but not find the right person.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Evaluate it. If its worth fixing do it as a project in the winter and sell it off. It give you something to do and you can recover some of the investment towards the next unit.

From how you describe the current condition, its sounds like your best bet for the company is to move to the next machine

steve_64

I paid $3000 for this almost 2 years ago and it has been very dependable. I've made more than enough off it even with the repairs I've made. Hell it may run another year if I baby it but I don't lol. And I don't like risking breaking down. The transmission has me very concerned about that.

I will probably keep it until I'm comfortable with what ever I get. I'll call Brian and see what he has Monday and go from there. I've had a couple guys here let me know what they have so I've got some options s to go over.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Damn 3k! You killed on that deal.

I've seen some of Brian's refurbished units and they a the next best thing to buying new. He has mechanics on staff so the vehicles are well maintained and his body guy also does a great job with painting them.

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

I got it from mirf but he doesn't post anymore here. Great guy.

He was thinking of scrapping it when I posted I needed a cheap machine. It worked out perfectly.

I'm looking forward to speaking with Brian.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My local distributor has done several Hydramasters and I think he usually runs around there too. They have to remove it from one and then a new install. I know it takes him awhile, but he is a perfectionist.

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

That includes the $3000 kit whatever that includes I forget. They said it makes their job a lot easier and the parts are new. I imagine bearings and mounts couplers belts and things like that.

I saw a 2005 3/4 ton extended in pretty nice shape for $5500 that would've got the job done but I'm thinking I'd like something to last a lot longer for my investment.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams

You can always keep the old rig as a backup. I plan on keeping old reliable just in case. I might even put one of my young nephews in it doing empties next summer if I can get him trained.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom