need advice on epoxy floor

sassyotto

Name
Paul
My son bought a building to remodel from office space to retail space. It was finally time to have the concrete floor done. The company he chose had a very good reputation in the area.

After grinding it down (was carpet and tile) they poured a leveler on it. Then they poured the coloring on it. Up until this point it looked really good

Then they put epoxy on it and there were bubbles everywhere. The buffed the epoxy off with a rotary machine back down to the color last week Tuesday.

Then Thursday they applied a coat of epoxy and another on Saturday night. Monday morning it still had bubbles and other issues and still is not right.

They knew we were having a plumber come in on monday and although we put moving blankets and cardboard down the floor got scratched in the bathrooms

The contractor said that he would do whatever it takes to fix it but we are unsure at this point on what to do. Any advice appreciated.

IMG_4671.jpg
IMG_4673.jpgIMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

sassyotto

Name
Paul
the contractor is willing to take everything down to the concrete and start over. Problem I have is I did a search on how long it takes for epoxy to fully cure and found various answers from 3 to 10 days so that in itself tells me that they did not wait at least the 3 days before they applied the second coat on saturday and the plumber walked on it on monday causing the scratches because it was not fully cured.

so now that we can start over if we want would an expert here recommend ?

initially he was thinking of this floor which I think is a polished concrete.

de0e5310d2b051086b17180be359c6da(1).JPEG

Mikey P

Administrator
Are the bubbles from moisture in the concrete?

Buffing scraping or anything to get rid of them is going to cause dimples, right?

FredC

Village Idiot
i guess my initial question is would the bubbles be able to be buffed out?

not likely. Depending on the severity it will need to be sanded, cleaned with acetone, and recoated.

*my epoxy experience (concrete/floors) is 25 years or so out of date

Reactions: Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
Are the bubbles from moisture in the concrete?

trapped air ....happens for a few reasons like the top layer drying too fast/previous coats offgassing

*moisture vapor/air from the slab are both possibilities

Reactions: Mikey P

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I think you could reduce the bubbles over time with different grits of pads, but why. He paid or is paying for a bubble free floor. Dang, shiate happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom