Need help on electrical problem with Boxxer....

G

Boxxer 421 with about 2000 hours. Went to use it one day and battery was dead. Battery less than one year old. My van has a hard wire going up to truck battery from old TM so I hooked that up to Boxxer battery and was able to finish job. On next job machine shut down again. Now truck battery was also drained. Truck battery is almost brand new.

A few days later I had new TM battery in. Less than 2 jobs in same thing happens. Machine shuts down in mid job and battery is dead.

Is there an alternator or something similar that is not charging or acting as it should? I'm no mechanic, just want to have an idea before I take it somewhere.

C

C. Copplepot

Boxxer 421 has a briggs and stratton right? The battery charges through the RPM's so there is no alternator. I had the same problem its an easy fix it should cost you around $50 bucks or so. The charging system is usually on the right hand side with one to two wires coming out, you can also fix it yourself. I'm sure someone will chime in with better spec info.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Curt;

The TM is discharging the battery.

Even if it is not charging the truck system should keep it charged.

Could be a bad rectifier on the TM.

Larry

Greenie

Wait til midnight, grab a flashlight, and go swipe Jerks, he won't miss it cause he won't fire up his unit til Fri.

Becker

Name
Becker
Your manual might be of some help in finding out what tpye of charging system you have.

If you don't find what you need you can veiw a manual from Hydramaster.com.

My guess is the charging system is baked. Run the quick tests Bob suggested.

Whats ya going running the Boxxer? What about the bad ass Bluewave?

RichardnTn

Try this

Usually the rectifier goes out because it is too low amperage. Kohler had the same problem a few years back. The rectifiers converts AC from the engine to DC... You should be able to see it close to the front of the engine on the side of the block... there will be 3-4 wires coming out and you should get 13-14 vdc. If you have voltage, that's not the problem. If you don't, check the wire going in, you should have AC voltage coming in...I don't remember how much but it's an odd figure. If you have voltage there, replace the rectifier BUT make sure you get a "bigger" one. I put a 25 amp one on my Kohler and haven't had any problems since. It will be bigger in size but it doesn't matter since it does the same as the smaller one, just bigger to accomadate the extra amperage...hope ya get 'er fixed...Richard

Greenie

You'd think Kohler or the TM mfg. would take OldTimers tip....probably not, that would cost money.

G

Only reason I used the Boxxer was because the Bluewave was in gettin logos on van.........I was pissed though because it isn't supposed to break down when used once every 4 months.

Greenie, nice call on Dirk's. His 8 year old Boxxer has 700 hours, my 8 month old Bluwave has 600 hours......he's a pussy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom