Need help with acid etching stainless

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
19399719_10211533354802777_1292755724055069312_n.jpg

Can anyone help me with this.

I had the dishwasher masked off 2.5 feet up. Everything above the plastic is now dulled.

The chemistry was either Modern Stone Easy Etch or Stone Pro quick clean.

I know I did not spray and chemistry onto this dishwasher. There is not spots or drips. The color change is very even.

The only thing I did different on this job was I didn't use my pump up sprayer, bad gasket wouldn't hold pressure. So I used by battery sprayer. I didn't spray full force but it was a little stronger then the pump up and sprayed a cone pattern.

The other really odd thing is the discoloration didn't show up for 3 days.

What caused it and most importantly what can I do to fix it.

I am really hoping I don't have to buy it.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Travis, I don't know what those products have in them, but my guess is that they fumed and caused the slow reaction.

Try oxalic acid, the product is "Barkeeper's Friend." Stroke it with the grain. I bet you the discoloration will come right off. Neutralize with an alkaline cleaner, then rinse well. Or do both with ammonia glass cleaner.

Then for God's sake, use appliance stainless steel polish on it, to build a vapor barrier on the surface.

Let us know how it goes.

If you have to use steel wool, use stainless wool at a fine (000) grade. Go with the brushed grain and don't make cross scratches.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Travis, mix the Barkeeper's Friend with Hot water in a bowl. It is like skim milk. Dip a microfiber and work from the bottom up, as if you were polishing brass.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
An article on the subject from a few years ago -

If Viper Renew or other Acids Get on Stainless Steel

Stainless steel is sensitive to any acid. Even common beverages such as orange juice are acidic enough to make permanent etches on some stainless steel. Even fumes from some strong acids can make a slight etch. The safest course is to protect any metal surface, especially stainless steel.

When accidents do occur, it is important to remove and neutralize the spill or splash as quickly as possible. Most alkaline cleaners will be fine for neutralizing the acid. An example would be Viper Venom.

How severe an etching, if any, will be left after neutralizing the acid will depend upon 1) How low the pH was, 2) how concentrated the acid was, 3) How long it remained on the surface and importantly 4) The grade or quality of the stainless steel. (There are dozens of grades available. Some etch or stain pretty easily.)

Removing an acid etching is usually done by buffing. How much buffing and with what abrasive compound depends upon the severity of the etching. For light marks try a product called “Bar Keeper’s Friend.” This is sold at restaurant supply stores and intend for cleaning stainless steel in restaurants. Follow label directions. Buff and polish to blend in the affected area. Work from the bottom up. A microfiber cloth works well but you can also use cotton bar towel.

More severe damage will require stronger abrasives. Try various grades of automotive rubbing compound. You can also try 0000 or 000 steel wool. Small areas can be done by hand. Work with the grain of the stainless. Working across the grain can leave new scratches. With some very fine abrasives, you may use a variable speed drill with a buffing pad attachment.

Unfortunately, replacement of the stainless is frequently required. Usually only a decorative panel or one piece requires replacement, not the entire appliance.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I've used car wax to seal and protect from getting hand prints on my dishwasher and fridge

Reactions: Old Coastie

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I see a something different, maybee it's the lighting.

The plastic removed the "patina" from the SS. As I see it, the bottom 1/2 was covered in plastic

Reactions: Mikey P

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
When are you going back to try and fix this? Let us know how it works. When first started we had the same issue with Viper Venom. Didn't even realize it splashed and everything was covered w plastic, but still could see what almost looked like rust, but was etching. Bar Keepers friend did amazing. Unfortunately I didn't know about this board back then, so we tried using every neutralizer, stainless steel polish, cleaner w buffer etc. Finally found out about the Bar Keepers Friend from a vendor and it worked magic. Unfortunately, it wasn't completely smooth you could feel the etching, but the look was much better. Thank god we didn't have to buy the fridge.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I see a something different, maybee it's the lighting.

The plastic removed the "patina" from the SS. As I see it, the bottom 1/2 was covered in plastic

I am actually not sure what that means, but the bottom matches the other stainless appliances in the kitchen. The top part is the discolored area.

Just out of curiosity what would you do if it was the patina

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
When are you going back to try and fix this? Let us know how it works. When first started we had the same issue with Viper Venom. Didn't even realize it splashed and everything was covered w plastic, but still could see what almost looked like rust, but was etching. Bar Keepers friend did amazing. Unfortunately I didn't know about this board back then, so we tried using every neutralizer, stainless steel polish, cleaner w buffer etc. Finally found out about the Bar Keepers Friend from a vendor and it worked magic. Unfortunately, it wasn't completely smooth you could feel the etching, but the look was much better. Thank god we didn't have to buy the fridge.

Over the weekend I think. I will put out an update after.

Thanks for all the advise.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
I see sometimes, it's more or a phenomenon right now, cause it dosnt happen all the time. And usually it is not as consistent as you show, more like folds.

He thinks it might be cleaning th SS, maybe.

Use the oil in the scratch be gone kit we have for repairing SS, or AM enrich as seal works great.

That would be a lot of acid in the air to cause fuming, and it would of happen to the other SS appliances

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
View attachment 73161

Can anyone help me with this.

I had the dishwasher masked off 2.5 feet up. Everything above the plastic is now dulled.

The chemistry was either Modern Stone Easy Etch or Stone Pro quick clean.

I know I did not spray and chemistry onto this dishwasher. There is not spots or drips. The color change is very even.

The only thing I did different on this job was I didn't use my pump up sprayer, bad gasket wouldn't hold pressure. So I used by battery sprayer. I didn't spray full force but it was a little stronger then the pump up and sprayed a cone pattern.

The other really odd thing is the discoloration didn't show up for 3 days.

What caused it and most importantly what can I do to fix it.

I am really hoping I don't have to buy it.

This is exactly what scared me out of the tile cleaning service. are there chems that don't cause this?
useing bar keepers friend saved my ass.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
oh good lord.

I heard jet plains crash sometimes.

How did you get to the Philippines?

Ah-- Its Thailand--- and I take the risk of flying because Ill be screwed in the good way rather then by a fuming Chemical.:rockon: :lol:

However this gap in services provided needs to be closed and I will call you when I return to pick your brain..
I'll be stalking the Hard surface forum while in Thailand to learn more.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ah-- Its Thailand--- and I take the risk of flying because Ill be screwed in the good way rather then by a fuming Chemical.:rockon: :lol:

However this gap in services provided needs to be closed and I will call you when I return to pick your brain..
I'll be stalking the Hard surface forum while in Thailand to learn more.
I've heard that before, that you can get screwed in a good way in Thailand.

brzelt

Name
Bruce Zelt
Only thing I can add is that I have had the two foot tape and plastic make quite a few marks on stainless lately. Not all stainless but a few.
Usually it goes away with a stainless spray polish.

When I first looked at the picture, it looked like the stuff I typically see under the plastic. The top area looked normal.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
so what is the consensus as to the cause? was it the plastic or Acid cleaner?
Seems that viper venom would be a better choice to clean tile and grout since its alkaline?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom