Need help with Kunkle valve installation

N

Nigel W

Hi,

I have just installed a 14hg kunkle valve ( purchased from Magic Wand) on to the waste tank lid of my Prochem Performer. The problem I am having is that the Kunkle is opening on 10hg not 14hg. I have tightened up the existing vac relief valve.

Can anyone suggest any possible causes other than a faulty kunkle valve so that I can try to straighten this out before work next week. I would contact Magic Wand but I guess they have weekends off too.

Many thanks

Nigel

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Nigel,

Unfortunately, Kunkle valves were not designed for our applications. They were designed for dry material handling. In the industry they were designed for, precise hg is not needed. The acceptable tolerance for Kunkle is + or - 4hg from the factory rating. Your valve falls within that tolerance.

Of course in our application, precise tolerances are very important. probably 4 out of 5 Kunkles must be adjusted to open at the proper point for the particular machine they run on. A few, need to be exchanged. I would say yours should be exchanged...it's just too large of an adjustment to make. Especially if you are not totally familiar with their adjustment and operation.

For now, put your spring relief valve back on. Call Taf Monday and ask to either exchange the Kunkle you have, preferably for a Bayco valve, as they are generally less problematic and more accurately set from the factory.

Installation of a Kunkle or Bayco should not be undertaken without a good working knowledge of adjusting them and/or someone experienced in their installation and proper function at hand, either by phone or in person. These are not a simple bolt-on modification.

Take care,
Lisa

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nigel;

We installed our first Kunkle valve on a TM over 5 years ago.

Simply put, the Kunkle IS a spring-loaded relief valve.

It is not a valve I would suggest as an option on our TM.

It cycles to lower vac levels when it opens, unless you modify it with a silly cap with X holes in it.

Your valve needs a significant readjustment.

Larry Cobb

G

Nigel , Call Cobb and get his vac releif system or one mine. Free flow. KUNKLE just plain sucks and not in a good way. Feel free to call me I can help you with it with out affecting your warranty. O it's not magick wands fault . Kunkle sucks.

Rex Tyus

Larry said,
We installed our first Kunkle valve on a TM over 5 years ago.

Simply put, the Kunkle IS a spring-loaded relief valve.

It is not a valve I would suggest as an option on our TM.

It cycles to lower vac levels when it opens, unless you modify it with a silly cap with X holes in it.

Does that mean you are going to take the kunkle off your website or is it just decorative wallpaper?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rex;

The Kunkle is better than most of the vac reliefs out there. That is why it is on our site next to our choice in relief valves.

It is just not the "magic bullet" that some people make it out to be.

Larry Cobb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom