Need some recommendations

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
What would you do with this repair? Have to fix the customers hack job. Also, what should I charge? I have restretched a few, but never anything like this. Can't be any worse than his!!

carpetrepair.jpg

carpetrepair2.jpg

Need to call him on Wednesday, thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timlakeman

Hey Bryan,
By the looks of this job, the client doesn't have spare donor carpet.
If this is the case, and the client is a tenant, I would probably walk. you will definately not match the carpet by sourcing new.
If the client owns the property, then get him/her to source some spare carpet for you because if it doesn't match, it remains their problem (it can also be a waste of your time).

If you do the repair:
Don't cut at angle like the hack job, use Johns' method of finding rows and cutting in between.
When you've cut the straight piece out, use part of the cut out to make repair at door.

For This job, I would charge about $150AU.

Hope this helps!!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
It is a homeowner. I believe the carpet is close, but is put in wrong direction with the pile lay thus the different color. My main concern with this insert is having to stretch out to the tile after I seam it. I can find the rows and cut, but the stretching it back scares me.

Thanks.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Bryan,

a couple of things to add to what has already been said.

Firstly, I don't think you need to stress on the re stretch thing because the main body of carpet is not being lifted, just the corner.

Harry may disagree with me, but I'd probably use either my knee kicker to re locate or else my mini stretcher.

Having said that, leave the overlap slightly long so you can trim to the right amount after you have stretched into place.

Another thing with it up against tiles, don't cut it too short or it won't hold in place. Instead of cutting with enough length to just go in with the edge in the bottom of the gully, cut it slightly longer and create a U shape with the offcut and you'll find that the 'doube thickness' while slightly harder to get in there, will tend to wedge it all tight and hold it.

Next, sell them on a clean of the area prior to doing your repair. It'll often give you a true colour to match to. After you have the donor piece in, use a little white chalk to lighten, you may even need a light grey crayon to dull the colour back a little bit, but that's more Tony's area of expertise.

Hope this helps.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom