Need Tech advice, Please.

G

Let me explain, I have an Apex 85 hours,
Ran great the first several months, water temp at 230\235 all the time when on Hot. I have used an RX at 400psi an kept 230, I used an SX-12 at 1000psi and kept 230,
I had a Pro Chem Bearcat before that. I could never keep that kind of temp. maybe 215 at most. With an Rx it was at 180 at best. That extra 25 - 35 degrees from the Apex makes cleaning easier.

Now, for the last 6 weeks or so I can not keep 230 consistent at all, Its running between 185-200. If I set the wand down for 2-3 minutes the temp will rise to 235, once I start cleaning with the Pro Chem 4 jet wand within a 15 seconds or so the temp slowly goes back down to the 185 area.

What have I done?
1. replaced Engine Thermostat
2. opened peacock on heli Coil, got good flow, no air bubbles.
3. I see no signs of it bypassing from the only 2 area's that it can, Flow Simulator & Water Box.
4. I have checked the Temp. Balance Orifice several times it is never blocked.

I realize that it is colder out now but over a week ago it was 62 degrees out and it was at 190 while doing 2 apartments side by side 8 rooms.

My distributor said that 18 - 195 is an OK working temp, and I should be OK. If he was not such a nice guy I would argue with him. He knows his business well so who am I.

If you have any good professional advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'll go on the assumption that the Apex shares some design details with the larger 405:

Get a digital pocket temperature gauge made for kitchen use. Check the temperature of the exhaust and get back with us. I suspect a problem with your diverter system. Prochem uses a mechanical temp relief valve in the mix tank usually spec'ed at 180 F. to protect the pump. If it sticks open even a bit you lose temperature as well. Likewise there is a solenoid activated valve that is triggered by a mechanical capillary tube and the temp adj knob on the front panel. If any trash gets in that valve it will leak your hottest water to the waste tank as well.

more....

Thanks,
Lee

Greenie

I sought out some help from Great Eagle:

"That Kubota motor is extremely fuel efficient, burning only approx 1 gallon per hour. I would estimate the total heat recovery of that unit to only be max 90,000 btu/hr.

I think he is just experiencing a corresponding decrease in temps as the ambient air and water temps have fallen in the past 6 weeks.

Even though the temps drop on the Apex in the winter about 30 degrees It still hangs around 180-200 here in AZ at full bore, and I can get by with that.

If I lived in snow country, I would have to probably post heat or trade out for a burner unit.

also, One thing he could do is put a higher temperature thermal relief valve in the water box. It comes from the factory with one that opens at 145 degrees.

The pump can easily handle water temps up to 180 degrees, but Prochem doesnt want the liability of someone getting burned by opening the warm water fill valve so they put a lower temp valve on there to regulate the temps.

A higher water box temp will help store more heat and should give higher overall cleaning temps.

Take Care!
Ben "

Name
Lee Stockwell
The ProChem part number for the 180 deg F. temperature relief valve is:

15-808083

It screws into a 1/2"npt close nipple thru the waterbox wall and into a suction strainer, Prochem part number:

14-806540

Thanks,
Lee

ps Ben Allen, Greateagle, is a great resource for Prochem history and troubleshooting. He can probably steer you to some hard-to-find parts if you ask nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom