New Centrum Force rug tumble duster?!?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hey Tom, What's the specs and cost on the new tumble duster I seen in the CleanFax Magazine?

Thanks for the inquiry!

The 8’ model that we designed and built is as follows:

Floor Footprint: 108” X 48”

Height: Measuring from floor 67”

The Basket or Dusting Chamber is 96” long and 60” in diameter. It has two doors to access the interior. It has fins or paddles inside to assist in flipping and tumbling the rugs during rotation.

The entire device is made out of steel and powder coated blue.

It comes with a Baldor Motor with a Euro drive 192:1. Engage the machine by pressing the on button. It rotates about 9 times a minute one way, then reverses 9 times a minute going the other way. It repeats this sequence continuously until the operator stops it by pushing the stop button.

Here is a recent picture of two under construction at our Centrum Force Fabrication facility:

301798_456781277704909_1349585806_n_zps090b76f5.jpg

The beauty is that these devices operate off 110-115 v electrical outlets. It has only about an 8 amp draw.

Ask volume rug washers, that know rugs, what they think of its use:

Call Robert Mann about his 8 foot model as seen above. This is where you can contact him: http://mannrugs.com/

Or call Joe Gabel about his 6 foot model as seen below. Joe has a rug gallery too. His contact is: http://serafians.com/

dolap_zps3fccce2a.jpg

564465_10151148707794663_1038615953_n_zps66e7ae64.jpg

For cost, please just go to our website: http://www.centrum-force.com/equipment-costs.html

Last edited:

Ron K

Looks real nice Tom. Maybe someday.

Is it really that simple that you just put any rug in there and turn it on?

Are there any rugs that should not go in there?

Whats the average time required?

Can you throw in a whole bunch or just one at a time?

Whats the largest rug you can put in the 8" or is it make it fit and it will work.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Looks real nice Tom. Maybe someday.

Is it really that simple that you just put any rug in there and turn it on?

Are there any rugs that should not go in there?

Whats the average time required?

Can you throw in a whole bunch or just one at a time?

Whats the largest rug you can put in the 8" or is it make it fit and it will work.

Ron,

There are variables to each specific question you asked.

I just talked to Robert Mann today. He has put 1000’s of rugs into this device. He loves it for dusting before washing and finish polishing after rug is washed and dry. He is a volume rug washer. He will answer your legitimate questions. (Yes - Multiple rugs can be put into it all at once. Yes - Some big ones much wider than 8 feet can go into it too)

Joe Gabel just started using his since September. He has a track record on the use of it too. He is willing to talk to serious rug washers.

Bryan uses a similar device at D. A. Burns. (Albeit, not one manufactured by Centrum Force®) Likely he will comment on its virtues again as he has in the past.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Hey Tom,
I don't want to badger you, but does this replace the Wolverine ??

Also, where does the dust go??

Do you need a fairly substantial extractor fan close by to remove the airborne dust??

I can see where you're coming from re the polishing effect after cleaning, I do something similar on a much smaller scale with other items. :winky:

Lookin' good.

:very_drunk:

Last edited by a moderator:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hey Tom,

Do you need a fairly substantial extractor fan close by to remove the airborne dust??

I can see where you're coming from re the polishing effect after cleaning, I do something similar on a much smaller scale with other items. :winky:

Lookin' good.

Thanks for the question.

Usually, these devices are put in a separate containment room that has negative pressure. The air movement, caused by an exhaust fan, moves the airborne dust to a storage container, usually outside the room. The heavy particulates just fall to the floor to be sweep up from time to time.

The “Dolap”, as the Turkish call it, is a tool. It replaces nothing. It is another tool in the tool box for processing rugs well in-plant. Joe Gable has air dusting techniques that he has long used, and a Wolverine, before he added the Dolap. Robert Mann uses his Moore automated duster for production, but finds the Dolap or Tumble Duster we make a needed addition for his in-plant rug processing

We still make, and sell, two versions of the Wolverine Rug Duster, and of course, The Automated Rug Duster.

Ron K

Thanks Tom I'll try to speak to them both and post some of their opinions and observations.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
You can't put everything in these you need to be mindful of dry rot and new distressed rugs or really stiff rugs. We just had a large Kirman 10x14 that was really dusty and and a PITA it sure would have been nice to
toss it in that thing and let it run for an hour or two.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Tumbling after washing can remove even more grit that was glued in place by sticky soils. We've found that nap shading is often corrected by a tumbler ride. You do have to develop a feel for how long you can tumble even a stout rug; the side wrap is the most vulnerable area. Don't disconnect the timer!

We built a plywood box around ours and use a woodshop dust collector to contain any dust light enough to float. A good dust collector runs about $500, so adding an enclosure could easily be done for less than $1,000.
View attachment 1369

Name
Nate W.
Thanks for the specs Tom! We've had a tumbler duster like Bryan's @ D.A. Burns... Very nice for those 90line Chinese rugs that only get washed every 5-20years....

To at to Bryan's post, the fringes do start to unravel in left in the tumbler duster too long... Pre and post dusting is the bizness!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Washing gets the sticky soils out.

Most shops dust prior to washing, but not after washing. Sticky soils will hang on to a certain amount of grit that also doesn't come out in the wash process. A second dusting can make a difference.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Nice looking tumblers Tom.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Ken.

Regarding the Tumblers we build: This device has at least two advantages.

First: It can get dry soils out of rugs while humans do other things in the rug plant. Load them and let the work take place. It seems that more rugs in placed in the basket rotating helps create the level of chaos during the tumbling to maximize the benefit.

Secondly: Put a number of already washed silks that have dried crusty into the device. The effects are realized by a soft hand in the pile after they tumble together. Pile distortion on a 90 line Chinese sees improvement too. Stiff linens and Dhurries come out blanket limp and soft. Some call this effect polishing or buffing the rugs.

p.s.

A general statement that I can make, having visited many rug plants over the years, not all rug plants have devices or procedures in place to dust or polish rugs. However, there is an advantage if they do.

Ron K

Robert Mann said he really likes his. Really saves time on Silk rugs!

Name
Nate W.
The sheepskins fluff up very nicely in them too... We have a big commercial dryer converted into a tumble duster for rug 6x9 and smaller... It works for us... I'd soo love to get one that can do those 9x12's Chinese 90liners.... It's priceless for removing the sand from the vacation rental properties we clean!

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
This is a short video that has our Tumble Duster in it:

[video=youtube_share;niRtAOaa46g]http://youtu.be/niRtAOaa46g[/video]

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hey Tom,

Lookin' good.

Here is a picture of what one client did for containment:

cid_0C9628C5-FEFC-48C2-8E19-DCE6C1CB1049_zpse674d042.jpg

They made a separate containment room that has negative pressure. The air movement, caused by an exhaust fan, moves the airborne dust to a storage container located ourside the room. Naturally, the roller door comes down during operation of the device.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Robert Mann said he really likes his. Really saves time on Silk rugs!

I just received an order from Mr. Mann yesterday for a 2nd one. He more than "likes" it. He says, everyone processing rugs there is "loving it!"

Based on his suggestion, we are now putting a timer on all those being built for now on. Why? Just in case an operator gets distracted and forgets he has rugs in there tumbling and time gets away from him. The device now will automatically turn off in 30 minutes if left unattended.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Is this a programmable/ adjustable timer option or set 30 minutes ?
I could see where having the option of adjusting the time would be very helpful

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Is this a programmable/ adjustable timer option or set 30 minutes ?
I could see where having the option of adjusting the time would be very helpful

When we get your order, let's talk about your specific desires and requirements.

Ron K

Tom I noticed the Slat orientation follows a traditional design now.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This is the timer we use on our tumbler. We rarely tumble a rug for more than ten minutes.

View attachment 1712

They come in various time increments. We have 12 hour max on some circuits we plug air movers into, 4 hour max on some of the larger air movers and 1 hour max on a set of storage area lights.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom