New computer (PC)

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
What do most of you buy when its time for a new computer? (off the shelf or custom built)

If you just buy off the shelf, what brand?

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Desktop and iPad in truck. Will need a laptop in van once in Texas. Apple

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I took some advice and stopped buying consumer computers.

Ordered a business class desktop PC from Dell (Optiplex 3040).

Business class seems to run better with higher quality components and non of the pre-installed junk software that comes with consumer models.

Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
MacBook Pro, can be used as a desktop, its portable, its lightweight so you can take it on jobs or vacation...pretty much anywhere.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I buy refurbished iMacs whenever I need new desktops.
I buy refurbished Macbooks whenever I need new laptops.
And sometimes I'll buy refurbished iPads too.

I find that refurbished Apple stuff is normally pretty solid. And I save a bundle. We just replaced 5 iMacs at our office a couple of weeks ago. Purchased from www.MacOfAllTrades.com. We replaced a few of our older 2007/2008 models that were still running. And I recycled one of our 2011 iMacs to a new workstation. The new units are SWEET!

We used to use PC's for our business, but we switched to Mac's about 9 years ago. Switching to Apple has made life easier all the way around. We no longer have to replace computers every couple of years like we used to.

Here's a picture of me setting up a group of the new iMacs...

imac-setup.jpg

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I've owned several Microsoft crap PC's. I'm a mini mac kind of guy now. It's the best thing I've done with PC's. Just get a small flat screen tv for the monitor, and you're game

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I also Apple Lease. So our computers are replaced before they are obsolete. I run Windows on a partition software called Parallels. Windows with less worry. Lease/Subscribe Photoshop/Light Room/ I think 10 dollars a month for both...always have the latest greatest as it updates to most recent builds automatically. Add fonts, try for free or lease other Adobe programs... called Creative Cloud. Lots of cool stuff.
Data is stored at our Server at data center near both coast...redundant, and the Apple Cloud and I also back up important data to My Book external hard drives.
Printers are cheap so throw away old ones and get new ones about every other year. HP

Reactions: SamIam

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
B&H Photo used to include Windows for Mac when you purchase from them.

Not sure if they still do.

Now might be a good time to find a deal on a refurbished MacBook Pro, last years version with ports galore..

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The one I have I built definetly needs to be rebuilt again but mine works it's built for gaming 3 years ago.

So by today's standards lags behind.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I've built a few state-of-the-art systems for video processing work.

Got tired of updating video card drivers continuously.

Now I just buy Lenovo PC's with the components I need,

since I like their quality/value.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom