New direction with Tile & Grout Cleaning

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
A few months ago we cleaned a residential job and during course of conversing with owner he found out we did a lot of commercial cleaning specifically restaurant carpet. He ask if we ever cleaned tile & grout and I said SURE we clean alot of it. Ended up he was a gm for a local restaurant chain that has all tile in FOH. When he told me where it was I told him I had bid it around 3 years ago but I had put the manager at that time in to "Sticker Shock" when I handed him the estimate (this estimate was base on a 6 month total Foh clean). I told him what the estimate was to best of my knowledge and he said what would you do it for if you were to clean it monthly. I told him I would have to go back and review the square footage and look at the job again. He told me what he was paying monthly and I said I'll let you know if I can do it for that. After looking at job I decided to give it a try as a test.

First time we cleaned it took exactly 2 hours for $325. (this was moving every table and replacing) I was estastic! Since then we have gotten it down to 1.75 hours and it's much easier than cleaning carpet and faster. Now I know most of you will think I'm crazy but this job came out to around .15 sf for tile & grout cleaning. For 5-6 years now I have not even tried to go after that market because restaurants wouldn't even consider paying .50 a sf ( I know cuz I ran them for 34 years!) Now I am cleaning 3 that has tile & grout only. So I am going to put together some marketing materials during the slow down months and promote PRICE, yeah I said it! I think I can get bunches to take me up on tile & grout cleaning FOH (front of house) only for .25 psf, and even if this was quarterly I think it will be a great avenue to experiment with.

What do you think?

As a note, we did scrub grout lines in restrooms only for the first clean, but no scrubbing after that simply because it is not necessary. I have an awesome product now that I use that is really cheap. I used to pay around $26 a gallon for tile cleaner that I thought was the bomb (and it was) however I have found a product for $35 for 5 gallon that is as good as "if not" better!

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Great to hear Billy, it sounds like a nice niche to be in! Hope you can continue to do well with it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its a good idea, we usually get our foot in the door with tile work. Restrooms are another good angle we use.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Great idea, we all think in terms of residential rates too often, and residential rates don't apply very well to commercial.

By pricing by what you're making an hour makes much more sense. $185.00 an hour is good money Billy!

Congrats and good luck with the future T & G sales.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Shane,
That's how we got our foot in the door also. We do small sections of tile in restauarants when we do carpet. We rotate these smaller areas monthly so as most foh tile gets cleaned quarterly and it's factored into our carpet cleaning price. In the past couple of years we quit doing tile included with our carpet service. However, there are ALot of restaurants out there that have only tile so may be a good opportunity to tap into that market!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
maybe because Im in hill billy missouri we dont get too many restaurants that get their t&g done regularly. I have 2 jimmy johns sandwich shops we do quarterly however thats it

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Mikey, was that a joke? Restaurants sealing tile! Now that would be a waste! If they won't pay to have it cleaned they certainly aren't going to pay to seal it.

Name
Joe
I have an awesome product now that I use that is really cheap. I used to pay around $26 a gallon for tile cleaner that I thought was the bomb (and it was) however I have found a product for $35 for 5 gallon that is as good as "if not" better!

What is that awesome product that you are using?

Last edited:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
It's Zep Industrail Cleaner (the purple stuff) from Lowes/Home Depot. I will warn you that you need to use precautions when using it. Be especially careful in residential or when folks are around in commercial. We will mix it 40 to 60% water for the first clean then 30 to 70% water when cleaning the same tile in any subsequent cleaning. It contains sodium hydroxide so is very potent! We ususally turn the pressure down when spraying to reduce the chemical cloud. Even the other stuff I used which was really good would kick your butt if you were in an enclosed area.

I had a guy that owned a pressure washing company that gave me a batch of sodium hydroxide that he had mixed up to try to clean back of house kitchen tile in a restaurant. I found that this stuff would kick the grease better than what he was using

Last edited:
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Hey so the front of this house, was it approx 2,100 square? Any idea when the floor was installed? Had they just been mopping all these months/years? We're the grout lines packed and/or polymerized? Turbo?, pressure?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom