New Guy

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by knapster, Jun 4, 2017.

By knapster on Jun 4, 2017 at 8:40 PM
  1. knapster
    knapster

Name:
    Ray
    Hello Everyone,
    I grew up in the floor-covering business and know a great deal about installation and materials but I hope to be able to walk after I retire and have decided to look into another honest living: carpet and surface extraction.
    I have a mechanical mind and to me, common sense just makes sense.

My first two questions out of what will probably be many are:
    1. Can a hard work ethic and good equipment be enough to get started in this business?
    2. Should I sit on my startup savings for a year or two and learn from an established pro?

Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated. Similarly, if you have any questions on repair or other installation related issues, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you for reading,
    -
    Ray da Rookie

Comments

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by knapster, Jun 4, 2017.

• Tags:
    1. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      I plan to invest in TM. I'm a pretty quick learner with an eye for detail but I realize the value in learning from veterans. If I get into high rises or secure locations, I'll look at portables.

My biggest fear is having a unit break down on me while on site. I want to be equipped to resolve it in a timely manner. From what I gather, most of these machines are fairly simple and able to be fixed without the aid of an engineer.
      Dad always told me to carry two of every tool so if something breaks, I won't have to drive all over creation looking for a replacement. Won't be able to fit two TM's in a van though, so I'll have to learn how to work on them.
      Russ T. likes this.
    2. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      With proper maintenance, break downs are rare. When they do happen, you apologize to the customer and find a way to make right
    3. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      cleanking likes this.
    4. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      I'll be 37 this october, and I'm currently wearing a knee brace, my hip has been getting sore, as well as my lower back. But I'm not bitching about it yet
      Mark Von*Lay and jcooper like this.
    5. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      I'll translate from Topekan: 1- Yes, hard work and any equipment are enough to get started. Sustaining the business (without resorting to discounting) as a start-up is hard. 2- No. Most of the people in this industry are just like you. Use some saved money to jump in, then tried to figure out that sustainability thing. 90% are gone every two years, and another 9% just got lucky. I wouldn't recommend going to work for someone in your service area, as you will have made an enemy out of an established local company. Lucky or good, they're already there, and they'll have the incentive to compete you out of business.

Commercial work might be the easiest way to get steady money flowing. Ask Richard, as Idaho is just like Kansas, only lumpier.
      Matt Wood and Desk Jockey like this.
    6. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Pony Boy Curtis

Name:
      Rico
      lol "lumpier"
    7. Mark Saiger
      Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!

Name:
      Mark Saiger
      Hey welcome to the board RJ!

I read over other comments quick, but I always ask anyone who is thinking about this line of work.....

Have you tried it yet?

Before you invest a lot of money, as others have mentioned, keep doing research, but an actual ride a long and or trying the cleaning is really a very crucial thing I believe.

It can be tough work, but if you have been lugging those giant rolls of carpet around and throwing them around, I know you are not afraid of hard work....

I just hate to see people get in to deep and then are selling their equipment off cheap if is doesn't work out.

Many of us have probably benefited picking up some pretty nice new equipment after the fact....(some people have 5 Tile and Grout Turbo spinners...and like to let us know at times @Justin Stockwell :biggrin::clap:)

But seriously, I do wish you the best and will try to help in any manner I can, as well as many on this board take the same philosophy

Looking forward to your posts :)
    8. Justin Stockwell
      Justin Stockwell

The amazing thing about this board to me is that most of these guys will give you cell numbers and answer your calls. A good local dealer is nice. But having guys with 30 plus years experience available to answer questions is priceless. Any mistake you can imagine,one of us has made it.

Just be careful of the Hacks with butlers and no 17inch turbo hybrid.
      Jk Mark. Your truckmount is adorable. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
      Russ T., Nomad74, Mikey P and 2 others like this.
    9. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      Adorable
      BAHAHAHA!!!
    10. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      The reason I suggest going to work for someone else first is to gain experience with the equipment. I have seen too many times, people getting in over their heads. You have to have some understanding or how the equipment works and how to do minor repairs.
    11. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Thanks for the kind advise everyone, it really means a lot that you answered so quickly. I can see that there is a solid community of folks out there who are genuinely interested in each others' success.
      I have no plans of jumping right in. I am actually moving my family to the Spokane area in about a year and that is where I hope to expand on this venture. So, I am blessed with an entire year of planning and research and development of my brand. Was thinking of working as a grunt for the next year under someone else for the experience, figure they won't be too upset if I move 10 hours away to start my own business.
      Do the big franchises make you sign a no compete clause and if so does it matter if you move outside the area to a different territory?
      Cleanworks, Matt Wood and Mark Saiger like this.
    12. SamIam
      SamIam

Supportive Member

Name:
      sam miller
      Actually isn't it buy a Butler and Saiger comes to you?
      Mark Saiger likes this.
      Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    13. Derrick T.
      Derrick T.

Name:
      Derrick Andrew Trulson
      Active stretching and powerlifting will set your body mechanics right and strong for many more years...
      Matt Wood likes this.
    14. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Pony Boy Curtis

Name:
      Rico
      Pay Mike to ride along and go work with him for a week. After a week you'll understand enough to go out on your own.
    15. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      Greetings Ray, You have already seen that all these wizened veterans of the trade don't agree on everything. So while it is nice to have folks to answer your questions, don't expect there will always be one answer.

I was just in Mountain Home Friday and Saturday working on a project. Salt Lake City is not too far to come for a good class. I think Doug Heiferman is teaching in the next couple of months. He does a great class, brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm and is helpful to new start-up business with his background as a CPA.

If you come down to Salt Lake, let me know and I can arrange to let you try out truckmounts, OP machines, CRB and whatever else you have read about on the board but not had a chance to try out. Come on the right Saturday and you can join me in cleaning about 12,000 sq. ft of office / warehouse carpet.
      Mikey P, knapster and Lee Stockwell like this.
    16. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      He says we're "solid".

LOL
    17. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Scott, I may take you up on that offer. It would be a real priveledge to tag along with you. 1 day in the field equals a month of reading... maybe more. Plus, it would be good to get the wife out of town for a day or two.
      Matt Wood and Mikey P like this.
    18. Able 1
      Able 1

Name:
      Keith
      First three years were tough for me, two of them I actually got a tax return with out paying a penny(not sure how that works, but thanks Chavez!).. Reading here can be dangerous right out the gate, so many "you need this or that tool"! I found this place after being in the business for 3 years, and it has truly helped me! If you are going to go for it, DO IT! It will take a LOT of time to build your business, but after you get it going it gets way easier ..
      Mikey P likes this.
    19. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Pony Boy Curtis

Name:
      Rico
    20. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Thanks Able, I expect it to be tough. I predict many nights and weekends of building a referral base outside of my "day job". It is exciting to think of steering my own ship. My wife is a great partner and an excellent bookkeeper so I think we'll make a great team if/when we pull the trigger on this thing.
      Able 1 and Matt Wood like this.