New Guy

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by knapster, Jun 4, 2017.

By knapster on Jun 4, 2017 at 8:40 PM
  1. knapster
    knapster

Name:
    Ray
    Hello Everyone,
    I grew up in the floor-covering business and know a great deal about installation and materials but I hope to be able to walk after I retire and have decided to look into another honest living: carpet and surface extraction.
    I have a mechanical mind and to me, common sense just makes sense.

My first two questions out of what will probably be many are:
    1. Can a hard work ethic and good equipment be enough to get started in this business?
    2. Should I sit on my startup savings for a year or two and learn from an established pro?

Your advice and experiences are greatly appreciated. Similarly, if you have any questions on repair or other installation related issues, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you for reading,
    -
    Ray da Rookie

Comments

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by knapster, Jun 4, 2017.

• Tags:
    1. Derrick T.
      Derrick T.

Name:
      Derrick Andrew Trulson
      Laws of serendipity...be bold and go forth! You cant go wrong there..
      Mikey P likes this.
    2. TomKing
      TomKing

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom
      Welcome to the board.
      Question
      1. No
      2. Yes

Several thoughts come to mind

1. Focus on your business plan FIRST, equipment second.

2. Establish a written plan to how you will launch your business. Budget, time line, services you will offer,

3. Start part time evenings and weekends before you leave a good job. Don't just buy a rig and go for it. This will also give you time for your online reputation to start building steam. Don't get in a hurry!!!! Did I say keep your day job.

4. Come to MF so you can become known. This board, SFS and some specialized rug training have been key to our technical success.

5. Visit 3-5 solid companies across the country. I would look for companies that have started and grown well in the last 5-10 years. Do a couple ride a longs. I would suggest you do 2 days with the same company if possible.

6. Pick a business mentor. You will get lots of great information from this board but not everyone or everything is for you. To many voices messes you up. It is also hard to figure out who is who. Took me 2 years to figure out some of these guys are full of it and the ones who are not don't look like it. LOL

7. Take some real time with your mentor to help create a brand. Simple things like the wrong address, phone number or domain name can hold you back from gaining steam. Don't get in a hurry!!!!

8. Find a technical mentor to help you build your first truck. I would look for someone that has been able to get 2-5 trucks on the road. What you will get is usually a system that is repeatable and you should be able do the same in your town. Read the E-myth!

9. Do a DISC profile test. Read the book "Now Discover your strengths". Ask the people close to you what are your weaknesses? What are your strengths?Would they want to work for you? Have you ever been a supervisor? Do you have what it takes to be a entrepreneur? Lots of guys come into this business and they were good techs but are not good small business owners and they fail.

10. Save up 6-9 months living expenses before you leave your current job. Use your mentor to create a reasonable first year financial plan. Attend a Dave Ramsey debt free living class prior to starting your business.

Hope this gets you started. Welcome to the world of cleaning.
      Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    3. Lee Stockwell
      Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
      Lee Stockwell
      Awesome Tom!
      Mark Von*Lay and Mikey P like this.
    4. HWEOnly
      HWEOnly

On Vacation

Name:
      Jeff Hodge
      Coming to the forum (BEFORE you start your business ) is smart!!
      Lots of knowledge, humor and bad taste for music on this board.

Some of these guys affinity for the 80's boggles my mind. Hair bands NOT included.
    5. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      S
      Thank you Tom,
      'Now Discover Your Strengths' is a fantastic read, an old supervisor handed me a copy years ago. I try to apply it's principles daily and it has served me well.
      I appreciate the advise, the Mrs and I are currently listening to Ramsey's Financial Peace series...
      Mikey's Forum has been a wealth of knowledge so far. Who knew that in an industry as competitive as this, that one could find so many that are willing to help each other out.
      I worked for a company called Les Scwab Tire Centers here in the West for a few years after I left the family business. Les had a great business model which he wrote a book on called, 'Pride in Performance, Keep it Going'. If any are interested in expansion of staff, it's at least worth a read even if it isn't for you.
      I'm a child of 80's rock AND country... Doesn't get any better than Yoakam or Men at a Work, IMO
    6. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

The ONE

Name:
      uhh huh youuu got it!
      me too!
    7. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      Have you been to Prinville Oregon where Les Schwab corporate is located?

You'd think you'd died and woke up in a Jimmy Stewert film..

Wonderful.
    8. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Oh yeah, went there for the new man meeting. Met Les and Phil (RIP). Was pretty cool to see the retread factory. Hay bales and dust as far as the eye can see...
    9. Mark Von*Lay
      Mark Von*Lay

Name:
      Mark
      Hope things work out all the way for you as a baby in this industry a year, I can't tell you what the knowledge here has done for me, it has shaved years off trial and error, I spend every spare moment learning,I'm 53 and there have been some really sore days a good back brace is a must, what's great and wonderful is I can't get enough I love it.... and 90 percent of the people and 100% of the professionals... listen to all of the Mikey's board webinars as well and it's so tempting to go out and finance a truck mount.....if the phone don't get ring what does It matter.... there are a lot of ways to get business going before one breaks the bank.
      knapster and Mikey P like this.
    10. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      In that case, it's exactly like Kansas.
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    11. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Well, sh!t! Not ONLY do I gotta decide whether to go all in on a TM vs. going the Portable route. Now I have to look into a VLM rig. I always figured VLM was for dummies that just made the puke smell better. Now I'm finding that it actually has a purpose!
      Is this something I'll learn more about during IICRC certification? If I use it in tandem with HWE, is it going to gum up my equipment?

The rabbit hole just got deeper and I am no longer in Kansas!

"Airplanes are hard to catch"
      -words of wisdom from my 3 year old son
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    12. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      Just focus on getting a good truck mount or portable right now. Once you get it, and get accustomed to HWE, then you can mess around with vlm. I've been cleaning carpet over 13years with just a truck mount, and it hasn't hurt my business any. I've been messing around with vlm a little here and there, and I'm not gonna invest a fat check in a cimex or orbot any time soon, just because my commercial customers around here can't wrap it around their ignorant heads that maintenance is the only way to keep the traffic lanes from being permanent.
    13. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      Gay
      hogjowl likes this.
    14. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      You're late for the party. What've you been doing? Cleaning school carpet:madder:

Can you tell how jealous I am that you have a school system that actually spends money on guys like us?
    15. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      HA! Starting at 6am just to stay caught up. This last couple of weeks has been killing me. I've got 9 more rooms to clean and I'm done with that job. I cleaned 11 yesterday and a house. Going to be 111° today, wish me luck. I might actually have enough money to get my hotel room for Mikey's Fest after this week. Up until now I've been planning on sleeping in my Promaster.
      Mikey P and Matt Wood like this.
    16. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Badass
      Nomad74 likes this.
    17. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      You have to know what job you are going to do before you decide on the proper tool to do it.

Each method and type of equipment has benefits and disadvantages; pros and cons. But the decision needs to be put into context. Trying to be everything to everyone is not a marketing strategy. Will your target market be offices buildings? Retail stores? Institutional? Large volume residential cleaning? High end residential cleaning? Apartments and condos? etc.

Decide where you want to focus. Where are there openings in the market. Then you can decide on the tool that helps you serve that market.
      Russ T. and Mikey P like this.
    18. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      Thanks Scott, good point. My marketing strategy is simple:
      total world domination.
      But if I can just make a solid living at it, that would be ok too.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    19. knapster
      knapster

Name:
      Ray
      In the interest of having the floor dry in hours and not days, I am looking at a Nautilus MX3-1200 for a porty

The Jury is still out on a TM (thought I had a clue, then someone brought Judson to my attention)

I'm sure the weakest TM would still blow away this porty but I can't afford both and it seems that no matter what, I'm going to need a porty.

After reading everyone else's horror stories though, there is something to be said for not having to dump in a toilet, ask where the breaker panel is or run off of cold water; not to mention lugging around a 160 lb. extractor.

Maybe I could just go cheeeeep on both setups and tinker on them over the winter, then kick some serious butt in the spring.

Decisions, decisions...
    20. Derrick T.
      Derrick T.

Name:
      Derrick Andrew Trulson
      Did you watch grant video about daisy chain the portable extractor? You increase performance in lift and cfm. I might invest in mytee vac booster for my main porty...
      Mark Von*Lay likes this.