New home construction dust on concrete?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think I’ve asked before but it’s been a while.

I get these calls quite a bit with a fair amount of new construction going up around me.

I have an estimate tomorrow but told customer we’d be prepared to clean at that time.

Their socks are getting dirty when they go downstairs to the unfinished basement...

Can I get almost all dust off the floor with a pretreatment (Saiger Sauce) and scrub with CRB (what brushes?) with a fresh water rinse with the spinner?

I thought I might run the spinner at relatively low pressure, around 600 psi.

Would a 175 be better?

Thanks!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I wish I did duct cleaning because the dust just keeps coming for a while after a new home is built.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If dusty you should probably use a HEPA vacuum. If not it should be an easy scrub and rinse. Maybe they should consider sealing it after you clean it. ???

If it's an on going problem they might check into a high efficiency furnace filter and replace it as needed. Many furnaces come with low grade filters that do little more than act as rock catchers and let small particles pass through the system to be redistributed throughout the home. A better filter may slow down the dust problem by trapping it in the filter.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
grout cleaner and spinner @ grout cleaning psi. crb and 175 will just push dust into concrete.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Rinse and seal. Be prepared to replace the plastic ring on your spinner. Even though the concrete looks smooth it will wear the ring quickly. I used the same sealer used on green concrete from Home Depot.

steve_64

I use my 15 inch hydroforce spinner with brushes and the wheel kit. Follow up with the wand because the spinner leaves it gritty.

Nothing but water at about 800 psi.

Also carry a scraper for paint specs and adhesives. On some we use a scraper on a pole first. The glue is from the insulation on the walls and the floor joists.

Easy money.

The concrete is probably already sealed.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Don’t forget your “Handy Phrase Manual for Describing Painters and Plasterers” available from Amazon.

And yes, take a scraper.

steve_64

We have removed hundreds of pounds of sand from the foundation sitting through winter and it's already sealed. This is after the house was built too.

Had to shovel and bucket it out first before shop vaccing and then as I described above.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
very possible to already be sealed. some contractors put a sealer on to slow down the water evaporation and in the process the curing as well, makes for a stronger concrete.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It’s not sealed.

They had boxes everywhere this morning so I’ll see them on Tuesday.

I was planning on just pretreat and rinse with my spinner.

It’s pretty dirty down there. I had imagined it was really just dust.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
On new construction its not uncommon to have mud, sand and sawdust in the cracks of the concrete. When I clean my garage floor lots of debris comes up where they made the crack cuts. Sheetrock dust along the edges too.

steve_64

I use this scraper. Keep it in my back pocket. It cleans the cracks and the vac slot on the wand and spinner too.

I just use a big shop vac first. Usually gotta clean the filter a couple times. I use the hard floor tool without the brush on the shop vac. Seems to work best. Keep it locked down and walk slowly backwards. Takes about an hour on our basements.
Don't skimp on this step if it's bad. Be meticulous it really pays off when you flush it. Debris will plug your spinner.
You don't need any cleaning detergents unless there is oil but I've never seen that.

Just spinning it won't get it all out but they may be ok with that. Our guys go around rubbing their hands across it checking for grit. But we go in at the end so it may be different but if it is getting sealed make sure its not left gritty.
KIMG0720.jpg

steve_64

We've tried smaller shop vac s but they all failed because the filter plugs up to fast.
KIMG0722.jpg

steve_64

W

What, crb might, but a 175 certainly would not. Not sure why you would use grout cleaner on cement.
Run the scraper along the cracks and shop vac it up. Scrubbing is s waste of time. I've tried it. We did 22 new construction jobs last year.

Reactions: Russ T.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Ok, I get it and grout cleaner and neutral cleaner is same thing too. Semantics, but not cost. Just saying. But you do whatever suites your fancy.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I guess if you fellows are doing residential, then I guess grout cleaner and spinners #whichIhave, and scrappers would be the way to go, but you get thousands sq. ft, it’s certainly not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom