New science?

I feel like I read somewhere recently that new study's suggest that carpet didn't necessarily have to be neutral for carpet protector to adhere to them.

I was excited because I use flex fire a lot. Now I can't find any info on it.

edit: moved to bird room

Carpet neutral or no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I feel like I read somewhere recently that new study's suggest that carpet didn't necessarily have to be neutral for carpet protector to adhere to them.

I was excited because I use flex fire a lot. Now I can't find any info on it.

Carpet neutral or no?

There's probably some truth to that and different for water based vs solvents, but I don't think it is something to be too worried about assuming the prespray is thoroughly rinsed and neutralized.

There are hotter products out there than FF.

I would think that even just a fresh water rinse should bring the pH within range to not be a problem.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
years ago when reps started pushing acid rinses, (part of Prochem's "max clean/min residue" marketing) the Prochem rep told us of how just a coupe drops of acid rinse left in the sprayer could contaminate and make protectant less effective .
The gist of that was to use different sprayers (one dedicated to protectant only)

OK, that makes sense to me.

The part that didn't make sense was leaving acid rinse on the carpet before protectant .
and the most incongruent one was to spritz acid rinse on the carpet if you didn't run it thru the wand
Then apply protectant

when I asked, if a couple drops of acid rinse contaminates the whole pot of protectant (as he told us an hour previously ) why wouldn't that same reaction happen spraying protectant on carpet that's been spritzed with acid rinse?

didn't get much of an answer to my question

bottom line??
don't over think protectant, Dude
the truth is, it's greatest benefit is to $our bottom line$ . that's the reason we push it
cause the way we apply water based protectant to carpets* topically on site ain't sheeit in reality...it's crap

*on carpets in particular ...upl fabric is different, it does make difference because we're applying to a flat surface .
Not a fiber bundle we'd have to soak to actually get any real effect

..L.T.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD and SCC

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Always thought the people who post misted an acid rinse on the carpet after cleaning were stupid.
Stupid as in most acid rinses leave a residue.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
It really depends upon the specific protector. Some contain anionic surfactants. Some contain cationic surfactants. Some are non-ionic. A neutral or slightly acid environment works better for cationic protector.

The real key to how well a protector adhere to a fiber is the lack of residue of any previous detergent or soil! Relating to protectors, that is where i would focus my attention.

There are reasons for an acid neutralizer rinse. They tend to make the carpet feel softer. They neutralize alkaline residues which if left on a fiber can weaken some types of dye over time, leading to fading of the color.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
For those with an interest in the latest science regarding protectors, protectors on polyester, etc. There will be presentations on this at the IICRC Technical Conference in Big Sky MT next month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom