New to MB

ReconScout

Name
Allen McKinney
What's going on gents and gentettes! I am new to this forum. Some of you know me and some of you don't. Anyways....grew up in this industry. My father got out of the military in 1987 and started our company (Brighter Image Carpet Care) with a crappy portable unit and we are still running strong. (No more portable units) I am now following in his footsteps after getting out of the military and in the process of trying to continue to grow our company. I am also not new to carpet cleaning...my father put a wand in my hand when I was about 10 or 11 years old...I still remember being taken on a "trip" to help him out with the hotels he use to do in the mid 90's. I also worked full time for him for about 10 years before I joined the military. But I am back and ready to learn as much as possible. Look forward to meeting more like minded entrepreneurs. The occasional drama is always fun too :)

ReconScout

Name
Allen McKinney
Welcome aboard!!

At what age did you take on your father's passion?
To be honest in my early 20's I had no interest in my fathers business which is why I joined the military. I was injured and medically discharged after a deployment to Afghan. I got out in Nov of 2013 and took a Job in Colorado. The money was good but the job I had required me to work very long hours so I decided to make the move back home. (Now 31 years old) I decided to get back into the family business but this time with a different outlook. Little did I know the job I just left from would end up being LESS hours than I currently put in. Really my passion for doing this didn't really hit until about this time last year. The day I stopped looking at myself as a carpet cleaner but rather an entrepreneur is the day everything changed for me. I have almost became OCD about it..

2 years ago you would have never caught me on a forum trying to learn from veterans in this industry about running a carpet cleaning business...

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The day I stopped looking at myself as a carpet cleaner but rather an entrepreneur is the day everything changed for me. I have almost became OCD about it..

2 years ago you would have never caught me on a forum trying to learn from veterans in this industry about running a carpet cleaning business...

When The student is ready, the teacher will appear. With your Military training ( adapt and survive) and your reduced Ego (you are willing to learn as opposed to knowing IT all) you have the right mindset to be successful.

Welcome Allen.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Awesome to have you here Allen!

Loved reading about your story coming into the industry....

Sounds somewhat like me (except for military service :) )....

But dad had me on a van at age 10, and I have been in and out of the industry a couple times, but always seem to get drawn back in.

Really looking forward to hearing more about you and your family business :)

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Man are you a glutton for punishment wanting to be an "entrepreneur". Its much easier being a carpet cleaner! ;)

Man-That is So true!!-- Last week I asked my Employees if I could Quit!-- they said No!- haha
I put Out Those "fires" while thinking- "it least I'm not in Thailand bored out if my Mind--
ReconScout can Top that by saying-- "It least I'm not being Shot at"

Reactions: Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Definitely sounds like the guy has a lot of the raw materials to do great in this biz.

When my little bro (32) helps me it's a little different.

He's a good cleaner and FUN to work with BUT he dry heaves when emptying the dump tank. It's hilarious, but a clear indicator that he might not have what it takes for the long haul!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Welcome and thank you for your service.

There is lots to learn from this group. Please do not hesitate to connect and let us know how we can help.

Thanks again!

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
First, thank you for years of service protecting us. Second welcome aboard!

Man are you a glutton for punishment wanting to be an "entrepreneur". Its much easier being a carpet cleaner! ;)
So many people want to be business owners or an "entrepreneur" and so few are really capable. There is a reason 95% of business's fail within the first 5 years. I have often been asked by others (non entrepreneurs) what is the most important thing about running a business. When I tell them it's a high tolerance for pain they think I'm joking. If you have more than technical skill, true desire, and stones you'll have a chance. Welcome Allen, looks like you qualify.

Name
Jefftry Tobian
Hi my name is Jeffrey Tobian and I am the owner of Alpine Professional carpet care I have been in business since 1994 and have been cleaning carpets since 1986 . John Olson told me to check out this forum . so here I am . Some people might know me from google plus. Thanks for letting me join this forum. Where do you go to see post on carpet cleaning?

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hi my name is Jeffrey Tobian and I am the owner of Alpine Professional carpet care I have been in business since 1994 and have been cleaning carpets since 1986 . John Olson told me to check out this forum . so here I am . Some people might know me from google plus. Thanks for letting me join this forum. Where do you go to see post on carpet cleaning?

Welcome aboard Jeff

Great to see you here :)

Reactions: Jeffrey Tobian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom