Newsletter Marketing

BB

I would like to know if anyone use newsletters for marketing and how do they work. There are many companies selling them. How well do they work? Would somebody like to send me a copy of theirs? Is it worth trying to do myself? Thanks a newbie that does not post much. Bill in GR

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Have to believe that Brevik on this.
I've done it years ago and asked customers if they read it......most don't remember getting it and tossed it in the trash.

He's right ....who wants to read about CC? or anything related to cleaning?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We used it for several years. The problem was getting it out on a regular basis. During the busy times, we were too busy cleaning. During the slow times we were too busy searching for jobs.

Over several years we did average almost 2% (!.62%the last year) response from each mailing. As Jimmy says, that means that over 98% did not read or did not remember reading it. The ones that did respond produced good enough jobs to make it worth while. I am firmly convinced that it would have been even better if it was done regularly.

Our company now produces a newsletter that you can personalize and customize. I will be glad to mail you a sample printed copy. Just send me your mailing address.

Scott Warrington

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
newsletters

This is really scary. I agree with Terry and Jimmy. They are right, no one wants to read about carpet cleaning.

That is why our newsletter does not have carpet cleaning articles.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
we do them and they work great

If you make them so that they are not all about carpet cleaning then you get more attention from them..................

We send them out every 3 months to existing clients with all kinds of information along with tips to help keep there carpets clean etc,etc..

They are more designed to keep your name in fresh in there minds
we skipped a set one time last year and had clients call and ask........
I also get comments on them when I go do a cleaning.....

So I know that they are effective.and they make some impact...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Just buy them from the two salesmen here.....we don'ts know nothin.

Cameron1

Terry and Jimmy are right.... If all you want to do is remain a one horse dog and pony show for the rest of your life. But now, If you want to create some valve in your company, and grow your business to unimaginable heights..... then you might want to listen to those that have.

Yes, there are several excellent ones available. Do not try to do this yourself. They are well worth the money.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Steve I started out mailing those POS newsletters that Joey P sold.
I then stepped up and sent out big bang's and then pemberton's..............
with no effect.

Cameron1

Jimmy, it is true that what works for one might not work for another, especially when you factor in demographics and local economies.

I did not know you were a Piranha member. lol

Will you tell us more about Smalltowndefenders.com

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Smalltowndefenders is about Hazelton PA a town that is starting the trend to rid our land of illegal immigrants .
I hope it catches on around the country and also exposes the ACLU for its communist activities and anti USA viewpoints.

Cameron1

Congratulations Terry, I think that is the first time I have seen you post a complete thought or sentence in a post.

Now, have you tried anger management therapy? You will never be able to grow as a person until you let go. Did Joe destroy your self- esteem, or your life?

Have you ever met Joe? Been to a boot camp? Did Joe cause you to go bankrupt?

If not, then why all this animosity? Please tell us.

Jimmy,
I knew if we tried hard enough, that we could find common ground. I am with ya brother!

Cameron1

yes, it does generate sales. It is just another way to keep your name in front of the client. It will set you up as the ,"go to guy" in their minds.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Seriously..

For those of you that have had success with newsletters, does your phone ring plenty two days latter?

Good question, Mike. We did newsletters for years. This was before there was anything out there with the turnkey, personalized programs they have today.

Editorial note: It was (and is) a HUGE investment of time producing our own N/L. Today I would definitely go with a packaged newsletter program and invest my time where it counts- belly to belly, face to face selling jobs. (And no- I have NOTHING to do with Jon-Don's or anyone else's program.

Back to the question. Marketing is such a slippery subject. David Olgivy is reputed to have said, "50% of my advertising dollar is wasted. I just don't know which 50%!"

For example, you ask a caller, "What made you call my company?" She replies, "I got your name out of the Yellow Pages." True. But even she doesn't know what subconsciously made her POP! choose to dial your number. Seeing your trucks over the years? A neighbor that mentioned your name two years ago and that she has consciously forgotten? One of your radio ads? Or your newsletter that she glances at and throws in the trash? Who knows?

This is why these precise percentages that people quote on any given marketing medium tend to make me nervous. Marketing, especially if you do not have a direct response built into it such as a coupon, is both synergistic AND emotional. It is not wrong to try and track your responses. But there is an old saying, "The only thing worse than no numbers is bad numbers." It is very easy to get "bad numbers" when analyzing your marketing.

But I digress. Back to your question, Mike! No, we did not get a "flood" right after our newsletter hit. We DID have many of our clients tell us they enjoyed the newsletter. And Big Billy is right. We did not feature carpet cleaning as a main topic. We ran community news and events, customer and employee profiles, recipe contests, jokes (clean), etc. Oh, and we also ran a "Loyal Customer Special" each issue just for previous clients.

As usual, with marketing you roll the dice ...

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and Marketing Dunce
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Mike, at the end of the day I could never prove that my newsletter paid off based on direct response. But in my heart I think it is a much more effective way of marketing than mass media for most companies. And my numbers proved it. We were not a huge business. But we grossed $750,000.00 yearly in a market base of 30,000 people and with a very nice bottom line. My total advertising budget the last year before I sold the company? 2.8%! And as I recall almost all of this was invested in our newsletter program.

Special note to Big Billy Yeadon: Forgive me Bill for treading into your area. Guys, Bill knows more about selling to women than anyone in the industry. Maybe he could give me some hints with Sioux ...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Mikey the KKK is just subliminal marketing.
Keeps me out of the bad areas of town.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom