NEXT!

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
As much Free stuff as Bristor sends me I could open up my own online store. He tells me ever since I started posting over there I generate 77% more traffic to his online store. Im a legend over there.

Golden Boy

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
How many jobs are you doing now during those 3 months?

Who will you refer your regulars to who need immediate help?

Did you quit your babysitting job?

Your wife and kids are OK with you hanging out with Hugh Hefner-be for 3 months?

Is their an effective AIDs vaccine available yet?

I'm not sure if Waldo has read this story but he needs to know this about Booming:
From NYT
Some time back, researchers writing in The New England Journal of Medicine decided to ask older Americans about their sex life and discovered something interesting: very often, they have one.

When Robin G. Sawyer, an associate professor in the University of Maryland School of Public Health, shares this information with his students, some seem horrified.
Maybe they are troubled by the thought of “wrinklies,” as a character in the Christopher Buckley novel “Boomsday” calls them, being intimate. But maybe what gets them is just how often many baby boomers boom — at least two or three times a month, the study found.
“That’s better than some of my undergraduates,” Dr. Sawyer said.

There can, however, be a cost. A vigorous sex life for boomers carries the same risk as it does for younger people: sexually transmitted diseases. And writing last year in the medical journal Student BMJ, researchers point to a rise in the number of adults over 50 seeking treatment for such infections, including the virus that causes AIDS. In 2011, the most recent numbers available, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified more than 12,000 cases of gonorrhea, about 2,600 cases of syphilis and more than 22,000 cases of chlamydia in people ages 45 to 64.To some extent, the explanation for the increase in older people with S.T.D.s is the same as the explanation for what one presumes is an increase in older people owning goldfish: there are more of them around to become infected or, as the case may be, to visit a pet store. And officials at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stress that the biggest public health threat is posed by infections among people ages 15 to 24, who account for half the new infections each year.
But for baby boomers the situation may be a bit more complicated. To begin with, there are physical changes that may increase the risk of infection. As women age, the Student BMJ researchers noted,the thinning of the lining of the vagina and a loss of lubrication make tiny abrasions more likely, creating entry points for viruses. Change in vaginal pH after menopause may also increase risk, they said.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I agree with Bill, its a Customer "SERVICE" Position, not sales. I've seen some of the work these "sales" guys do. They know how to sell but can't clean worth crap! Takes both attributes, being able to work well and take initiative is one thing, being personable and able to learn how to talk to people is another. Both can be trained IF the student is willing and able. The young man that "offered" dessert knew how to "serve", not sell.

Joe Polish had an idea, put an ad in the paper for hiring, direct that to an 800 # giving them instructions to write an essay, hand written, about how they will benefit your business. They tell you all the good stuff, bragging about how they will do this and that. Then you have that on file and if they don't perform you have their hand written statements as a grounds for letting go.

Asking your clients as well if they know of someone. They aren't going to recommend someone they wouldn't let into their own house.

I don't think I would ever hire someone with previous cleaning experience. Most guys only know how to work fast and do adequate work, be a tough job teaching them to be meticulous and thorough.

Additional question, how many are looking at both sexes as potential hires or are you looking only at gents?

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
There are few "gents" left.

Most are self absorbed failures to launch.

However, I understand what you are saying about the sexs. My all time best cleaner was a girl.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I don't think I would ever hire someone with previous cleaning experience. Most guys only know how to work fast and do adequate work, be a tough job teaching them to be meticulous and thorough.

Additional question, how many are looking at both sexes as potential hires or are you looking only at gents?

Ron your comment got me thinking.

If all of us have such bad experiences with hiring former cleaners what does that say about how we are doing at training our people? Myself included

What does that say about the national franchises? Who you would think have the muscle to build a better model.

I really do believe the IICRC basic carpet cleaning class has the ability to do this if most instructors would stop trying to have a business class with the cleaning class.

If a tech had a solid science background we would have the opportunity as owners to do a good job of teaching how that applies in the field.

As to your second question. I am just keeping my eyes on my wife because in the words of another local cleaner "Half is a lot". LOL

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
go buy a day-glo orange vest an hang out wit the local piggly wiggly basket boys.......looking for the more energetic ones...
although i gotta warn ya the cops usually come by and run yor background check........

don ask me how i know this...........

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Ron your comment got me thinking.

If all of us have such bad experiences with hiring former cleaners what does that say about how we are doing at training our people? Myself included

What does that say about the national franchises? Who you would think have the muscle to build a better model.

I really do believe the IICRC basic carpet cleaning class has the ability to do this if most instructors would stop trying to have a business class with the cleaning class.

If a tech had a solid science background we would have the opportunity as owners to do a good job of teaching how that applies in the field.

As to your second question. I am just keeping my eyes on my wife because in the words of another local cleaner "Half is a lot". LOL

Tom where have you been (in a class room) Rons statement is common knowledge for all smaller companies when it comes to a new hire. The greener the better. Tom all the classroom training in the world will never make a good tech... .First and foremost above all else it is all about attitude.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Tom where have you been (in a class room) Rons statement is common knowledge for all smaller companies when it comes to a new hire. The greener the better. Tom all the classroom training in the world will never make a good tech... .First and foremost above all else it is all about attitude. It is harder to retrain a guy than it is to train from scratch.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I completely understand where Tom is coming from...

Back up 5-6 years I was a manager for a company I had been with for 4 years or so. We had gotten into WDR and I was sent off for official training. I came back from class was excited and stoked with new information, technical and marketing wise, and was really passionate about it. I was certain what I learned we absolutely had to do and doing anything but that was incorrect. Hind-sight, experience and maturity 5-6 years later I was an idiot, figuratively I had cut my own throat. And it was the beginning of the end to my employment. However I learned a lot of things since then and like many I learned I'm one of those non-employable types, but at the time I threw away a decent living wage with medical benefits. Admins, mods, and backroom participants probably remember this.

I'm all for the instructors being passionate about what they're teaching, and education as a whole is great for our industry. Taking that experience and now being someone that will be employing people I'm hesitant in how I'm going to train them. It makes me highly consider either finding an instructor to do in-house training, or purchasing manuals, and taking the time to train them myself for the company's needs.

Tom - I love your idea of the dinner - thanks for all of the great info here.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Tom where have you been (in a class room) Rons statement is common knowledge for all smaller companies when it comes to a new hire. The greener the better. Tom all the classroom training in the world will never make a good tech... .First and foremost above all else it is all about attitude.

My point is the classroom is a great place to instill good science to how we clean. The field is a place to put that into practical application with a mentor.

You can't tell me you really think sitting in a class is not worth someone’s time?

I think I also said I have had the same experience as Ron.

My second point is how do we look at ourselves as an industry and do a better job both in large companies and small ones.

There has to be a way to improve what we are currently doing.

I send all my new techs to the IICRC carpet, upholstery and odor classes.

They come back with some basic knowledge that is taught in a systematic fashion. They also find a lot of pride when the certificates go up on the wall.

We don't tell them this is the end of learning we tell them this is the beginning.

I know there are a lot of thoughts on these classes in our industry. BUT my green techs do not know this. They see it as an opportunity to learn and become a better professional at what they are doing. It also gives us a common language at our company when we are teaching in the field.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I completely understand where Tom is coming from...

Back up 5-6 years I was a manager for a company I had been with for 4 years or so. We had gotten into WDR and I was sent off for official training. I came back from class was excited and stoked with new information, technical and marketing wise, and was really passionate about it. I was certain what I learned we absolutely had to do and doing anything but that was incorrect. Hind-sight, experience and maturity 5-6 years later I was an idiot, figuratively I had cut my own throat. And it was the beginning of the end to my employment. However I learned a lot of things since then and like many I learned I'm one of those non-employable types, but at the time I threw away a decent living wage with medical benefits. Admins, mods, and backroom participants probably remember this.

I'm all for the instructors being passionate about what they're teaching, and education as a whole is great for our industry. Taking that experience and now being someone that will be employing people I'm hesitant in how I'm going to train them. It makes me highly consider either finding an instructor to do in-house training, or purchasing manuals, and taking the time to train them myself for the company's needs.

Tom - I love your idea of the dinner - thanks for all of the great info here.

I with I could get an in house instructor. Our local supplier has 2 classes a year. I love Jon Don but it is often a ways to go for a class. They have lots of choices.

Does anyone do a virtual class like a go to meeting sort of thing? Now that would be great. You could use local proxy centers for the test.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I can't imagine NOT utilizing IICRC training with an employee at some point. I am in the process of training my own son in the business; however, he will still be sent to a carpet cleaning class at some point. Probably this summer. Classroom training is an essential element of any proper training program.

hogjowl

Idiot™
He never cleaned with me much growing up. I couldn't stand the stress.

Now that he has made the decision that HE WANTS to be here, I let him begin working with me a few months back ... part time.

He will probably move to full time this summer.

I will probably send him to TCS in June.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
My point is the classroom is a great place to instill good science to how we clean. The field is a place to put that into practical application with a mentor.

You can't tell me you really think sitting in a class is not worth someone’s time?

I think I also said I have had the same experience as Ron.

My second point is how do we look at ourselves as an industry and do a better job both in large companies and small ones.

There has to be a way to improve what we are currently doing.

I send all my new techs to the IICRC carpet, upholstery and odor classes.

They come back with some basic knowledge that is taught in a systematic fashion. They also find a lot of pride when the certificates go up on the wall.

We don't tell them this is the end of learning we tell them this is the beginning.

I know there are a lot of thoughts on these classes in our industry. BUT my green techs do not know this. They see it as an opportunity to learn and become a better professional at what they are doing. It also gives us a common language at our company when we are teaching in the field.

I agree classroom time is great when it is the employer introducing the education process to a green hand because you have begun the mold that suits you.

Mikey P

Administrator
Marty

If the kid speaks English send him out here for a week.

The boy deserves a good clear head start.

And not all the mass confusion you and your never ending search for the silver bullet and longest lasting O ring that well surely fook him up for life.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Tom, its not so much a problem of how "WE" are training the techs, but more how some of the bigger companies are training them. IICRC classes are a given. I learned a LOT from them. But some companies busn model does not allow a tech enough time to "properly" clean a carpet as they are trained in class. They learn the basics and then they learn "how its done in the field". For eg, when I started cleaning with The Bay, they wanted me to clean 2rms and hall in an hour, drive up to drive away, with a portable, Ninja 100. It can be done, let me clarify, it can be "done", but there ain't no way it can really be "DONE", if you know what I mean. I went out on my own and took twice as long and that was before I started vacuuming. Now, if I hired a tech that came from a company like that, they are used to go go go, and I want them to slow down and take their time. But if I get someone that has never cleaned before, I can show him how its supposed to be done, then we can go into little shortcuts.
They train tellers how to discern counterfeit money by showing them the real thing, not by showing them fakes.

Reactions: Mardie

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
After I started in cc and seen what was going on I soon realised that the biggest thing I had going for me is that I was not going about things under the influence of being field trained by these so called professional cc companies. I was able to brake the mold and apply my own personal work ethic because that is all I knew. Work hard, Do your best, Treat people as good as you can, And be 100% honest. Many of these so called professional companies would look at me as being nieve for not taking advantage of the endless ways to cheat the job.

JeremyB

Name
Jeremy
First time posting and I have to say has been an interesting read.
Only fairly new at this game (around 6months) but have previous experince in 'hiring & firing' the biggest things IME that can make or break a prospect is attitude in the first interview followed by an aversion to a trial day (quite common in Australia to do an unpaid trial day). Usually if they make it through 30days without drama then you have a good prospect for long term employment and someone you would do well to invest time and money in with training etc.

My record has been pretty good on people I have hired, one of them is now the manager of the business that I hired him to work in and a few others left the business after I did.

As an employee of a major franchise company in Aus, the whole 'sales' aspect of being a CC is okay but only if the tech is given sufficient time to work on it. Is not unusual for me to have 6 bookings on my daily run sheet with each job allocated 90 minutes including time to travel to the next job. Essentially we get 60 minutes to do on average 4-5 rooms.

Doesn't make it easy to make any decent money.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Well so far I've received about 15 resumes from my Craig's list ad. I interviewed the of them.
The second guy to reply is coming along the route today to see if this his cup of pee.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The problem I see is that many companies see IICRC training as the one and only training needed. It shouldn’t be, in house training should be equally important if not more. While sending a tech to class gives them a great resource for “why we do what we do” it doesn’t help them in the field as much as on going in house training.

We are constantly training the tech’s, it’s an ongoing process. Sure it costs us to do it and yes I hate to see a room full of tech’s not making any money BUT I know without proper training it will only cost us more later if there is an issue.

Customer service training (SFS or VAST type) is equally as valuable as technical training. We regularly revisit those customer service systems that impress the client.

I would suggest you make up your own company training manual, even if it’s just a rough outline to start with and you add to it as you go along. It helps to keep you from reinventing the wheel each time you get a new hire.

Plan on regular training, block off an hour or two to regularly train. Breakfast or lunch meetings work good also. Field tech’s can only handle so much training at a time before they shut down. Its better not to overdue it, break it up into smaller chunks and they can handle it better.

If you have more than just a couple of tech’s paying an instructor to come in and do company training can be cost effective, especially when you factor in travel time and lodging. We’ve done it often and it works quite well.

Just never stop training whether they are new tech’s or seasoned pro’s, continue to invest in them and your company will reap the benefits.

Reactions: TomKing

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
First time posting and I have to say has been an interesting read.
Only fairly new at this game (around 6months) but have previous experince in 'hiring & firing' the biggest things IME that can make or break a prospect is attitude in the first interview followed by an aversion to a trial day (quite common in Australia to do an unpaid trial day). Usually if they make it through 30days without drama then you have a good prospect for long term employment and someone you would do well to invest time and money in with training etc.

My record has been pretty good on people I have hired, one of them is now the manager of the business that I hired him to work in and a few others left the business after I did.

As an employee of a major franchise company in Aus, the whole 'sales' aspect of being a CC is okay but only if the tech is given sufficient time to work on it. Is not unusual for me to have 6 bookings on my daily run sheet with each job allocated 90 minutes including time to travel to the next job. Essentially we get 60 minutes to do on average 4-5 rooms.

Doesn't make it easy to make any decent money.

Do 3-4 jobs per day and make more money and have happier clients. Instead of rushing around like you head is cut off to get to the next job.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Well

Looks like I found a good, if not great, new guy.

All the signs are there.

Tell me what you think after dinner. Don't be cheap. Have him bring a guest.

You said you had 20 applications. How many sent you a resume?

I had a friend tell me he does group interviews with 6 people at a time. He gets them talkiing and sees where things go. Based on the group interview he sets up second interviews.

I make them call a cel phone we keep and leave a message. If they can not leave a decent massage about themselves I go to the next guy.

I also make them send me a resume. If they use the girlfriends email. next.

JeremyB

Name
Jeremy
Do 3-4 jobs per day and make more money and have happier clients. Instead of rushing around like you head is cut off to get to the next job.

I don't have control over the bookings otherwise I would. Bookings are handled by call center and then emailed out to me the night before. I literally don't know what I will be doing the next day till about 7pm each night.
Despite this I have received multiple commendations from customers who have taken the time to let my employer know they appreciated my work and how comfortable they were with the work when I left them.

It is all academic anyway, end of the month I should be out doing my own thing and my employer can suck a fat one.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I don't have control over the bookings otherwise I would. Bookings are handled by call center and then emailed out to me the night before. I literally don't know what I will be doing the next day till about 7pm each night.
Despite this I have received multiple commendations from customers who have taken the time to let my employer know they appreciated my work and how comfortable they were with the work when I left them.

It is all academic anyway, end of the month I should be out doing my own thing and my employer can suck a fat one.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

That is what Mikeys new prospect is going to be saying in 6 months from now after he is all trained up :biggrin:

Last edited:

Mike Draper

If u could only see the tough road ahead to starting a new carpet cleaning business. I'm not saying don't, but it's going to be very tough. Most things in life worthwhile are though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom