Not scrubbing grout lines?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
So over the years I've seen the share of people claiming they never scrub grout lines and the grout lines looks just as good as with people scrubbing them.

I would like to know what is the mystery product that allows as I have not been able to find such thing. I also have a turbo hybrid, crb (just received the tile brush today), the "shark" grout brush which while it works, it is still the usual manual labor work.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I use either Powermax or Oxyblaster. Many jobs don't need scrubbing. Some do. I suppose it depends on what type of jobs you're getting. Luckily, I get a fair amount of easy jobs!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
same here..powermax form cobb for 8 years now..we only scrub the corners and edges and around toilets..many thousands of jobs later nothing but happy customers

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Oxyblaster was good, we also use stonetech klenzall more for stone.

Really any good degreaser should do.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Ok non-scrubbers, what temp are you running consistently and at what pressure are you using .. I use to scrub the grout lines to death until I replaced my jet .. now I just scrub til Im blue in the face .. Id love to just go in with the SX-12 with out the Gekko ..

Chris A

Name
Chris
pro chem power burst and I have to scrub about half the time

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm going to try 2790 next as I was using powermax @ 15 scoops (no tip on hydroforce) and after going over w/ crb (grey brush not black), 900 psi on the turbo, I still had to scrub the grout lines...what a pita.

Name
Steve Lawrence
We use Oxyblaster and always scrub which most usually need. 850 psi and 240 heat. Can't imagine not scrubbing at least the dirtier areas.

Reactions: Art Kelley

hogjowl

Idiot™
Sometimes we tend to make things harder and overly complicated ... just because we are professionals.

Let your chemicals work for you.

I did have to scrub one yesterday. It was a church kitchen with 35 years of mopped on crud on it. I couldn't get it to budge. I am going to post pictures of it later today and ask for suggestions.

Reactions: Art Kelley

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
So mopping it on does a better job than using a hydroforce @ 500 psi w/ no tip? I sprayed it heavy.

I'll try my new black brush on the tm4/15 inch crb, I used the grey brush it did good on the tile itself just not much on the grout. I couldn't tell much of a diff w/ that brush over just letting the chems dwell n hitting it w/ the turbo, but I'll try w/ the black brushes.

What about on commercial tile jobs? You guys are scrubbing every single grout line w/ a grout brush? That seems like it would reduce productivity vs cost of pricing commercial tile jobs out. Unless you got 2-3 guys on the job, 1 mops, 1 scrubs, 1 turbos.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
same here..powermax form cobb for 8 years now..we only scrub the corners and edges and around toilets..many thousands of jobs later nothing but happy customers

I can't think of the last time I've had to scrub a tile job. The one it did Friday had an 8th of an inch of black crud on the grout.

Are yous metering detergent during the extraction process or is it just detergent mopped/sprayed on the tile and hot water rinse only

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
So mopping it on does a better job than using a hydroforce @ 500 psi w/ no tip? I sprayed it heavy.

I'll try my new black brush on the tm4/15 inch crb, I used the grey brush it did good on the tile itself just not much on the grout. I couldn't tell much of a diff w/ that brush over just letting the chems dwell n hitting it w/ the turbo, but I'll try w/ the black brushes.

What about on commercial tile jobs? You guys are scrubbing every single grout line w/ a grout brush? That seems like it would reduce productivity vs cost of pricing commercial tile jobs out. Unless you got 2-3 guys on the job, 1 mops, 1 scrubs, 1 turbos.

Spraying gets all over the place, too much risk, too sloppy. Easier to pour a little down and spread it around with a microfiber mop head.

We don't have a crb, usually just put a brush head on a 175rpm when necessary. In residential setting in front of the stove is main problem area. For commercial we usually scrub the 1st service because its super dirty and you just never know.

Name
Steve Lawrence
We like mopping it on best. You have more control around walls and appliances. It's hotter than a wimpy spray, too. Can't believe somebody above uses 500psi to pre spray tile--I'd really love to see that, LOL.

Reactions: Able&ready
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
For the most part I don't need to really bear down on grout lines with a swivel grout brush on 90+% of my residential jobs. I use two heaping scoops of Oxyblaster in a 1 gallon jug of hot water, 1 scoop of additional sodium percarbonate and 1-2 scoops of powdered enzyme. I pour it out in the field and spread with a truck cleaning brush. My brush has a thick rubber bumper around it and the bristles are long and rather soft. Minimum 10 minutes dwell with no additional brush action. No spraying sh.. everywhere, very controlled and NO moisture on baseboards or cabinetry. While I dwell for 10 I get my rinse toys hooked up and at the ready on the edge of my work.

Back in after 10 minutes and start brushing everything and to take note of what I call "moving of the mud". Yes I have a swivel grout brush handy at the edge of my work. I pitch additional small amounts of solution here and there to make sure everything stays in suspension. I also take note of any pooling and keep that under control by moving that around. It's rare I need to bear down on the grout. This second phase of dwell, observing the mud and making like I'm scrubbing with my truck brush is typically another 10-15-20- minutes. It's pops it so quickly I have to look at my watch and slooooow down. I use 3 different rinse tools and over the years have backed off of any need for pressure over 700 psi even with my Turbo.

I've learned to let the chemistry do the real grunt work. The pressures I use with my internal jet tools are way lower then 700 but my heat stays up, 220-235. My past restaurant work with Chevy and McDonalds are a whole other matter in both rinse pressure and temperature but they are a thing of the past not to be repeated. I learned tremendously from that work but it takes so less effort to pop soil loads off residential there's not comparison between the two.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino

Is anybody using a detergent metered through the truck for the actual "pressure washing" part of the cleaning .. or is it your concoctions applied directly to the floor and a hot water only "pressure wash" rinse

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
lil projects lil tools

big projects, big tools

02 based product

i'll be 175 brushing (Thanks to CleanFreak) and suk mop rinsing the bigger projects now : )

air dry

OR

You could be the Sam's Club Cleaner Hack of the Month and throw down with some Undiluted Purple Power.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Is anybody using a detergent metered through the truck for the actual "pressure washing" part of the cleaning .. or is it your concoctions applied directly to the floor and a hot water only "pressure wash" rinse

Fresh water rinse is most common. Doubt many are using a detergent through the truck, you would go through a lot at 900psi.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I also have to scrub some and others not. I clean anywhere from 800–1000 PSI and use Enzall to pretreat with. We have a heat exchange unit on our Apex which is the only time I would like to have a propane type unit for consistent high heat as this dumps the heat out pretty quick and we stay at a consistent 180°- 200° at the van

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I run a water only pressure washing rinse .. maybe metering a detergent might make the job go faster (less time = less water) although I may have to run a water only rinse at the end to avoid a residue .. maybe use smaller jets to keep the flow down while keeping pressure up at 900 psi .. any ideas .. I just spend too much time cleaning grout and if I can learn to move faster I'd be able to drop the price and do more jobs

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I run a water only pressure washing rinse .. maybe metering a detergent might make the job go faster (less time = less water) although I may have to run a water only rinse at the end to avoid a residue .. maybe use smaller jets to keep the flow down while keeping pressure up at 900 psi .. any ideas .. I just spend too much time cleaning grout and if I can learn to move faster I'd be able to drop the price and do more jobs

Still looking for suggestions - thanks

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
. . . as I was using Powermax @ 15 scoops (no tip on hydroforce) and after going over w/ crb (grey brush not black), 900 psi on the turbo, I still had to scrub the grout lines...what a pita.

Bill;

On some grout jobs the key factor is to:

1. Prespray with an alkaline cleaner with oxidizer (PowerMax)

2. Rinse with the Turbo Hybrid 12"

3. Spray Dynachem Grout Cleaner to etch the grout back to original color.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=1097

4. Vacuum up

Larry

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
What's a good brush for a 175 to scrub residential tile/grout? If it was in this thread, I missed it.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom