% OFF or $ OFF?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If the price is low, a % off can look impressive - example regular price $2, sale price $1, then 50% off looks much better than $1 off.

For most carpet cleaning prices, I would use $ off. $20 off a $400 cleaning bill would attract more than 5% discount.

The exception might be if you were promoting some add-on accessory. Grandi Groom retail price $28.95 SPECIAL 50% OFF!.

Scott Warrington

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Mike West taught me years ago to use 20% - 40% off,
20 if they move all the small stuff, leaving me with just the few big items
40 if open area or empty room

Then just set your price accordingly

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
start at 50/sf to clean wall to wall, moving everything
20% off brings it to 40/sf to move a couple items, ie sofa and chair
40% off brings it to 30/sf for just t/a
The idea was to reward them for getting shtuff outof the way.

If 30/sf is too low, start at 60, then you'd be at 48 and 36/sf
if you want 40/sf empty, start at 66

He seemed to think it works. He make up an ad and just put 20%-40% OFF.
Its one of those ads that works and as time goes on I moved away from it.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I would definitely say free units or dollars are better than making people do math. 1 free room with X amount of rooms, or with entire house cleaning, or actual dollars. My percent off idea tanked. I only got one person mention the add. I was giving 10% to the customer and 10% to a local charity. Nobody cares about kids as much as they do free things for themselves or actual dollars in their pockets. Besides, I made them do math. They are probably expecting a $100.00 whole house cleaning anyway, so I'm only offering them $10.00 in their minds. Spent most the add talking about the charity. They just had to have such a long name. Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Yellowstone County. They deserved my money the most, but it would be a lot easier to promote some two syllable charity like Red Cross....

Back
Top Bottom