Oil in air filter

RichardnTn

A couple of things to do:
1>replace the air filter
2>drain the oil and change the oil filter and fill according to motor specs. not to line on dipstick
3< Excellent point by previous poster....make sure that the choke is not partially closing while the engine is running..

A valve guide, bad valve or ring can contribute to the problem but I would start with the above first....Usually with those problems, the symptoms are more than just oil in the breather....(smoke is an indicator)
You may have to do a visual inspection to determine the problem but even replacing a valve, rings, etc. is not a big deal.... If I had to do that, I would go ahead and do a valve job and new rings...check for heavy scuffing on pistons especially if ring is broken....
Hope ya get 'er fixed..Richard R

Kelly

2000 hours....is 120,000 miles on a car, you know it would be a good thing to pull both plugs....and check the compression. Theres only a couple of reasons why the engine would be spewing oil into its air filter. if its over filled, the rear main should be leaking too and if i can remember right ....you can see the rear main seal on a briggs. save yourself some more time as well ....undo the oil cap while its running and see how much exhaust if any is coming out of the hole where the cap was. same kinda tests ya do on a car engine ...except its the mill in your tm

Name
BradFenstermaker
Replace the motor then have this one fixed for a back up.

I have rebuilt one and was a complete waste. Mostly the mech put one in me.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'm trying hard to care but I just don't give a crap about this silly lil problem "you're" trying to fix on the cheap.

It's prolly just a 5 cent O ring.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'm impressed that Marty run up that many hours working in the few years he had that machine.....

....and still had so much time to spend here!

clean one

So 2000 hrs is about equal to 120,000 miles. So 4550 would be over 240,000 miles wow that's a lot of miles. My van only has 200,000 miles on it and my machine over 240,000. I am starting to get some small oil seepage on the head gaskets, get very little in the air cleaner housing. So Marty be sure you are running the right oil and the correct level, and hopefully is nothing major

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think a briggs can go a lot more than 2k, however it really depends, I seen kohlers blow up with less than 2k, IMO and some will disagree, I have had better reliability out of my briggs than the kohlers I have ran, but then again I have been the only one to run the briggs I use, its never been ran by a chimp. I got 1850 on my briggs, doesn't burn oil and I sure its got at least another 1500hrs in it, I have an old abused briggs that has at least 3500 on it, the hour meter wasn't working when I bought it, the compression is still in great shape. besides a new briggs is only a little over a grand, when mine does go I am gonna replace with a 20hp instead of the 18

the briggs engine is known to blow oil into the air filter housing, clogging the air filter and fowling spark plugs if the engine oil is over filled. drain the engine oil level down about 1/8 of an inch on the dip stick full mark, replaced air filter and spark plugs.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
If yous all would get a REAL MACHINE you wouldn't has ta worry 'bout yor lawn mower engines....

Am i still on Mikeys board or have i landed in OZ????

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Unbolt it and switch it out for a new one.

This is the time of year for repairs.

DO IT NOW!

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
steve g said:
I think a briggs can go a lot more than 2k, however it really depends, I seen kohlers blow up with less than 2k, IMO and some will disagree, I have had better reliability out of my briggs than the kohlers I have ran, but then again I have been the only one to run the briggs I use, its never been ran by a chimp. I got 1850 on my briggs, doesn't burn oil and I sure its got at least another 1500hrs in it, I have an old abused briggs that has at least 3500 on it, the hour meter wasn't working when I bought it, the compression is still in great shape. besides a new briggs is only a little over a grand, when mine does go I am gonna replace with a 20hp instead of the 18

I don't think the 20 is made anymore. I had a 20hp on my spitfire orginally and they no longer made it. They make a 21, which has a larger head span, and a different exhaust manifold...which really pisses me off.

I have gotten more than 4K hours out of both Briggs engines I have used on TM's. I changed oil every 50 hours, always used synthetic, and cleaned the cooling fins several times a year. Never once touched a carb, and changed the plugs and air filter now and then. Adjusted the valves once, had headgasket problesm with the 21, and then a stuck vavle, bent rod...but I beleive that was an easy fix.
Y

You can have a briggs rebuilt for 8-1000K, but you will be down for a week. I would just purchase a new one and you won't have any down time, maybe a day when you swap them out.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yeah. I drove to TCS on Tuesday of this week and had them replace it. While I was there, I had them put a new 2.5 port in the lid of my waste tank. I used one of Greenie's ports.

It really increased my vac. on my machine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom