Ol' Galaxy is gone

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
After buying the Rotovac Ranger, I thought the faithful old EDIC Galaxy would make a fine backup unit.
Turns out that the Chief of Finance and Budget (henceforward COFAB) thought it made sense to sell, in order to repay our bank account and give her access to the back porch.

COFAB won. She always wins. So today a guy came up from Birmingham and paid full price, yay. Actually got more for it than I paid for it six years ago. I sent him off with starter detergent and defoamer, but it is always a bit tough to say adios to a good tool.
Feels great to move forward, though.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Mikey never influenced me to buy one of those things. I forgot they were all the rage at one time.

We should start betting on who he'll indorse next.

And how long it'll last.
Here Marty. I made a video for you. In this episode I do a 2" upgrade on my EDIC.

Reactions: hogjowl

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Mikey never influenced me to buy one of those things. I forgot they were all the rage at one time.

We should start betting on who he'll indorse next.

And how long it'll last.

Is he getting paid to endorse products? Like a contract?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Stephen, so how do you like that Rotovac Ranger?

Rick, the price you quoted was quite fair.
I stumbled over a guy who had purchased his setup four years ago, intending to help coach his adult son back into sobriety.
Even took classes and got certified. Just a few days after it all arrived, his wife found their son upstairs, dead with the needle still in his arm.
My God...

It took them all this time to even face the equipment and it sat in a corner of the livingroom unpacked. He and I talked a long, long time.

His price to me was roughly half of the going rate (but forgive me if I don't say how much, as it is not a reflection on the price you quoted me). I had enough in hand to pay.

Back to your question: I have had to adjust how I do things. Since I have no experience with a truckmount and since my needs include being able to use the van for other things, the Ranger represents a giant step up in capability.

What I like is that I can trundle everything in at once and close the door. I like that the Ranger carries a decent reservoir of water for those instances I out reach the water supply line. I like the way the Rotovac 360i is adaptable and versatile. I have scrubbed vct and tile, carpet and hardwood. It is a fine combo.

What I don't like is having to clean the lint sock, I want an inline filter.
I don't like not being able to put deodorizer inline as I rinse, unless I use the reservoir.

Small adjustments. The thing would suck the butt off a brontosaurus and I get carpets much dryer than before. It is not a high production rate, maybe 4-600 ft/hour but I get home much less fatigued than ever before. Compared to wanding with a 10" stainless wand, it is Heaven.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I still have Slurpy, my 175 (Scrubby) and Senor Rolley. These backups form the Department of Redundancy Department.
Stephen, I love the nicknames you've given your equipment. We've got a few nicknames for our junk--Clyde is our hand held blower, Rex is the RX-20, etc. Yours are descriptive and funny. Well done, Old Coastie!

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Coastie

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have an old edic Galaxy that I inherited from a water damage contractor years ago, like most portys it's worth what I paid for it

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Actually, the new Edic Galaxy is a well designed machine. I always recommend getting the 17 gallon model as it's not much heavier than the 10 gal model and gives you more production time before refilling and emptying. It comes in several versions from 220 psi diaphragm pump and 2-2stage vacs in a single cord to 500 psi and 2-3stages on 2 cords. For a basic machine with 1.5 inch plumbing it works great with short hoses. The big plus is that you can buy an electric heater with its own separate cord that fits on brackets on the back of the machine. Perfect for suites and smaller secure jobs.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Mine was a simple 12 gallon with two 2-stage vacs. But it sure did give me five trouble free years and should give my buyer a lot more good service. Like a Jeep, simple and rugged. Almost elf-proof.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom