Opening links in a new window

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
When you click on a link on the old board it opens a new window. With the new one it doesnt. Is there a setting for that on my end?

Becker

Name
Becker
Re: Nitpicking the new board

I don't know about settings, but I will offer this.

Right click it, then click open in new window or tab.

Name
Bruce

I couldn't find it in the board settings , but I have my mouse wheel set to open in a new tab/new window when I click a link with it.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

Pretty sure that's in the set up side of things, maybe it was deliberate, maybe a setting not changed, I'm sure Mikey/Mark will be onto it soon.

John

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I'm not donating anymore money til Cermack gets the "options" fixed.

Mikey P

Administrator

Opening new browser windows is something that should be left to the user and not the browser. If you want to open a new window, all you need to do is right click or hold down shift when clicking on a link. But if you wanted to open a link on the same page, there is no way to do it. Also, every modern browser supports tabbing and opening new tabs with middle clicking a link.

Opening up new browser windows is like a vacuum cleaner sales person who starts a visit by emptying an ash tray on the customer's carpet. Don't pollute my screen with any more windows, thanks (particularly since current operating systems have miserable window management). If I want a new window, I will open it myself!

Mikey P

Administrator

Nowadays, as tabbed browsing has become more popular, it is extremly annoying: Opening a new window does, well, open a new window when the user actually wanted to reuse an existing tab in the existing window. But he can't just use that window and close the old one because the old one will likely contain the current browsing environment with multiple tabs.

Users only prefer this option until they learn how to open a link in a new window or tab. When they've managed to learn this basic browsing skill, they don't want others to interfer with their window managment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom