Orange Juice on Travertine

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Orange juice spill:

A2935526-E9D6-4318-868B-5DB9550C637D-6801-000007C0D741B70B.jpg

At first I thought there was wax on the tile and the juice had removed it. I cleaned it first with regular tile cleaner, it didn't change a thing. I tried some stripper to one tile and it still did nothing. Would orange juice cause etching like this? If so, or not, what would a remedy be for this?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
When I want to "screw up" some Travertine or Marble prior to a polishing demonstration, I use orange juice. It's cheap, and really etches the limestone-based natural floors big time, really fast.

Charlie, you just found some money, if you do stone polishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Lyman

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Orange juice is acidic. It will etch travertine. So will many other liquids commonly found in the kitchen / dining area - cola drinks, coffee, pickle juice, vinegar, almost any fruit juice, etc.

Should be able to polish that with Spinergy pads or similar.

I am going to try and post before / after photos of a marble bathroom floor. Cleaned with acid bowl cleaner and seriously etched. Restored with Spinergy pads.
View attachment 506View attachment 507

Reactions: Charlie Lyman

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Hmmmm. Looks like learning to polish stone could be usefull. There is just not a lot of tile in Idaho. When I lived in So Cal, there was guys making a living just cleaning tile. Can't do that here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom