over 600 rugs now

rhyde

Name
rhyde
lets do it Bryan,

you can come down and pull any two rugs out of my done bin and dust them and i get to do the same

Ron K

Randy has been on both sides of this. The Moore side and the Hand washing side.

How many Rugs have you ever Hand Washed Ken?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Thank you Bryan for adding some more that I had missed. We also have a 6000 sq ft tackout floor and a 21 x 28 prewash area. Many rus are sent through again by either the hanger or at the QC end. On the hanging side he can send them back on the return built in less than a minute.

I have hand cleaned 100's of rugs and washed many 1000's, not that that really matters, just like it doesn't matter to me whether or not someone has worked in a plant that had a Moore. It is about the integrity of the cleaner and the company not the equipment. I have seen slipshod work come out of plants with Moore's and phenomenal work with pits and visa-versa.

Ken
Ps we are up to 252 rugs brought to us this week through 3pm EST. Last weeks total through the end of the day Tuesday was 241, so we'll hopefully exceed last week's numbers if the pace continues.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Brian, I kinda of hope you take Randy up on his offer.. and not for the sake of showing which ones better but simply from the stand point of board info and education. And I think it would be great if someone like Ken, or Brian, or Ron K or RAndy or anybody doing more than 20 rugs a week shot a video of the sorting process.

There are way to many classes that undermine the importance of rug ID and not only for the purpose of marketing but for the time saved during a sorting process or simply anticipating and identifying problems rugs before they end up in the wrong wash process. I'm not saying everybody should learn rug ID to the nth degree in order to wash rugs..

I am saying that having a respect of the product you are working with and learning the cleaning considerations for certain rugs first can save alot of time as your business grows.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I used to bash Ken for hacking out 99 dollar whole house specials. Then I went www.realtor.com and typed in Detroit. You can pick up houses for 500 bucks. Pullin a 5th of their equity out of their home.

Golden Boy

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
reminds me of the, I can get it just as clean with my portable it just takes longer, conversation

please take Randy up on his offer

Randy doesn't need defending but he has washed many rugs for me, not a speck of dirt in any of them

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'm experienced enough to know that there are a lot of ways to get a rug clean, I don't need to justify what we do, have no interest in rubbing Randy's face in his religion, and everyone involved in a pissing match gets stinky for the entertainment of others. I'm always willing to offer some enlightenment, but I have no interest in playing games.

Just so ya know Randy, the difference between a Moore roller machine and a Moore brush machine is vast. The difference between those and a Merza or Connersville or cylindrical is as well. The difference between two of the same machines in different operations or at different times can be just as vast.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Here's a picture I took when visiting Long Island Cleaners plant a few yrs ago.
This is the first step for many of the hundreds of rugs they clean there.
Most of their customers live in Manhattan.
20 crews and only 3 tm's

StartWashing3.jpg

rhyde

Name
rhyde
You/DA Burns doesn't need to justify your business to me or anyone here thats not the point.

the issue is testing to separate hype, fiction from facts ..a comparison of how clean your Moore roll a jet and me a hand washer get rugs clean. I've got thick enough skin to handle my crushing defeat ..IMO the best lesions in life are losses not wins, you would really be doing me a favor. Come on Bryan let’s do this, A rug version of a bobby flay throw down lets pull apart the BS between hand washing and machine washing.

lets answer the questions... are Moore systems gimmicks that removal little soil run by suits and ties or are Hand Washers back woods hick BDCC that can't afford and don't know nutt'in better!

PS, I have an overwhelming desire to add you to my Christmas card list for your concerns w/ my religion!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Must have been many, many years ago Tony, that machine has not been operational in years unless they brought it back to life since I was there.

Ken
Ps No one wears suits and ties here unless going to a civic function and certainly not our hard working rug cleaners.

harryhides

Name
Tony
June 2003, Ken - there were some pieces of equipment that were no longer working but they had plenty of work to do - huge place but not as big or antiquated as Rug Renovators.

DA Burns was by far the cleanest and organized looking plant that I have seen so far.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I may have been there after that then Tony. At that time the machine was non-functional. They shampood rugs on the floor and only the wringer was still there to extract after hose off the shampoo. Huge building!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey P said:
even she can't stand the Allens.
Good grief Mikey ...there's a huge Piranha marketing banner over there and she's got her own room too!

I've never been into popularity contests they make people apathetic. there are some mighty big claims about washing performance I believe are false yet they don’t want to do comparison testing…..why do you think that is Mikey, what’s your theory ..?

DavidVB

I have enjoyed this thread. Here is a summary of my favorite quotes:

“It is possible to approximate the quality of cleaning results from a Moore Roll-a-jet with a hand wash procedure, but it will take a lot of time and effort.
That's fine if it fits your business profile, but don't confuse effort with results.”

“ah, the age old question.. "How clean is clean?"

“Those that don't have a compression wringer or spin extractor have no way of knowing how much they leave behind.”

And my ultimate favorite:
“everyone involved in a pissing match gets stinky for the entertainment of others. I'm always willing to offer some enlightenment, but I have no interest in playing games.”

How clean is clean? How much time and effort are people willing to pay for to achieve what may be a minor and possibly imperceptible improvement? Will they pay double, triple? Will an investment in a wringer or centrifuge provide improved cleaning and efficiency sufficient to justify the cost?

Bryan talks about our business profile. Each one determines that for himself. That's why we have our own deals. However, few of us (including me) talk nearly as much about business as we do about cleaning methods and equipment. I appreciate the influence Bryan and Ken and some others bring here as businessmen.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We're up to 375 rugs coming in this week as of 3:00 EST today- last week was 315 at the same point in time. Might hit 800 if the pace continues :-)

rhyde

Name
rhyde
DavidVB said:
How clean is clean? How much time and effort are people willing to pay for to achieve what may be a minor and possibly imperceptible improvement? Will they pay double, triple? Will an investment in a wringer or centrifuge provide improved cleaning and efficiency sufficient to justify the cost?

These are all good questions, Dave. I'm not asking you to believe anything i say I'm saying lets cut the BS on both sides lets evaluate the end result of the two cleaning methods and post the results. Dave, no one here has an issue when it comes to comparing truck mounts, w/w cleaning methods, chemicals or vacuums why is this different with rug cleaning methods and their performance?

Nice Ken, is this mostly related to a marketing campaign or is this the normal spring rush for you?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It's a combination Randy- it is geting spring like and our advertising has kicked in~ anniversary sale month. It is the same timeframe every year. The big advertising push started the week of March 8th and now that the weather is cooperating it's clicking.

Ken
Ps 383 now at 3:40- decent chance we'll hit 400 by end of day.

DavidVB

Randy,

I would like to be around if it ever happens. As long as it is perceived as a competition I doubt it ever will.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Theres no competition here these guys clean more rugs and make more money in a day than i do in a month we're in different markets, cleaning volumes, business size, scope of operations any results wont change that.

Then we have a honest evaluation of the cleaning methods

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Ended day at 398 for the week through today- was tempted to add a couple rugs from offices to pump it up to 400 but that would be cheating :-)

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Up 30% this year....

Ken - I am THRILLED to hear about your numbers. We are up this year also. Even have two companies inquiring about wanting to buy our company as well... so, if consumers are cleaning, and companies are investing, then those are good signs.

With the "other" conversation going on here - between mechanized cleaning and more hands-on cleaning - here is the distinction... if you KNOW cleaning, and are thorough, a low-tech can outclean a high-tech operation. It will take them MUCH longer, but it is possible.

But here's the deal... when you have cultivated a list of REPEAT clients who come to you annually for cleaning, then you are cleaning not heavily soiled rugs, so a lot of this argument becomes moot. A lightly soiled rug can be cleaned excellently by both methods.

Some people want a large company, and volume-based. I think that's awesome. You get to support a lot of good people and families and creating value in the community in the work you do and the lives you support.

We like a smaller workshop operation. We do 100-200 rugs a week. $4-$5 sq ft base price on all fibers (natural and synthetic). Our team is 7 people. It's ideal for us. We get quality connecting time with clients. We get to focus on all areas of each rug one at a time.

Which model is "best" depends on what kind of life you want to build.

I've been to DA Burns - it's a phenomenal operation. Bryan cares about quality and relationships. I expect Ken's operation is also awesome because he obviously cares as well about rugs and people.

But let's say that either of their operations had no PREP work - no thorough dusting, or pre-treatment, or watchful eyes - and it was a 5-minute wash cycle. It would not be as great as Hyde's - nowhere near it ... but it would still be better than these hacks who surface clean rugs in the home with their portable or truckmount. No dusting, limited rinsing, no fringe work, and often using solutions that are not the most effective as the solutions used for in-plant cleaning and with the large volume of water used.

And that's all just my opinion based on crappy Moore cleaning from Los Angeles versus pieces we get from carpet cleaning companies who fail with their in-home strategies.

Hope that helps add some more fuel to the fire,
Lisa

Ron K

Lisa you just called most carpet cleaners Hacks.

So if an "In-Plant" operation or any BDCC does on location Rug Cleaning they are Hacks.... well said.

You are now on my Christmas card List.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom