Owner Ops - Workers Comp or?????

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Does your area allow worker's comp on the owner? Or do you carry an insurance policy on yourself?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
There's one apartment complex here in my area that won't hire me because I don't have workmanship comp. Since I"m an owner op, it's called a ghost policy that I would have, and I would not be covered if my back broke on the job, but I'd be able to do the job.

There's just not enough of that kind of work worth me getting it yet

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
In BC you have 2 types of policies. One, you pay a percentage of what you pay yourself or employees. Two, is a personal protection plan where you pay a fixed amount for a specific benefit plan.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
In Idaho, and WA owners are exempt from workmans compensation coverage. When I was an owner operator, I had an exemption letter that I gave out that quoted the statutes and my exempt status. Not using you because of that could result in a lawsuit. I never once had an issue with it. Those days are long behind me now...

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I think we could carry workers comp on the owner in Minnesota, but not required....

BUT....you do have to have it on employees....huge fines and penalties if caught without.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just won't get a lot of commercial in BC if you don't have it. They have made it easy to check. You can type in any company's name into Worksafe's data base and it will tell you if they have coverage. Some companies check and others don't. The personal coverage I have is $43 per month and it gives me $1900 per month compensation if I am injured. It also allows me to access their physical rehab programs and quicker medical services.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
It is an optional add on for us. Costs more for the owner to be added to the policy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom