ozone to remove Urine smell from rugs?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'm thinking of making an Ozone chamber/room to insert urine soaked rugs before the cleaning process... do you think this will work.
My space is limited so the rugs would still be rolled up instead of hung or layer out.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Thanks for the input Pat.
I was hoping ozone would be an alternative to using so much water and Chems on some of the rugs we get in..

Name
Nate W.
I've read Lisa Wagner has had experience using the hydroxyl generator....

I'd just remove the source like Tommy said.... I understand you guys are in a drought, but you need to flush that baby....

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Ozone works one molecule at a time. If all the contamination is still in the rug, that is a lot of molecules to oxidize.

Wool Medic to emulsify, dissolve, loosen the contamination. Wool Zone when you rinse. Easy rinsing. Will save considerable on chemical and water usage.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ozone works one molecule at a time. If all the contamination is still in the rug, that is a lot of molecules to oxidize.

Wool Medic to emulsify, dissolve, loosen the contamination. Wool Zone when you rinse. Easy rinsing. Will save considerable on chemical and water usage.

Thanks Scott, never heard of that before.

I don't think our suppliers carry either of those products though. :(

:yoda:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
It has been my experience: As urine dries, the liquid evaporates but the urine crystals become even more concentrated and pungent. Simple cleaning will not remove this odor. In fact, these urine crystals are frequently re-activated by moisture.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
High humidity reactivates any remaining uric salts.

However if a good cleaning removes the salts then I can see where little other treatment is necessary.
I was simply question the practice of charging for doing so if it took no more effort than any other rug. :headscratch:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If the urine is fresh, just rinsing and cleaning will take it out. If dried, in my experience, rinsing and cleaning alone won't do it without some extra (acid, enzymes or other products) treatment.

So, honestly, is Harry and the rug brotherhood, holding out with some professional secret on us?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Living in a state of perpetual high humidity & pissy rugs, when I USED to clean rugs, I would soak them using Acetic Acid to neutralize the Urine salts, prior to thorough rinsing, dry & groom.

My Acetic Acid was 90%, but well reduced. :winky:

If those salts are not neutralized, (just like table salts absorb moisture & go all claggy), the urine salts will also absorb moisture & off-gas that oh so familiar odor once again.

I didn't have access to many of these products now available.

Many down under still don't, so you have to make do with what you can. :(

:yoda:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Urine is composed of water, excess proteins, hormones, inorganic salts, urea, uric acid and urochrome [a natural pigment]. The water part evaporates, leaving alkalineurine salts. These salts are hygroscopic [moisture loving] and attract atmospheric moisture, which causes odor to be released. These salts are not water-soluble. The protein that remains also attracts bacteria that feed on it. The bacteria causes odor.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What if it still slightly smelled after the first cleaning. If he did unroll it and tarp it; would the ozone knock it out then?

One of the "dirty tricks" that ozone can play on you is the way a whiff of it desensitizes your sense of smell for a period of time.

What that means is when you turn off the machine, even if you have just a brief exposure to the gas, you won't easily smell remaining urine (or much of anything else) for a bit, and you might think the odor is gone, but it's not.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
A lot of water and multiple washings seems to be the only answer then.
Many of the urine soaked rugs we clean are indo tufted. IMO not worth the expense of in plant cleaning-- but seems custies don't want to deal w hassle of buying new.-- So many times we have to remove the backing and wash away the glue and urine salts and re-glue the backing.
The Rug Sucker finally redeemed its self on a urine soaked knotted rug----But Good News Centrum Force/ Tom-- I still wish I had the space for a centrifuge.

rmann

Name
Robert Mann
Mr. Jockey makes a good point. If something like half the rugs that come into a plant have urine in them, and a careful wash will take care of nearly all of them -except the most extreme cases - then why the big push to add big extra charges on to our client's tickets? I understand the need to make money to support our businesses and families, but when cleaners brag about charging a lot extra for 'decontamination' and other services that are basic components of doing a good job it starts to sound like price gouging.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
A lot of water and multiple washings seems to be the only answer then.
Many of the urine soaked rugs we clean are indo tufted. IMO not worth the expense of in plant cleaning-- but seems custies don't want to deal w hassle of buying new.-- So many times we have to remove the backing and wash away the glue and urine salts and re-glue the backing.
The Rug Sucker finally redeemed its self on a urine soaked knotted rug----But Good News Centrum Force/ Tom-- I still wish I had the space for a centrifuge.

Obviously, Centrum Force has tools, like The Rug Sucker and U-Turn, to sell directly off its website. Note: Centrum Force will show some new tools at Rug Summit 10 that may help deal with Tufted and other rugs.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Ironic you say "honestly" but then state to charge more for urine contamination yet you say the wash takes care of it. :eekk:

Mr. Jockey makes a good point. If something like half the rugs that come into a plant have urine in them, and a careful wash will take care of nearly all of them -except the most extreme cases - then why the big push to add big extra charges on to our client's tickets? I understand the need to make money to support our businesses and families, but when cleaners brag about charging a lot extra for 'decontamination' and other services that are basic components of doing a good job it starts to sound like price gouging.

I most cases, multiple deep cleanings will remove the odor---
But in extreme cases where the need of a more powerful And Expensive chemical such as U-Turn in used-- I would have to charge extra to make a profit.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I agree whole heartedly with papa john. The more labor you expend and the more chemical you use the more it costs. It's one thing to clean a rug that the dog peed on accidently. It's completely different with the rug that the cat peed on 20-30 times to send you a message.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm all for valid charges no matter what the cost. We deal with adjusters daily and they take apart out billing line item by line item.

However if we can't justify it we don't bill for it. If more is needed to process the rugs then by all means charge more.

I was merely questioning the practice of billing for a process that didn't actually happen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom