pH on residential

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
After a few years of cleaning with my BrushPro/portable, I just started using a TM again.

I asked my supplier for residential prespray recommendations. He pointed out 2-3 of the most popular products - all over 10+ pH. Said everyone is running a rinse to drop the pH back to neutral.

I don't usually clean with any high pH products, residential or commercial, and rinse with plain water.

What do you do?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Long discussion about the manufacturer's requirements and need for certain PH and is it really necessary. Some say that a neutralized high PH (acid rinsed) will not cause damage, as the damage happens (to dyes) in the continuous exposure to the high ph (residue). Some say it is damaging and will remove some of the stain resist particles. Who knows.

However, Red Line from Master Blend has enzymes, delimonine (in other words will address most cleaning needs) + is a very good cleaner (competes successfully with many high PH products) and it does not exceed the PH requirements.

In my experience, some pre-sprays do not rinse very well with just water. But please ignore, if this is going to start another Armageddon style discussion about rinsing :winky:

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I usually stay with moderate ph products. 8.5-10 on average. I add extra agitation when needed. High pH products can not only damage carpets but they can damage you too. They can burn your skin, eyes and mucus membranes if you're breathing it. Just as you have to be careful handling strong acids such as rust remover, you have to be as careful handling strong caustic solutions. Says the guy who has severely burned his hands in the past.

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When I learned how to clean carpet, back in '97, my boss gave me Dixie steamway formula 0 .Ph of around 8 and did just a plain water rinse. To my knowledge, he had no complaints.

steve_64

When I learned how to clean carpet, back in '97, my boss gave me Dixie steamway formula 0 .Ph of around 8 and did just a plain water rinse. To my knowledge, he had no complaints.
I've never used the product but today polyester is harder to clean than the old stuff. Matted traffic lanes need lots of additional help whether it's aggitation or stronger prespray or cleaning g twice.

Besides most of us dilute everything down anyway.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rob; It depends on the buffering of the prespray.

PowerMax is unbuffered, so the pH will drop with the rinse (All Fiber Rinse or water).

We do not use Sodium Carbonate in our cleaners, since we think it leaves a residue.

Also, any builder with pH over 12 is very difficult to rinse out of carpet .

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Sodium percarbonate is an oxidizer.

It is the product I talked about with the technical director of CRI about.

I told them it is used extensively in the carpet cleaning industry for stain and pet odor removal with a pH of 10.5.

Even though stain-resist not harmed by that pH,

the CRI still clings to a pH limit of 10 for dyes that aren't stabil.

Last edited:
Reactions: vibra-vacster

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Well I guess I'll just throw away that new container of CTI's Firestorm with a PH of 13.

I JUST CAN'T WIN!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Try that high pH prespray on a a carpet sample.

Prespray normally, give it ~ 10 minutes.

Make your normal rinse/vac pass over it.

Recheck the pH with a few drops of distilled water .

Let us know the pH result . . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom