Polishing Marble

Jamesh921

Name
James
I'm new to polishing stone and need to know how to charge.

I have a motel lobby that has only minor scratches. I'm going to use a 3000 grit followed with an 8000 grit to bring back some shine to the floor.

So, do you charge per sq. ft. for each polishing?

Or what is your formula for charging for this service?

Thanks

Mikey P

Administrator
Non carpet cleaning stone pros will usually charge by the day.

Around here it's about $1200 per day or $700 for a half day/smaller job

When I was tinkering with polishing it felt like a buck a step/grit is what it would take to bring in carpet cleaning dollars.

mcatt

Name
Mike
I never did it the way your describing. I only have used the polishing powder to bring back the finish which works great. Not sure if that will take care of the scratches your describing? I try to get $1.50 sq ft or so for a polish and rinse.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
If it is in fact "minor" Then a Polishing powder is what you need....that 3000 will either not make a dent....or make a big mess (though so will the powder if not done right)

and Mikey is right...around a buck a ft per grit....then of course adjust depending on the custy

Jamesh921

Name
James
OK so about a buck to a buck fitty a foot per grit. Thanks

Can you elaborate more on how to use the powder and what the difference is between using the powder and the diamond pads? And which brand of powder?

I was planning on using the 3000 and 8000 grit diamond pads and then applying Spinergy's "Revive" Enhancer and Sealer. If this isn't going to give me the "like-new" results I'm looking for, what "should" I be doing/applying?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
James;

A well-formulated polishing powder consists of several components:
1. A very fine abrasive to cut the stone
2. A time-release acid component to enhance the polishing process
3. A polishing resin to add to the shine It does take a little practice to obtain the optimum results.

This is our product:
http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/ind..._in_description=1&keyword=stone+polish+powder

After getting the polish level required,
the next step is a solvent-based fluorochemical sealer for protection (.75 to $1/sq.ft.)

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78

Larry

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
If you have such basic questions about polishing, I would recommend that you go get about 6 to 10 sqft of different stones and install it on pallets to practice on....before you hit the customer's floor with anything.

I think a little practice in your garage could be huge in terms of confidence on what you can and can not do...you could etch it and polish it back to shiny. You could scretch it with a key or sand paper and bring it back to shiny.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Only you can know what you need to charge for particular situation. There are many different business models. That being said, most folks that I know of are about $1 to $1.50 for the clean and first grit. An additional .75 to $1 for each additional grit when using diamond pads.

The Revive color enhancer can be helpful, but personally I don't usually like it on marble. (It does look great on the slate floor in my home.) I would suggest a penetrating sealer such as Spinergy SolidRock.

Since you never mentioned the level of shine that you are going after, we can't know what is "like new" condition.

Here is a rule-of-thumb on how to decide on what pads to use. If you can tell the floor is scratched and abraded but can't feel the scratches with your finger tips, consider starting with an 8,000 grit pad. (It is still possible that you need a 3,000, but not likely.) Then go to the 11,000 for the highest gloss level.

If you can feel the scratches but they are minor (not something you could put a fingernail into) then start with the 3,000 grit pad and work your way up.

C

clean image

You did not mention what kind of marble is it

Different marbles require different p methods

If you don't know what your doin do not cut it(hone) unless you have a pro on hand

I can say. If you, As a novice can see scratches. It's gonna need more than a monkey pad. And your probably gonna need a pro

Jamesh921

Name
James
If you have such basic questions about polishing, I would recommend that you go get about 6 to 10 sqft of different stones and install it on pallets to practice on....before you hit the customer's floor with anything.

I think a little practice in your garage could be huge in terms of confidence on what you can and can not do...you could etch it and polish it back to shiny. You could scretch it with a key or sand paper and bring it back to shiny.

That ther' is some good advice Zee. Thanks.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Only you can know what you need to charge for particular situation. There are many different business models. That being said, most folks that I know of are about $1 to $1.50 for the clean and first grit. An additional .75 to $1 for each additional grit when using diamond pads.

Very helpful

The Revive color enhancer can be helpful, but personally I don't usually like it on marble. (It does look great on the slate floor in my home.) I would suggest a penetrating sealer such as Spinergy SolidRock.

I wonder why my I-link distributor didn't mention this when I was buying the 80.00 dollar per gallon Revive?? Hmmm......

Since you never mentioned the level of shine that you are going after, we can't know what is "like new" condition.

Well, high gloss is how I would put it. I don't remember ever seeing a low gloss marble.

Here is a rule-of-thumb on how to decide on what pads to use. If you can tell the floor is scratched and abraded but can't feel the scratches with your finger tips, consider starting with an 8,000 grit pad. (It is still possible that you need a 3,000, but not likely.) Then go to the 11,000 for the highest gloss level.

If you can feel the scratches but they are minor (not something you could put a fingernail into) then start with the 3,000 grit pad and work your way up.

This info is VERY helpful. The motel lobby isn't really bad at all. It just looks like a "haze" is on the tile - and that is what I'm calling scratches. It doesn't have any gouges at all.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
haze??? could have been crystalized....which can cause hazing....can you go back and take some pics???

mcatt

Name
Mike
OK so about a buck to a buck fitty a foot per grit. Thanks

Can you elaborate more on how to use the powder and what the difference is between using the powder and the diamond pads? And which brand of powder?

I was planning on using the 3000 and 8000 grit diamond pads and then applying Spinergy's "Revive" Enhancer and Sealer. If this isn't going to give me the "like-new" results I'm looking for, what "should" I be doing/applying?

I like to use stone pro polishing powder. Always work great for me and our clients love the outcome. Any real deep scratches I don't personally handle and refer out.

Name
Yohance

I totally agree. When I first started dealing with stone I would go and buy 8 to 10 pieces of stone and practice. A buck to buck and a half is a great starting point. Just do small areas at a time.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Stick with the monkey pads. You won't get pro results but at least you shouldn't get in trouble. Look at the reflection of lights on the edges to determine what "like-new" looks like. Do a test on the field and see if your plan will match the edges. If it's high shine you'll need some luck with just the monkeys.

Next best thing would be just powder polishing. Like the previous poster mentioned, diaglo wich is stone pro's green powder is a fairly easy powder. This one step will get you better results then your original plan but some experience is required. Even better would be using an 800 grit monkey to cut the stone a bit followed by powder polish.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom