Porcelain tile problem

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
hi guys I have a job with some large porcelain tile 2x3 . Looks to be very absorbent really . The stuff looks rough lots of dirty areas most likely from janitor using dirty mop bucket and just laying in the dirty water. I used some prochem alkaline cleaner the green stuff and let it sit for a bit . As I walked over it to scrub grout lines I could see the almost white impression from my shoes in the tile but the scrubbing won’t break the rest of the soil down . I have used a floor scrubber and still those foot prints will show up. Where I left a grout brush the tile lightens up too. I have let the product sit for 20 min and still same problem. This stuff is all over . Any tips. The area by the toilet cleaned up ok . But it’s like the tile is absorbing the dirt but only where I step does it work lol. If you zoom in on the picture of the lobby you can see the spots .

IMG_9271.png IMG_9272.png IMG_9295.jpeg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Did you test to see if a wax finish is on top. It looks like it is from the color difference around the toilet.

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Definitely no wax. This stuff has been down for about a year .the area around the toilet cleaned up fine . It’s the open areas with high traffic that are being difficult

Reactions: SamIam

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Ill post the way to deal with the unglazed porcelain tomorrow
Thanks Mike of you have any tips I could try in the meantime it would be appreciated I have to work on this a bit more today.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks Mike of you have any tips I could try in the meantime it would be appreciated I have to work on this a bit more today.
We have no idea why any manufacturer could ever think that a porous man-made tile would be a good idea, but unfortunately a few of them did and you’ll have to clean some one day. Since the tile has been absorbing mop water, spills, oils, and pet messes, you will need to tackle these floors differently than regular glazed porcelain and ceramics.

*Work in small areas, 200 square feet at a time if you have a helper or 100 square feet if you do not.

*Apply a high-pH cleaner and agitate it in with a 175 and brush or fiber pad or a CRB with stiff brushes, and use a spinner tool at 1000 PSI to quickly extract the suspended soil before it gets a chance to settle back in. You will be left with a splotchy, ugly mess if you try to clean too much area at once.

*Speed dry with fans to prevent wicking.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
We have no idea why any manufacturer could ever think that a porous man-made tile would be a good idea, but unfortunately a few of them did and you’ll have to clean some one day.Since the tile has been absorbing mop water, spills, oils, and pet messes, you will need to tackle these floors differently than regular glazed porcelain and ceramics.

*Work in small areas, 200 square feet at a time if you have a helper or 100 square feet if you do not.

*Apply a high-pH cleaner and agitate it in with a 175 and brush or fiber pad or a CRB with stiff brushes, and use a spinner tool at 1000 PSI to quickly extract the suspended soil before it gets a chance to settle back in. You will be left with a splotchy, ugly mess if you try to clean too much area at once.

*Speed dry with fans to prevent wicking.

Just like wicking with a berber, you can remove the dreaded next day " brown out" with an floor machine and microfiber pads, along with a bit of a real encap.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The toilet area cleaned up great, are they sealing it when done?

Would that help with the next cleaning?

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
Well I hit it again today . Actually when it had overnight to dry it was a little better . I soaked it with alkaline cleaner let it set for about 10 minutes and ran a Maroon pad with a 175. Some areas still in rough . The funny thing is if you step on the floor or something heavy like auto scrubber you can see where it was. It like if anything rubber is weighted down on it it digs deep into the tile . Overall it way better today after another try, but I can still see the occasional light foot print . I will be working on this location again in six months. It’s possible there is some kind of mop a glow on it . The cleaning crew that did the construction cleaning had put some mop a glow on the lvt ( another cluster **** we had to clean up) and I bet they did some on this tile . . I wonder if we could use some stripper on it ?

IMG_9305.jpeg

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Well I hit it again today . Actually when it had overnight to dry it was a little better . I soaked it with alkaline cleaner let it set for about 10 minutes and ran a Maroon pad with a 175. Some areas still in rough . The funny thing is if you step on the floor or something heavy like auto scrubber you can see where it was. It like if anything rubber is weighted down on it it digs deep into the tile . Overall it way better today after another try, but I can still see the occasional light foot print . I will be working on this location again in six months. It’s possible there is some kind of mop a glow on it . The cleaning crew that did the construction cleaning had put some mop a glow on the lvt ( another cluster **** we had to clean up) and I bet they did some on this tile . . I wonder if we could use some stripper on it ?
Stripper won't hurt .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom