Prevent moss & algae or mold growth on brick & stone surfaces

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Pressure washing is a quick fix but I am looking for more, I want to kill & slow down the moss\mold growth as much as possible so the areas look great year round, customers exact words are "I want it looking perfect everyday" so cost of product is not a concern, my plan is to treat the areas a couple of times for a few weeks then 175 scrub followed by pressure wash. Looking for suggestions.

1. 50% Bleach\water
2. 50% Bleach\water+trisodium phosphate
3. http://www.mossout.com/walk.htm
4.???

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 548

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Visiting isn't the issue, I am there once a week "maintaing" the interior...she has been a client for 19 years so I know what she expects & will be satisfied with.

Pressure washing has risks associated that I would like to avoid, blowing out mortar & streaking just to name a few.

I could test a few products in the lower Rose Garden, I doubt they have stepped foot down there in years & its pretty bad.
IMG_0210.jpg

Reactions: scrrocks

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
IMG_0227.JPG
D/2 looks perfect for small areas but at 300 sqft coverage per gallon I will need at least 1 drum at $1760.00

I grabbed some bleach & white vinegar on my way out this morning & had some of Cobbs Powder Brightener Oxidizer to try, sprayed all 3, gave 15 minutes of dwell & then scrubbed, vinegar did nada, Oxidizer fizzed but the bleach was the clear winner (did not rinse, wanted to leave overnight for further observation)

Reactions: dgardner
Name
cameron demille
I have no idea how you came up with a drum for 300 feet.

You can spray it on, let it sit. Spray another coat, then scrub.

Once its all clean, you can spray it again and walk away. It will prevent future buildup

1 gallon should do your 300 feet

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
9000 sqft has moss, thats 30 gallons for the initial treatment alone, at $40 a gallon D/2 has to be at least 5x "better" then other products to justify the cost.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
How about this. You pay the shipping and ill send you a gallon to try. Just take some pictures and give me some feedback

Sounds great, provide some test intructions & I will set up an area just for D/2 & can follow the results over the next few months.

Paypal or mail you a check for shipping?

More areas (Client has had pressure washer issues in the past & warned against streaks & damage so cant just blast it away)

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Reactions: scrrocks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I remember Ken Horton saying he had a client with the same problem. He had a slide show with an upscale property where they had trees on this huge sidewalk that would create the problem. He had photo's of where they treated it and it didn't grow back.

I don't remember if it was his product (Bioprotect) on one of his concrete products. http://www.bioprotectionservices.com/

Reactions: Jim Nazarian

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What ever it was and it may very well be the Bioprotect because it has the residual fighting ability, worked very well. He said they had tried numerous products until they used what ever it was but it did the trick.

Looked just like your pictures but a side walk at a mansion.

Name
jack zerkie
In south Florida I use pool bleach. I used for over 25 years for exterior. The bleach works great when mixed properly and it,s affordable . The main fix is LOTS of water after the cleaning. Their are many other cleaners to use but cost is important. I have two pressure cleaners one with a small 5 horse engine and another with a 12 Hp the pressure will push over 4500 psi. But just pressure only blows the mold away ,but doesn,t kill the mold. The pool bleach makes a big difference. And the leftover bleach is used on some carpet jobs. jz.

Name
cameron demille
9000 sqft has moss, thats 30 gallons for the initial treatment alone, at $40 a gallon D/2 has to be at least 5x "better" then other products to justify the cost.

I misread your original post, I thought you meant the whole job was 300 feet and it would take a drum. Sometimes I'm too dumb to read.

PM me your shipping address and I'll let you know what the cost is. I can ship it out tomorrow. Even if it's too expensive to use, I'd like to see how it stacks up to other stuff on this job. We don't really run into stuff that has this much moss on it. All the instructions/options are on the jug

Maybe you can use it as a preventative treatment. Upsell them for this. You should be able to get around 1000 feet per gallon if you do this.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Boneston started caring D2 not to long ago.

I talked to the a main guy a couple years ago..

Basically takes longer too work, and cost a lot more, however it;s suppose to kill spores deep within that the sodium hypochlorite does not. The advantage is wont kill surrounding foliage.

downside is its expensive...

You also can look into wet and forget.. costco sells it, maybe similar techno

I would use outdoor bleach/ cleaner, sold (forget name) at HD/ lowes, its super thick and dilute. and turbo with steam, steam kills, and then try the D2, vs maybe wet and forget, vs nothing.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Thinking of using D2 in the critical areas like the steps & around the pool & looking for something more cost effective in the other areas.

I saw http://wetandforget.com/product_wet_and_forget_outdoor.html on the Home Depot web site & thought it would be to weak of a product since it was available to consumers, but I will purchase some & add it to our testing.

Tanman, I will call you in the morning, thanks!

A few more pictures I took today of "Mossvilla"

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 419

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I did a quick side by test, Clorox Outdoor Bleach Cleaner on the left & D\2 on the right (middle kind of untouched) (Clorox was 50 % water dilution)
Spray-15 minute dwell-nylon broom scrub, rinse off.

If appearance & cost were the deciding factors Clorox would be the clear winner, I assume D\2 will do a better job "killing" the bacteria-fungazide & might slow down regrowth but at what cost?

More testing of d\2 next week, thanks Cameron for everything!
IMG_0253.jpg

A better right side before picture if anyone cares

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: Mikey P

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
All the products mentioned so far appear to be only "cleaners".

I don't see an initial cleaning as being too much of a challenge, but I see there are several products marketed as "blockers", "controllers" and "inhibitors".

Not familiar with any of them myself, and they appear pretty pricey.

My first thing to try would be a carefully wetting it down with a weak bleach solution at regular intervals, possibly with a pump/power sprayer, before rolling the dice with such pricey products.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-1-gal-Mold-Control-Jug-025001/100654369?N=5yc1vZc6c3

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mold-Arm...ver-Plus-Blocker-FG523/100678523?N=5yc1vZc6c3

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Storm-Sy...tant-Barrier-69004XX-1/205672582?N=5yc1vZc6c3

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-ga...dew-Inhibitor-ZUCSM128/202711556?N=5yc1vZc6c3

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ultra7-Mold-Blocker-Plus-1-gal-ULT70GAL/202815978?N=5yc1vZc6c3

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I've been pressure washing on/off fer long time. You might consider learning that skill and taking the mystery out of it. I'm also spoiled, I can throw my 1800 psi washer on board and it plumbs right into my propane heater (it's a pressure washer heater). I do 3 to 5 of those jobs per year effortlessly. It can me done quickly, low pressure and fast without chemicals. What's gonna be the long term effect of those chems in the soil?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom